The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

C8VE 429 acquired, need info

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavierV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: C8VE 429 acquired, need info
    Posted: 02-June-2012 at 7:07AM
So i just acquired a 429/c6 combo for a steal at $150 (has original heads C8VE)! Picking up tomorrow but looks to be for the most part complete (not running of course) but looks good. Seeing how im not much of gearhead ill be doing some research on a good setup/parts for street use, maybe occasional drag. Just wanted input of setups you all may have and any problems you may have encountered while making the transfer to your vehicles. I currently have a 72 GTS fastback with a 351c/fmx. I know for sure im going to have to acquire the motor mounts (back to the junkyard next week). I will be taking my time on the rebuild of this motor since I just plan on getting my car on the road and then doing the switch later down the road so I have time. Any suggestions related to engine porting/machining is appreciated too. Thanks!
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2012 at 9:16AM
Good score, early model 75 cc heads, low deck height block, relatively no emissions junk on these early BBF's. The 429/460 engines are pretty stout in stock form, I have never personally seen a broke crank or cracked heads on a 429/460 but I have seen freeze damage(rear cylinders, 4 & 8 water jackets were split on the engine side that faces the trans). Check to see if it will spin over by hand and maybe take a few of the plugs out, they will tell the story about the engine's condition and maybe even a valve cover.  Send pics if possible. Good luck, Todd 
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
JavierV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavierV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2012 at 5:53AM
Ill be posting up pics soon. Just want to get a good amount of the grease and crap off of it. Any of you ever seen the 3 triangular spline output shafts? This was a first for me. Youll see what im talking about when i get the pics up
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2012 at 1:32PM
Just don't do what I did. I have a DOVE A 429 that has cost me an arm and a leg to get running right. I thought most of my choices were correct on the cam but the dyno guys tell me that wouldn't have been their first choice; it's a Comp Thumpr cam with 507 lift. Gearing is important. Make the right choice on your tranny rebuild or even if you're going to stick with your C6. After close to 9K spent on this car, it's still not making the power I thought it would, but I have to remind myself how heavy it is.
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
JavierV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavierV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2012 at 5:31PM
I know its been a while. Here's the pics. I was a little concerned as to wether i had really purchased a 429/460 with all the differences in the C6 but i researched and found out that early c6's had 3 spline shafts as well as sometimes had the MEL 462 bellhousing pattern. Removed one valve cover and looked pretty good. Here's some pics.....dont mind my pink bike in the background :)

Also have a question.....somebody on another forum suggested i switch to the 1970 and up water pump/pulley setup. When looking for water pumps on summit all i could find is 1970 and up. Will these fit a '68 block? Just dont know wether 460 parts are interchangeable.
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2012 at 6:12PM
That is one weird setup. Never seen anything like it. Should be a block casting number on the starter side either above the starter or in front of the motor mount . The year 68 is early for a 429  but this is not a 428 from your pictures.  428 was the big 68 motor but the spark plugs are angled not straight.
460 stuff fits a 429 but on the early stuff you really need to check out the taps and holes. Not all are drilled out and tapped.
Cool find though!

aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2012 at 12:29AM
Looks to be a 429/C6 from a '68 or so T-bird due to the bell housing shape, still have a lot of good parts. I haven't seen a crankshaft mounted power steering pump in quite a while. The timing cover is particular to this set-up, the crankshaft hole is quite a bit larger in diameter than the later model, '70 and up, timing covers. The harmonic balancer for this 429 will have 2 sheaves for the belts built into it. A later model timing cover, balancer w/ spacer set-up should bolt up fine, no problems. Acc. bolt holes in the block are another ?, they may or may not have been tapped by the factory, but the bolt "bosses" should be there to go by if they need to be tapped out.  A later model water pump has a different length(longer) which will probably force you to install the later front components for pulley alignment unless you can find a remanned early water pump. A crank mounted PS pump would be alot more compact, but unless you have all the brackets, harmonic balancer/2 sheave pulley AND the pump doesn't leak. The later model stuff is the way to go. I don't remember seeing the output shaft spline design like the one you have pictured, but the last early 429/C6 I bought was 20 years ago. Take the C6's tailshaft off and check out the tailshaft a little closer, it could be something just installed on the shaft and doesn't belong to the C6 itself. Good luck with your build. Todd

JavierV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavierV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2012 at 6:54AM
Here's some info i found on that 3 spline shaft just for your knowledge
http://www.ford-mel-engine.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=491

As for what you input/suggested.....what im getting out of this is that a '70 and up timing cover will fit the block and as long as i do this switch then i should be able to get all the other parts (water pump, pulleys, etc) for '70 and up motor. Is that correct?
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2012 at 7:00AM
Yes, they will fit correctly. Just make sure you get a new harmonic balancer, new crank spacer (Internall balanced) and the proper pulley's. 

carguy47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carguy47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2012 at 2:24AM
Shocked  That is the craziest looking transmission I have seen in a long time!
You have to build em to drive em!
gregaba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregaba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2012 at 7:29AM
I believe that tailshaft went to a overdrive makeing the tranny into a six speed.
Greg
Greg
FoMoCo1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FoMoCo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2013 at 12:24PM
I know this thread is older but I agree, this is a '68 429 ThunderJet & C6. He could always drop the pan and look at the crank throw stamp... Good find & price regardless.
Ford Motor Company Established In 1903
FoMoCo1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FoMoCo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2013 at 12:33PM
Those factory 429 exhaust manifolds & intake will flow great, my '69 Thunderjet does... Those are 75cc closed chamber heads.
Ford Motor Company Established In 1903
 Post Reply Post Reply