The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Project TV 2M8O

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 42>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2014 at 12:39PM
GREAT work!
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2014 at 3:24PM
lookin' good joe, i'm surprised you were able to move under there after 2 hours (buried alive) "ricocheting sand stream" LOL (been there!) Confused
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2014 at 9:38AM
Another abbreviated playday but I did make more progress. Got the passenger side frame rail and frame recess cleaned and about 95% of the rear suspension crossmember...

Going to the local World of Wheels car show tonight!

Until next installment....

Edited by TV 2M8O - 15-March-2014 at 9:41AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2014 at 10:24AM
Well had another productive day... Got the rear suspension crossmember blasted and the passenger side rear wheelwell done. The wheelwell took a bit longer than I expected because of the factory undercoating, but I finally got it all blasted away.....

Next week, I'll knock out the driver side rear wheelwell and the rear end. The wheelwell shouldn't take much time because I blasted the donor wheelwell prior to dropping the Tomato off to the guys at F3, so just the remnants of the original wheelwell on each end should be all that needs to be blasted aside from the chassis rail.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 22-March-2014 at 10:26AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2014 at 10:52AM
looks good joe! Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2014 at 9:11AM
Blasted... part 11

Well FINALLY, I am done blasting under the car! I hit the crevice between the passenger rear wheel well and frame, then jumped over to the driver side wheel well and got all of it blasted good...

Don't ever let anyone tell you that it ain't a dirty job...............

sure glad I wiped off my face before my buddy Jim took my picture! LOL

Then I moved the rear end back into the booth and started cleaning it up...

hope to get that completely knocked out next weekend so I can break it down for rebuild and 3.89 gear set install.

I also found my old NOS Hirschmann power antenna that I'm going to look into incorporating into the build so I won't have the antenna in the way when it's not needed.

More to come.............

Edited by TV 2M8O - 30-March-2014 at 9:19AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2014 at 10:13AM
Looks good. I'm sending my car to you for the same treatment
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2014 at 11:32AM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

Looks good. I'm sending my car to you for the same treatment

LOL, you better have deep pockets filled with cash!! Thumbs Up

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2014 at 1:43PM
joe, i'll bet you have deep pockets filled with SAND LOL (after all that blasting)
 looks great!!!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2014 at 2:11PM
great job!!!

I hate sandblasting but it is the most effective way to get it to bare metal... that I have available to me anyway
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2014 at 3:20PM
Thanks guys!
Malcolm, I agree with ya... but if I did have deep pockets filled with CASH, I would have had this baby dipped! I can only imagine the fun I'll have getting the sand out of every nook and cranny... WOO HOO!!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Montego01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montego01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2014 at 10:56PM
Great job on the blasting!!! Looks like it is a great body to start with!!! Looking forward to seeing you progress with this
Scott
72 Montego GT 429 build thread
1966 Chevy C10
1973 Montego MX
2004 Bonneville GXP
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2014 at 12:00PM
Blasted... part 12

This weekend I got the rest of the rear end pretty much cleaned up.....

a few places I didn't get 100% but I'll get them once the brakes and backing plates are removed. Next weekend, I start in on the front of the frame and the suspension.

Stay tuned.....

Edited by TV 2M8O - 08-April-2014 at 12:05PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2014 at 2:30PM
looks great joe! i am curious as to why you wanted to drop the rear end as an assembly, and not just drop the rear then take the control arms after?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2014 at 10:54PM
John,

I wanted the rear end completely out of the way so I could sandblast the undercarriage and the simplest way seemed to pull it as one piece and then break it down once it was out in the open rather than stuffed up under the car.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2014 at 4:17PM
ok, well 6 of one / half a dozen, of another
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2014 at 9:55AM
A pretty productive day today...

I was able to adapt my Craftsman shop vac to use the new style filters and attempted to repair my halogen work light so I could see what the hell I'm doing at times but I had to bring it home to troubleshoot since my multi-meter is at the house.

Got the rear end up on jack stands to drain.....

and got half of the front frame sand blasted.......

Next installment I hope to finish the frame, break down the rear end and then start disassembly of the front suspension.

Until then....

Edited by TV 2M8O - 12-April-2014 at 10:03AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2014 at 8:16AM
Well I got the rear end pulled apart during a short play day over the Easter holiday weekend. Backing plates, axles, axle seals pulled and carrier popped loose and draining......

Parts list created and pricing underway.

Next up, breaking down the third member....

Stay tuned.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 18-April-2014 at 8:20AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2014 at 4:13AM
Finished blasting the front of the frame and suspension....

now to disassemble the suspension and clean and detail all the components in preparation for REASSEMBLY..... Oh how I long for that process to begin!!!

Also degreased and cleaned the carrier in preparation for tear down and rebuild...

Will be ordering 3.89 gear set, bearing set and trac-lok clutch set from Yukon Gear & Axle, the rear brake components and front strut rod bushings from NAPA and the sway bar and front suspension polyurethane bushings from Energy Suspensions next week.

Man I can't wait for SOMETHING to go BACK TOGETHER!

More to come....

Edited by TV 2M8O - 27-April-2014 at 4:19AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2014 at 11:38AM

Man I can't wait for SOMETHING to go BACK TOGETHER!

More to come....
[/QUOTE]

Confused i know exactly what you mean joe!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2014 at 3:26AM
Disassembled the carrier, knocked off the casting flash, smoothed and radiused the edges of the pinion support and housing and cleaned everything for rebuild... and the new Yukon Gear & Axle 3.89 ring and pinion, trac-lok clutch kit, bearing set, crush sleeve eliminator kit and fluid and friction enhancer all arrived on Friday so full steam ahead on the carrier overhaul!

We then started pulling the front suspension off the car. Got the sway bar and calipers off and then started on the strut rods. Loosened the nuts on the front of the bars and removed the nuts from the bottom of the control arms and hit a snag.... We couldn't get the bolts loose from the top side of the lower control arms securing the strut rods. So rather than tear something up, I decided to call it a day and seek the wisdom of the GTS Forum! Thankfully they came to my rescue so next weekend I hope to have the front suspension off the car and ready for final blasting.

Then the fun of cleaning the sand out of all the nooks and crannies of the frame and body... WOO HOO!

Until next installment...

Edited by TV 2M8O - 04-May-2014 at 3:28AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2014 at 12:50PM
Well my buddy Jim and I had started pulling the front suspension a couple weeks ago and then hit a snag trying to remove the front strut rods. So rather than tearing something up, we called it a day so I could seek the advice of the guys on the Gran Torino Sport forum. Good thing I did because I found out the bolts are splined/serrated to index into the lower control arms... that would have been a real mess if I had buggered the strut rods up!

Anyway, today I got both the front strut rods removed as well as the drivers side front suspension. That was another adventure... With no engine in the car, I had no weight up front to allow me to place a jack under the lower control arm and slowly lower the arm as the spring expanded, so I would have to compress the spring to release the pressure off the LCA. I tried using a coil spring compressor I got from Advance Auto Parts like you are supposed to, but I couldn't get a good grip on the springs AND get the threaded shaft to exit thru the top shock mount so I could compress the spring enough to release the pressure, so I went with plan B.

One of the guys on the GTS forum said had run into the same situation I was in and he compressed the spring into the spring frame pocket, disassembled the suspension then released the pressure off the spring, so I removed the threaded part of the compressor from the threaded shaft, dropped the shaft and the "free wheeling" hook assembly down thru the shock mount then fed the threaded hook assembly up thru the lower shock opening, started it onto the threaded shaft, hooked a couple coils and started compressing the spring. It worked pretty slick compressing the spring into the frame cavity. Once I had it compressed enough to take the majority of the pressure off the lower control arm, I removed the castle nuts from the ball joints and commenced disassembling the suspension.

As the LCA began to drop down, the coil spring began to cock forward. I stopped for a minute once the control arm was fully down to see what the spring was going to do but once it cocked forward it found it's resting spot so I continued to remove lower control arm. With the arm removed, I began to slowly release the pressure on the spring. As it got close to the end of the compressor threaded shaft, I stopped and checked to see how much pressure was still on the spring. While it was no where near what it was when I started releasing the pressure, there was still some force left in the spring and I didn't want to release it from the compressor unrestrained. I took the chain off my engine hoist and hooked one end around the last coil of the spring then wrapped the chain up over the frame and back around to the captive coil and hooked that end around the coil as well.I then found and old tire and a box full of smaller boxes that I had been keeping to store assembly ready parts in and place the tire and the box-o-boxes under the spring so once the threaded hook assembly unthreaded from the compressor shaft, the spring could shoot into the boxes and tire to absorb it's remaining energy. With everything in place, I climbed up onto the frame crossmembers (so I would be out of harms way) and finished releasing the spring. While there wasn't too much energy left in the spring, it did release with a bang! LOL

With the spring out of the way, I finished removing the upper control arm.....

Next week I'll remove the passenger side suspension then finish sandblasting the frame and then the fun begins cleaning all the sand from every nook and cranny of the frame and body and getting all that prepped and painted so reassembly can commence and get her back to the team at F3!
More to come.......

Edited by TV 2M8O - 17-May-2014 at 12:55PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2014 at 2:25PM
Joe, Not that I was wishing you any harm but when I was reading your post I kept thinking I was going to read the part where blood and guts were involved! LMAO.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2014 at 2:32PM
^^^^ i was thinking the same thing!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2014 at 4:05AM
Yeah guys, I think I'm gonna rethink doing it that way on the other side! LOL Thumbs Up

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2014 at 4:11AM
joe , look at the positive side, you're half way done!Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2014 at 12:30PM
Abbreviated play day today. Was out of town for the holiday weekend but took an extra day of vacation to get the front suspension removed. I was gonna go a different route removing the spring on the passenger side but I figured since it worked on the drivers side I'd just go ahead and do it the same way.

The spring compressor was dropped down thru the shock opening...

then the other spring grip was inserted from below, threaded onto the rod, positioned around the coils and the spring compressed to remove pressure from LCA...

then a safety chain was installed on the spring and the LCA dropped away...

then the spring was slowly released into a box of empty boxes to absorb the remaining pressure...

With the spring removed, the rest of the suspension components were removed. Here is the LAST REMOVABLE PIECE BEING LIFTED AWAY. All that remains intact is the body mounted to the frame.

Here are all the front suspension parts laid out awaiting blasting, disassembly, repair, detailing and reassembly.

Also the carrier was rebuilt and reassembled and new bearings installed on the axles...

All in all a pretty productive short day!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 31-May-2014 at 11:06AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2014 at 12:37PM
that was cool. never wouldve thought to do that, dropping the spring compressor through the shock hole. great job
---------------------
malcolm
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2014 at 12:43PM
With no engine in the car that was about the only way I could compress and hold the spring while disassembling the suspension. I'll have the engine installed before I reassemble the front suspension so I can install the spring in the normal fashion!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2014 at 12:54PM
my frame was standing alone when i broke mine down. i couldve made that work for me. i had my springs compressed as far as i could and had straps wrapped all the way around the suspension and it was scary.
---------------------
malcolm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 42>