The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aftermarket Radiator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2012 at 2:13PM
Originally posted by papadeath papadeath wrote:

Aquart; I actually found a 1 gauge wire for the starter to solenoid. I also found some thermo wrap at poop-boys for yikes, 34 bucks, and wrapped the starter, but between the wire and the wrap=no more problems. I turned it off when it was the hottest and it cranked right back up. This solenoid is mounted on the firewall.

Thanks Psquare, all done with that. I started a thread somewhere asking about where the backlight is for the dashboard... I replaced all the dummy lights but the backlight still isn't working. I'm sure it's the same circuit? Can you tell me where it's located before I tear it all out again?

1 gauge ought to be fine for the solenoid to starter cable, I do agree with Paul (Psquare75) on using 0 gauge cable where needed, it is just a pain to work with sometimes due to the physical size and having to deal with the cable ends. The circuit for my dash lights also feeds my horn, the power for the circuit comes from the light switch of course. This is for a '79, your '75 should be set up the same way. If you can remove the light switch easily(easier than removing the dash cluster) you will need to look for a yellow wire with light blue dots, it should be on one of the four corners of the plug to the light switch. This wire supplies voltage to the printed circuit for illumination and supplies voltage for the vehicle's horn. I do not have a printed circuit for a '75 to track down the actual circuit for illumination. I hope this helps. Todd 
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2012 at 2:16PM
So you think it may be the switch? The horn works, and so do the dummy lights, blinkers, etc, just no back light on the speedo and other gauges.
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2012 at 3:13PM
If the horn works, then there is power going up to the steering column, the light switch sounds like it is OK. You may in deed have to pull the cluster to check for continuity between the printed circuit's illumination tracer and the yellow/light blue dot wire at the light switch. The problem could be just a bad connection between the printed circuit and it's plug.

Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2012 at 7:50PM
aren't the dash lights fed by Light Blue / Red stripe wires?

i'd try a jumper off the fuse block Battery terminal or straight from the battery itself. whatever it takes, just feed the Light Blue/Red stripe wire at the headlight switch plug with 12v and see if the dash lights work

not the same circuit as the dummy lights at all, the dash lights are on the rheostat circuit off the headlight switch. i have a brand X car, shorting a live dash light wire to ground blew out the rheostat in the headlight switch w/o blowing a fuse $50 thankyouverymuch

Edited by Rockatansky - 09-August-2012 at 7:53PM
72 GT Ute

aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2012 at 2:13AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

aren't the dash lights fed by Light Blue / Red stripe wires?

i'd try a jumper off the fuse block Battery terminal or straight from the battery itself. whatever it takes, just feed the Light Blue/Red stripe wire at the headlight switch plug with 12v and see if the dash lights work

not the same circuit as the dummy lights at all, the dash lights are on the rheostat circuit off the headlight switch. i have a brand X car, shorting a live dash light wire to ground blew out the rheostat in the headlight switch w/o blowing a fuse $50 thankyouverymuch

Rock,
  You are absolutely correct on the light blue/red stripe wire supplying the voltage to the dash illumination that can be dimmed. I mis-quoted the wire colors, sorry for that. I had a horn wire(yellow/light blue dot)that grounded out inside the steering wheel/column and that caused the dash lights not to illuminate at all. I tore apart the dash to find the problem only to find the horn button as being the culprit. This is the reason I asked if the horn worked or not, no excuses, I should have read my wiring schematic more thoroughly before giving advice. The dash illumination is fed voltage through the light switch by a 4 amp fuse just under the T/S flasher on the left hand side of the fuse panel, it is a small fuse.

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2012 at 2:56AM
If you are leary of working with such large cable, hit up CustomBatteryCables.com. They seem to have good reviews and good work.

I haven't used them, but would.

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2012 at 7:02AM
Ha, this one gauge is pretty bad-a**. It was indeed very thick. So the backlight should be one of the dummy lights? Orrrr, I found this little bayonet type silver thing at the bottom of the dash just under the panel. What it that... Is it the backlight? Crap, I'm going down there (to the garage) right now and figure this out. Stay tuned.
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12