The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Project TV 2M8O

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 41>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2019 at 11:40AM
**CLICK ON PICS TO ENLARGE AND CLICK AGAIN TO SUPERSIZE**

Last weekend, I made a bit more progress... got the mounting bosses welded onto the Flowmasters this week at work...

so I hung then just to verify they work OK...

then sandblasted them so I could drop them off for powder coating once I determine how I want to do them.

Blasted the grill/header brace and shot it with a couple coats of chassis black...

and then pressurized the cooling system looking for the leaks. Only visible sign was a bit of seepage around the radiator drain petcock. Got a spacer to extend it out a bit farther beyond the core support flange and I think I'm going to replace the thermostat gasket and the mounting hardware with slightly shorter bolts to resolve that issue as well.

This weekend, I drained the radiator so I could see what the issue was with the drain petcock wings hitting the core support flange. Since I couldn't open the drain all the way due to the interference, it was a long and agonizing process that seemed to take forever!
Once the level got below the upper radiator hose level, I pulled off the upper hose and thermostat housing to replace the gasket. Evidently the gasket that came with the thermostat (or the one they sold me with the thermostat?) was a junk paper gasket that was totally mush when I pulled the housing off the intake manifold. I coated the Fel-Pro gasket with gasket sealer and stuck it onto the hose outlet housing awaiting re-installation. Also checked the thread depth on the housing mounts into the intake manifold and they're plenty deep enough for the stock hardware, so the issue was entirely that gasket.
When the radiator had finally stopped draining, I removed the lower radiator hose, transmission lines and fan shroud then removed the upper hold downs and pulled the radiator and drained the residual coolant into the catch pan.

Comparing the replacement radiator with the OEM radiator, I found that the drain hole was 1/2" lower in the new one accounting for the interference. I trimmed away a portion of the rubber lower insulator to clear the petcock wings and also plan on taking a die grinder and adding a slight relief to the core support flange for that extra little bit of clearance.

Once these two issues are resolved, I (hopefully) will have no further coolant leaks!! ... and by the way, that Evans Waterless Coolant is the oilest stuff ever. I thought regular coolant was bad, but this stuff is almost impossible to wipe up, but once my leaks are resolved, I should never have to deal with it again!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2019 at 12:06PM
Looks great Joe.  Hopefully you finally got that coolant leak resolved.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2019 at 1:52PM
any news on paint guys????
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
T-Bird_79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Bird_79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2019 at 6:34AM
Personally I don't like those waterless coolants: this is not a miracle, you gain something, but also loose something. Ordinary coolant is mix of ethylenglycol and water plus additives to inhibit corrosion. This  is compromise between cooling capabilities, boiling temperature and resistance to corrosion. The best coolant on earth is pure water, waterless coolant, which basically is pure ethylenglycol is much worse coolant, but has much higher boiling temperature. Ordinary coolant is not as good at cooling as water, but better than waterless coolant. So what I want to say: the waterless coolant will boil at high temperature, but the engine will run hotter than with ordinary coolant. It will not boil, but it can overheat.
Andris
1979 Ford Thunderbird
1977 Opel Commodore Coupe Euro personal luxury car
1969 Vauxhall Viva small American
1989 Opel Kadett GSi 16V known as Pontiac LeMans
1978 Moskvitch 412 Soviet rally
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2019 at 12:17PM
Originally posted by T-Bird_79 T-Bird_79 wrote:

Personally I don't like those waterless coolants: this is not a miracle, you gain something, but also loose something. Ordinary coolant is mix of ethylenglycol and water plus additives to inhibit corrosion. This  is compromise between cooling capabilities, boiling temperature and resistance to corrosion. The best coolant on earth is pure water, waterless coolant, which basically is pure ethylenglycol is much worse coolant, but has much higher boiling temperature. Ordinary coolant is not as good at cooling as water, but better than waterless coolant. So what I want to say: the waterless coolant will boil at high temperature, but the engine will run hotter than with ordinary coolant. It will not boil, but it can overheat.

T-Bird, the reason I decided to go with the Evans coolant was the corrosion resistance and boil-over protection. First time I saw this stuff was on Jay Leno's Garage, and Jay swears by it because of it's corrosion resistance with aluminum and other alloys.

Here is some info on the Evans coolant...

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2019 at 12:39PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

any news on paint guys????

CJ, spoke with him briefly last week and he has started building his new shop and won't be taking on any new projects until about September, so I have time to get a few more systems dialed in before handing her off for bodywork and paint. 

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2019 at 6:48PM
 Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2019 at 7:09AM

A little bit of metalwork this weekend. Added the clearance radius for the drain petcock wings...

and trimmed the core support for clearance around the transmission cooler hoses...

I'll have to leave welding it in to the body shop because the welder won't reach from where it's setting.

Next weekend, I'll reinstall everything.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2019 at 8:34AM
welder won't reach... what are you using for a welder? thin sheetmetal i'd think you're using a 110v wire feed?...extension cord Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2019 at 10:17AM
220V Miller mig........ no extension cord.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2019 at 11:50AM
Shocked
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2019 at 11:38AM

To bring you up to date since my last post, nothing major has taken place. Weekend before last, I helped a buddy with his car, so nothing got done on the Tomato.

Last weekend, I added teflon tape to the radiator drain cock to aid in sealing...

shot some paint on the core support petcock clearance relief...

finished fabricating a filler piece for the core support transmission cooler lines clearance cutout...

and then spent some time using my borescope to try and determine if the passenger side footwell dimple could be used as a wireway for the siren/police radio wiring. Couldn't be 100% sure, so I'll just wait until the car is apart in the body shop and then I can get a really clear look.

This weekend, I got everything put back together up front.

Next weekend I need to finish routing the trans cooler lines and get them connected then refill the radiator, check the power steering and transmission fluids and the ole girl can be lit off again after a few weeks being dormant. If all stays dry, then perhaps I'll set her down on the ground for the first time!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2019 at 5:10PM
joe, yes there's clearance by that dimple to run wires out through the body mount structure... i just cut a pan out for my buddy dave's car and had to plasma that area to salve a pan section for his car Wink i'll text you a pic in a bid...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2019 at 5:12AM

DEARBORN, THE TOMATO HAS LANDED!!

With the leaks resolved, it was time for her to come back down to Earth. For the first time since October 2013 she is setting on all four tires.

She's setting a bit too high in the front...

but I'll wait until I get everything rehung and adjusted before trying to lower her.... besides, I'm sure once I get that 500 pound front bumper assembly back on, she'll come down a bit!!

I am happy with how she's setting in the rear...

just about the ideal rear fender clearance. Again, I'm sure she'll come down a bit more once the rear bumper is rehung.

Next weekend, I'll hook her up to the 5 gallon fuel can and really get some heat into her to insure everything is fine under pressure and get the transmission fluid up to where it's supposed to be hot, idling in Park. Once I've got the fluids topped off, it will be time to see how she goes under her own power.... but on a short leash for now! LOL

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2019 at 5:49AM
Clap now this is some progress joe!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2019 at 5:27AM
TEST DRIVE!!!

Well, some good results this weekend! First up, I reconnected the battery, removed the carb cover and fired her up to get heat into the engine and to also check one last time for any leaks...

While she was running, I had to get a shot low and behind to see how things were going in the exhaust...

Once the engine got hot, the thermostat did open up and everything began circulating and she kept everything in, so I then checked the transmission fluid and oil to insure they were where they need to be, had 20+ psi oil pressure at idle and 40+ when rev'ed so I felt pretty confident she was ready to roll. Shut her off and let her sit for about 10 minutes to see if I might have a heat soak issue getting her to refire hot (I'd guess it was almost 100 degrees upstairs since it was 90+ outside and sunny).

The moment of truth arrived and I crossed my fingers...…

She lit right off without issue, dropped her into gear was able to hold her in place holding the brake and bringing up the rpm's, so I let my foot off the brake and she began moving under her own power after 8 or 9 years! Tried the brake again as she rolled backwards and they clamped down good. Once I was back as far as she could go, I put her in drive and again foot braked her against the engine and the brakes held until the rpm's got to the point the rear brakes started to get overdriven and the rear tires began to turn over, but the front brakes held her in place so I'm confident I'll be able to safely drive her down the ramp to load onto the rollback to take her for her ride to the bodyshop!

All in all a good day, but I did discover I had a power steering issue that I need to figure out (no assist) in the days ahead.

The fun never stops!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 14-July-2019 at 7:52AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2019 at 5:37AM
Getting there. Love the flames popping underneath. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2019 at 6:01AM
awesome joe! i saw your vids on FB Clap you got a body shop nailed down yet?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2019 at 6:05AM
oh and don't worry about the gut joe... unfortunately it happens to all of us with age Cry
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2019 at 7:53AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

oh and don't worry about the gut joe... unfortunately it happens to all of us with age Cry

Thanks CJ!! Beer

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2019 at 8:45AM
 i'm there with ya buddy Confused
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2019 at 2:51PM
Awesome news Joe. Must feel awesome to feel it move again! 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2019 at 7:24AM
Not a lot of Torino progress to report for the past two weekends. I've got a carb specialist stopping by to do a fine tune on the Holley, so I'm hesitant to pull off the power steering pump and alternator until he's paid a visit so I don't have to wrestle off the belts. I've turned my attention to my Fairlane wagon temporarily to get her roadworthy again.

I did however reposition the Torino so she's closer to the welder so I can tack the core support transmission cooler line relief pieces into place and cut out my package shelf template to confirm it was going to fit OK.

I also drug out my passenger side firewall pad template and traced it out for Ilyes for his factory AC unit install so he could get the firewall openings cut into the firewall accurately.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2019 at 7:56AM

Been a couple weeks since I posted an update. Progress on the Tomato has been put on hold until my carb guru shows up to tweak the Holley, so I have been addressing some issues on my '64 Fairlane 500 Ranch Wagon.

I have however accomplished a couple small tasks on the Torino. I trimmed out my package shelf template and test fit it in the car...

as well as comparing it to the original panel. Fit nicely in the car and matched the original piece pretty well. Will now get a piece of tempered hardboard and have the new panel cut out at work on our computerized router.

I also dropped off the FlowMasters at the powder coaters and had them silver ceramic coated...

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2019 at 3:21PM
nice! any word on the paint guy yet???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2019 at 6:56AM

My carb guru finally showed up last Thursday to adjust the Holley and set the timing. Everything was going really smoothly.... got the carb adjusted, had great vacuum throughout the rpm ranges and as we set the timing and watching the time advance thru the engine range, suddenly something on the driver side of the engine erupted and began spraying fluid out all over the place. I immediately shut the engine down and quickly realized it was transmission fluid by the color (blue B&M Trick Shift). Seems one of the transmission rubber hoses had popped off the transmission line.

I was concerned that the transmission fluid would wick into the bare sheet metal and make final finishing a real nightmare, so Saturday I reconnect the transmission line and confirm all other connections were tight, wiped off as much of the transmission as I could....

moved the Torino to the top of the ramp...

and then drove her downstairs (the first time on the street under her own power in about a decade!!) to the wash rack.

I applied a heavy application of Super Clean Degreaser and let it soak for about 10 minutes and then hit it again. After soaking for a good half hour, I thoroughly rinsed everything for about 15 minutes to insure I flushed all the remnants of the degreaser everything and then dried her off.

Once dried off, I fired her up and let her run for a bit to get a little heat in her and under the hood to finish drying up the remaining water. After about 10 minutes of idling, I dropped into the driver's seat and returned her to the work area upstairs.

Looks like my worries were unfounded as the metal shows no evidence of the B&M Trick Shift transmission fluid.

With the carb adjusted, I now need to set the time, tighten up the alternator belt and check the rebuild of the power steering pump (I found I had NO POWER ASSIST when I drove the Tomato downstairs and back) before turning her over to the body shop once they have their new facility completed.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2019 at 7:58AM
Clapstrange on the pump... it didn't even try? any whining or growling?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2019 at 8:09AM
Nope, not a peep. I'm wondering how I could check the pump on the car because the steering box (Lares quick ratio) is also new. Could be either I would assume.....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2019 at 9:34AM
When I had started up the 74 ranchero for the first time I did not have any power steering either. But when I checked the fluid I noticed nothing but air bubbles. (to the point of red foam) I let the thing sit for about an hour rechecked the fluid and topped it off slightly. then jacked up the front of the car until the tires where off the ground. Started the car back up and worked the steering back and forth from lock to lock (about 5-6 times) then let it sit overnight. The next day started it up and it has worked ever since with no trouble (now that would be 19 years)   
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2019 at 9:53AM
Thanks Dan, I'll give that a try.

What's funny is I had the tires off the ground, system filled and engine running and cycled thru the travel several times with the engine running in the past. This was the first drive with the tires on the ground and the car mobile and operating on the street.

So I should go thru the system again to make sure it's burped good and full of fluid? Is there a way to test the pump operation on the car to insure it's functioning as it should?

Edited by TV 2M8O - 15-September-2019 at 10:13AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 41>