The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best way to strip a bumper?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best way to strip a bumper?
    Posted: 14-June-2012 at 11:38AM
I've been using ultra coarse sanding disk on flexible rubber pad on a  drill but it's taking forever. Any better way to strip a bumper down to bare metal?
Mark
1977 Ltd II "Eltee"
1984 Mustang ragtop
2004 Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition
71 Torino GT 429CJ (sold too many years ago to count...)
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2012 at 1:09PM
Sandblaster.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2012 at 1:25PM
nope sandblaster just ruffs it up
the only way is to take it to a chrome shop as they have a deep tank for removing the chrome it's DC charged and reverse of the chrome plating
nothing will strip a chrome bumper but to dip it
you can grind it bit it takes forever and you will go through a ton of grinding disc's as it dull the stones quick cause chrome is really hard
Mark S. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2012 at 1:38PM
Yep. I'm going thru sanding disks like crazy! I just want to get the bumper in decent enough shape to paint it, hang it and register the car. Then I can look for a decent rechromed one  at my leisure while working on getting the car squared away and dependable.
Mark
1977 Ltd II "Eltee"
1984 Mustang ragtop
2004 Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition
71 Torino GT 429CJ (sold too many years ago to count...)
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2012 at 2:04PM
I don't claim to be a professional bodyman but I sandblasted, epoxy primed and painted both CHROME bumpers on a 1963 Comet I fixed up about 15 years ago. Painted them body color because I didn't want to spend the money on chroming. They turned out great. I saw the car again a month ago and the paint's still on there. You don't have to competely remove the chrome for epoxy primer to stick. And you won't have deep scratches and gouges like you'll have from using a grinder. 
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2012 at 2:40PM
yes that is what we use to do is blast them then fill any bad spots then prime with Epoxy and paint them
like Stan said it's not necessary to strip the chrome off to prep them for paint
 Post Reply Post Reply