Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steering Column - General

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering Column - General
    Posted: 23-August-2006 at 4:34AM
OK, I am setting up a separate topic about steering columns.

I just received the 74 tilt steering column I ordered. It looks like a piece of junk. Some problems:

1.  The steering column part of the coupling ring was not on it at the engine compartment end.

2.  There was a cut wire for a light ground.

3.  The steering wheel was bent.

4.  The nuetral safety switch was broken (plastic part is off).

Which causes me to ask a few questions:

1.  Can new nuetral safety switches be ordered?

2.  Can new ignition switches (the electrical part down the column that the rod attaches to) be ordered?

3.  Is it a big deal that the coupling ring is not on at the steering gear end? Is it just a screw on type of fitting?
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2006 at 5:45AM
Ok
1. Yes. Standard has them. What year is your column/car? I have some kicking around.
2. Read #1 verbatim.
3. The metal ring that attaches to the, well, "T" at the end of the column? The column I bought didn't have any attachments.. I just swapped over my whole end.

Man.. you should have kept the column I accidently mailed you ;-)
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2006 at 5:56AM
After some research, I found ignition switches from Ford (Green Sales NOS) and PartsAmerica. Here are the Parts America stuff:

And, as I searched the Parts Catalog, I found that the broken switch is the backup light switch, not the nuetral safety switch as I had earlier thought. For a 1976 column, it is still available:

Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2006 at 6:02AM
Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

Ok
1. Yes. Standard has them. What year is your column/car? I have some kicking around.
2. Read #1 verbatim.
3. The metal ring that attaches to the, well, "T" at the end of the column? The column I bought didn't have any attachments.. I just swapped over my whole end.

Man.. you should have kept the column I accidently mailed you ;-)

Yes, I should have kept that column!

It looks like, from the Master Parts catalog page, that the end of the column I refer to is actually a short shaft piece with a U-joint in it. Attachment to the column end (kind of a wedge shape) and with the coupling ring at the other end. So, I guess, in essence it is a 3-piece setup: column, intermiediate shaft/coupling ring/u-joint and finally the gear with the input shaft adapter ring to attach to coupling ring. Which means I ordered only the column part and not the intermediate section.

73 intermedate shaft IS the same as 74-76, so I can re-use.

Paul, was that column from your 76 Elite?
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2006 at 6:32AM
That column was from my 78 Cougar. Some guy won it on ebay at the same time you won the control arms from me... I mixed up labels. Confused

I sold it because I use a column from a Mark V (the PRND21 indicator is not on the collar, making it much easier to 'smooth' for a floor shifter).

Also.. why not reuse your old switches?

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2006 at 6:49AM
The intermediate shaft section I will reuse, however I was going to replace the ignition electrical switch as a matter of good form (I know both of my Torinos have old, questionable ones), but the backup light switch was not even on my radar scope until I received the junky used column and saw the broken apart switch. While I understand that thing was probably dragged through a manure field before it got to me, I can't help but think any column that is that old will have the same switch in a less than ideal condition.

Like you said previously, if I don't do it now, I will never do it. So, with the column out, I will replace what I can and hope for 20 years of service from it...
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
 Post Reply Post Reply