The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bought a Lemon, need advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2012 at 8:57AM
Murphys law too. The other day my temp gauge climbed to 3/4ths for the first time ever. Off to Napa for a thermostat.... 
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2012 at 9:01AM
Originally posted by legend onirot legend onirot wrote:

yeah.  195 is the temperature that the thermostat would open.  a 180 thermostat would open sooner allowing the coolant to flow sooner letting the engine remain cooler.  you really dont "need" a thermostat.... but it is helpful in warming the engine up faster. 

Maybe down south..... I've had a 160 in my F100 with a 460, and there was no heat. LOL
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
msgdman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msgdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2012 at 9:16AM
Here is a picture of the fan blades. Is the guy right and they are canted wrong? If so how easy of a fix would it be?

1975 Ford Torino
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2012 at 9:34AM
It looks ok to me. Easy test, put a piece of paper against the front of the radiator with the car running. it should be sucked into the radiator and held in place........ not blown away. 
Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2012 at 10:15AM
Looked at mine and I vote it IS backwards. Fan comes off with 4 bolts and can be put on the other way ( Flip it around front to back). Probably have to take the plastic fan shroud off to do it. Also need to loosen the belt  as the fan bolts hold the water pump and fan pully in place.
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2012 at 10:17AM
In your picture the engine is rotating counter clockwise so you can see it is pushing air forward
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2012 at 10:46AM
I'm with Psquare75... it looks correctly mounted! Do the paper test as he describes BEFORE doing anything else with the fan!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2012 at 11:19AM

Tried to get the photo from the same angle above the ac compressor
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2012 at 11:24AM
From the front of the motor it is clockwise rotation but since we are looking at a rotating assembly from the rear side the rotation is now Counter ClockWise.
Mark S. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2012 at 1:15PM
Looks like the fan is designed to rotate the "wrong" way for our engines. Don't late model 5.0 Stangs have reverse direction water pumps? Determine which way the w.p. is rotating before doing anything. DEFINITELY DO the paper test.
Mark
1977 Ltd II "Eltee"
1984 Mustang ragtop
2004 Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition
71 Torino GT 429CJ (sold too many years ago to count...)
Mark S. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2012 at 1:17PM
Also, that fan can't be flipped front for back as 1) the flex blades will be going in the wrong direction to flex, 2) the blades will extend "forward" of the water pump and might hit the radiator.
Mark
1977 Ltd II "Eltee"
1984 Mustang ragtop
msgdman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msgdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2012 at 1:49PM
Just did paper test, put a sheet of paper on the front of the radiator and it blew forward towards the front bumper of the car, it did not suck back towards the radiator.

Does this then confirm that the fan is not working properly? Should I have clearly seen the paper drawn up to the radiator?

Thanks
1975 Ford Torino
Mark S. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2012 at 3:06PM
Well, you've pretty much solved your over-heating problem. The paper should be sucked against the radiator by the "pull" of the fan from behind said radiator.
I think you have a fan designed for a reverse rotation water pump. You just need to get the correct fan like the one Robbdtme posted a few messages back. Any junkyard would have one, mid 70's 70s Fords. Just watch out for cracks around the rivets of the blades as they were known for that. And I'm sure you can get a new one at your local auto parts store or online pretty easily.
I would still confirm rotation direction of the water pump, but I'm pretty sure thats what going on here. Compare your fan with his. Your blades are on the wrong side.
Mark
1977 Ltd II "Eltee"
1984 Mustang ragtop
msgdman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msgdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2012 at 3:43PM
Originally posted by Mark S. Mark S. wrote:

Well, you've pretty much solved your over-heating problem. The paper should be sucked against the radiator by the "pull" of the fan from behind said radiator.
I think you have a fan designed for a reverse rotation water pump. You just need to get the correct fan like the one Robbdtme posted a few messages back. Any junkyard would have one, mid 70's 70s Fords. Just watch out for cracks around the rivets of the blades as they were known for that. And I'm sure you can get a new one at your local auto parts store or online pretty easily.
I would still confirm rotation direction of the water pump, but I'm pretty sure thats what going on here. Compare your fan with his. Your blades are on the wrong side.

If I was to go to an auto parts store, what exactly would I ask for, a radiator fan for a 351W? Would I need to mention 75 Ford Torino? Also, if I found one, is this a job I can do myself, or is it going to require taking it to a garage?

Thanks
1975 Ford Torino
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2012 at 3:54PM
The job is very simple.
You have 4 bolts (should be 1/2" or 9/16") to unscrew, those bolts are on the fan facing the water pump, you can't miss those. It should take you 5 minutes max Wink

here's a link to autozone, you can copy the part number and show it to the guy over the counter: 
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2012 at 4:04PM
Originally posted by Mark S. Mark S. wrote:

Also, that fan can't be flipped front for back as 1) the flex blades will be going in the wrong direction to flex, 2) the blades will extend "forward" of the water pump and might hit the radiator.

I looked closer and Agree mark.  Current fan on this is not a option to flip and re use.

msgdman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msgdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2012 at 4:11PM
Originally posted by ilyes ilyes wrote:

The job is very simple.
You have 4 bolts (should be 1/2" or 9/16") to unscrew, those bolts are on the fan facing the water pump, you can't miss those. It should take you 5 minutes max Wink

here's a link to autozone, you can copy the part number and show it to the guy over the counter: 

THANKS!!!!!
1975 Ford Torino
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2012 at 4:15PM
you're welcome Smile
Mark S. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2012 at 4:33PM
Yes, you can do this as ilyes says. Two tips: undo the fan shroud (remove the two hex head screws at top, and pull up gently to pull the shroud out of the clips at the bottom). Then push the shroud back towards the engine and the 4 fan bolts should be easily accessed.  2) Be careful; the edges of the blades on those type flex fans are very sharp.
Mark
1977 Ltd II "Eltee"
1984 Mustang ragtop
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2012 at 1:23AM
If you are in the market for a fan anyway, I would get a new clutch and fan designed for a fan clutch.... those flex blade fans are 70s tech.. You'll have more power AND better gas mileage with a clutch fan. 
Paul
msgdman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msgdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2012 at 1:41AM
Wow, it came out as easily as you said! I was imagining like every other project I take on it was going to be something I could only half do and then need to tow it to a garage. I am off to the parts store to get the replacement, then 4 bolts later hopefully I am sucking the piece of paper into the radiator. Update to follow in a couple hours.

1975 Ford Torino
msgdman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msgdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2012 at 3:57AM
VICTORY!!

My Auto zone had the part number recommended in stock, I put it in by myself, buttoned everything back up, started the car, did the paper test......and the paper stuck like a magnet to the front of the radiator.

Thanks everyone that helped out. Not sure if this will solve all my overheating problems, but it has to help.
1975 Ford Torino
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2012 at 5:41AM
If you cooked the gaskets, you will have to replace them.
Take the car fir a spin, it should stay in the normal zone, unless gaskets are very bad.
If car feels sluggish compared to usual, or if you loose coolant, you will have to pull Tue heads toi check them and replace gaskets
msgdman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msgdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2012 at 5:50AM
Originally posted by ilyes ilyes wrote:

If you cooked the gaskets, you will have to replace them.
Take the car fir a spin, it should stay in the normal zone, unless gaskets are very bad.
If car feels sluggish compared to usual, or if you loose coolant, you will have to pull Tue heads toi check them and replace gaskets

Took it for a short drive, stayed cool, no leakage. I will add a few miles later on and then slowly increase distance of drive to see how we are doing. So far so good.
1975 Ford Torino
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2012 at 6:40AM
congrats.  nothing more satisfying than doing a job and completing it on your own.   hope that solves your problem...
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
Mark S. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2012 at 7:01AM
Congrats! Sounds like (hopefully) problem solved! Good job!
Mark
1977 Ltd II "Eltee"
1984 Mustang ragtop
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2012 at 8:04AM
Awesomesauce, I'm glad this worked out and I expect it to run fine now.

Amazing the kind of problems you run into when so many people have replaced parts on a vehicle over the years, some knowing what they're doing (because that's a gorgeous engine) and some not (backwards fan, lmao).
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
msgdman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msgdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2012 at 12:29PM
Well I did the exact same drive that resulted in the video clip on post #1 of this thread, and the car did not overheat at all. I am confident now that this was the problem. Changed the thermostat to a 180, replaced the radiator cap, and put the proper fan blade on. Three easy fixes that I would not have known about without the help of this forum. Thanks again for all the help.

The WRONG Way!!!

The RIGHT Way!!!!

1975 Ford Torino
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2012 at 5:27AM
That car just looks awesome under the hood, someone spent a LOT of time making it JUST RIGHT and they still missed something, my wife and I got a good laugh about it, she knew right when I said, "but the air was coming OUT of the grille" that someone put a reverse rotation fan on it. And ten years ago she would't have had a clue, I guess I'm rubbing off on her!

Now you just need the gasket thingy...

it goes between the radiator and core support to cover that gap and you'll be done with the radiator for awhile! Oh, and the CAUTION FAN sticker, those are like four bucks at any of the restoration parts houses.
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12