The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blower Motor resistor location

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabatona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blower Motor resistor location
    Posted: 10-June-2012 at 11:20AM
Hi all.
The blower motor is not working on my 73 GTS.
The plug that connects to the blower motor switch is melted like it got hot, and the wires on the motor have ben cut and twist tied together like the motor may have been replaced.
There was actually a second blower motor switch under the dash plugged into the melted connector when I bought the car. Obviously there was a problem with the blower assembly and a previous owner seemed to be working on it.
The blower motor does not work via the switch.
I  did find in the wiring diagram that there is a resistor in line between the switch and the motor, but I have yet to be able to find it under the dash.,,,
Does anyone have an idea where it is under the dash?
I think my wiring is good, but I want to pull the motor and test it, along with the switch.
Im thinking that if the plug is melted from getting hot, its likely the resistor is bad as well.
Any help will be much appreciated. The chiltons manual does not show the location of the resistor either.

Zebra 3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2012 at 12:23PM
  The resistor assembly..as I recall...is just opposite of the blower motor on the plenum...look for the flat 4 prong end (trace wire between resistor and fan speed control on dash or visa versa)

OR the blower motor is a 2 wire unit ...a ground wire and a positive wire...trace the positive wire back to the resistor.

Edited by Zebra 3 - 10-June-2012 at 12:26PM
"I deeply admire the men who founded this country, and I think we ought to know more about them and how they lived and the force and courage they had.
Henry Ford. 1926
Brian Conn
'76 Torino
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2012 at 1:02PM
Near the fan and is cooled by the fans airflow . Location with AC is under the hood right by the passenger side hood hinge in the AC Plenum easy to take out. Without AC I do not remember for sure but thinking behind the glove box. Has a 4 pin connector.

Edited by Robbdtme - 10-June-2012 at 1:06PM
NwOh_Starsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NwOh_Starsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2012 at 2:36PM
I have a NOS blower motor resistor on the shelf here if you need it.  We could work out a fair price and I'll gladly send it to someone in need.
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2012 at 3:47PM
blower motor resistor on a/c car is located on the heater box, inside the car.  easily accessable without removing anything to get to it.  not available new, i save every good one i can find in the junkyards.
Mike
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2012 at 10:20PM
I wish we could upload pictures directly. I build  host and do websites myself and understand it is a data transfer issue. I will snap a picture of the AC model Location
sabatona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabatona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2012 at 2:05PM
Hi guys.
I found the resistor, it was higher and more centered than where I was looking last night.
Resistor seems to be fine, no blown windings, connector does not look melted from heat like the blower switch plug is.
I think I figured out why the blower switch plug is melted.
When I pulled the blower motor, the wires had been cut and speed nutted back together, only they were reverse polarity! Im guessing that with the motor/fan turning backwards, the motor overheated, causing the plug to melt before it blew the fuse.
I ordered a new fan motor, and I have a good blower switch.
If anyone has a good  blower switch plug from an old wire harness I would be interested in purchasing it. I think the one I have will work, just do not like the fact that it is melted.
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2012 at 1:22PM
Originally posted by Robbdtme Robbdtme wrote:

I wish we could upload pictures directly. I build  host and do websites myself and understand it is a data transfer issue. I will snap a picture of the AC model Location

the 77/up are in a different location as the heater boxes changed.
Mike
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2012 at 1:27PM
Mike
sabatona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabatona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2012 at 2:21PM
Thanks all. Yup, thats were I found it!
Did a test on the wire harness from the melted switch to the resistor, and all the wires are good so I think as soon as I get the replacement blower motor, and swap the melted connector out for the switch, hopefully it will work.......thanks for the photos.
 Post Reply Post Reply