The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

70/71 parts questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PortraitPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70/71 parts questions
    Posted: 12-May-2012 at 11:21AM
Being that the mass of my car knowledge relates to old Mustangs, and I'm new to Torinos I have a couple questions.  I think I already know the answers but I'm reaching out to you guys just to be sure.

I have my eye on a '71 500.  This is a plain car but it's all original, with exception for a 10 year old paint job and is a zero rust car and think it would make the perfect car for a restomod project I'm looking to start.

So here's the questions:

1. This car has the regular hood and I want to swap it out with a GT style hood (if I can find one).  My assumption is that the GT hoods are the same for 70/71 and should be a direct bolt-on.  Is this correct?

2. I want to do away with the standard side mirrors and swap them for a set of sport mirrors (again assuming I can find them).  My assumption as well as that these sport mirrors are the same for 70/71, correct?

3. Is the wheel backspacing the same as the '69/'70 Mustang?  I have a set of nice wheels that came off of a '69 Mustang, they are 17" by 8" with a 4.5" backspace.  I'm assuming they'll fit fine.

Sorry for the generic questions.  Just trying to make sure my assumptions are correct before buying parts.

ghosttrain2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghosttrain2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2012 at 10:58AM
1. This car has the regular hood and I want to swap it out with a GT style hood (if I can find one).  My assumption is that the GT hoods are the same for 70/71 and should be a direct bolt-on.  Is this correct?
 Yes, they are the same and will bolt on.

2. I want to do away with the standard side mirrors and swap them for a set of sport mirrors (again assuming I can find them).  My assumption as well as that these sport mirrors are the same for 70/71, correct?

Yes, and the ones from a 69-73 Mustang and Cougar should bolt on as well.

Not sure about the backspacing,you can see here if they will work.
http://www.wheel-fitment.com/steekmaat.php?merk=Ford
1977 LTD, 2 door
1972 N code Ranchero, Project
1972 Torino formal roof
1970 Torino 500, Project
1974 Cougar parts car
PortraitPro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PortraitPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2012 at 2:18PM
Thanks for the info.  Especially about the Mustang sport mirrors since they are reproduced and are a dime a dozen.  You just don't see any Torino "sport mirrors" out there and the ones that I have seen on eBay they are asking crazy prices for.

I may be going to Ford Nationals so I will keep my eye out for the GT hood and a set of sport mirrors.

The holy grail would be a hideaway headlight setup but I have found out in my little bit of research that they are not reproduced and if you can find them they are nearly $3,000.
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2012 at 8:31AM
The GT hoods had a rear grill at the back of the hood until April 1970. After that there was no vent. This was the only difference.
The sport mirrors from a 71 Torino will fit a 70 Torino, but 70 Torino mirrors will not fit a 71 Torino. In 71 the mirror was set back farther on the door requiring a longer cable. The 70 having a shorter cable will not reach on a 71 door. Not sure if other models will work do to the door angle. They all look the same but in reallity the angles are different. You would have to make sure before spending $$.

If you need mirrors for a 71, I have a nice pair. Also, I know where you can get hideaways too.
If interested in anything 70-71 PM me. 

Edited by 73GTS - 01-November-2012 at 8:35AM
Jim

Pex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2013 at 11:08PM
Hi guys, i've a question. I'm restoring my '70 GT conv and i've bought a pair of these gaskets

http://www.dearbornclassics.com/70-71-front-fender-rear-edge-dust-shield.html

But i don't know where placed'em, colud you help me?

Thank you!
'70 Ford Torino GT Conv
'71 Ford Mustang Mach1
'66 Cadillac Coupè DeVille
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2013 at 1:31PM
They actually bolt to the body behind the front wheel.
Jim

Pex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2013 at 9:02AM
Thank you. Don't you have a picture? i can't understand where is placed!!Cry

Edited by Pex - 11-June-2013 at 9:02AM
'70 Ford Torino GT Conv
'71 Ford Mustang Mach1
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2013 at 12:43PM
No pic right now, but with the fender off you will see just behind the wheel toward the door where they bolt to. they close off the area between the body and fender.
Jim

Pex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2013 at 10:06AM
Hi guys,
here i'm again. I've almost finished to restore my '70 Gt Conv. Watching at the Marti Report, there are 3 things to ask:
What is
1)Export special handling package? I've read on the web it consist on heavy duty suspension, something else?
2)Export decal (is the same as laser stripes?)
3)Accessory packaging? (What they means?)

My car is an export, DSO 90
'70 Ford Torino GT Conv
'71 Ford Mustang Mach1
Mr.Silverback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2017 at 11:55AM
73GTS- do you know if hood hinges off of a 72 torino will fit on a 71 torino?
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2017 at 6:16AM
No they won't
Jim

Post Reply Post Reply