The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Car wont start without jump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Car wont start without jump
    Posted: 25-June-2012 at 3:01PM
Is it possible that you have a parasitic draw with your electrical system,causing the weak battery?
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
JavierV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavierV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2012 at 8:17AM
Thanks guys. The battery was indeed weak. But just to be sure i had the alternator and starter tested, both were good. This was the third time having to get the battery charged so i told auto zone i wanted a replacement since i was still under warranty. Also picked up a new voltage regulator to replace the old one.
NMA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NMA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2012 at 5:58PM
I can tell you 99.9% for sure it's your battery. It has enough juice/volts to power idiot lights but not enough amps to turn the starter over. Check your amps with a DMM, also make sure you didn't over tighten the battery cables, I've seen people twist off battery posts inside the battery before.
'55 Buick Special
'74 Mercury Montego MX
Brougham
'77 Ford F150
Mark S. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2012 at 4:14PM
I'm betting you have a bad battery, i.e. defective or some such if it's recent. Try swapping out for a different battery and running it for a while. I've had "new" batteries go bad. If it's only a hot start condition, then you might want to look at the starter.
Mark
1977 Ltd II "Eltee"
1984 Mustang ragtop
2004 Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition
71 Torino GT 429CJ (sold too many years ago to count...)
JavierV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavierV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2012 at 4:02PM
1972 GTS fastback. When attempting to start vehicle i get a buzzing sound along with "OIL", "ALT" and "BRAKES" lights on but car will not turn over. I did not think it'd be a battery problem seeing as how the lights do not die or flicker. Once i connect with battery cables to my other vehicle i have to let it sit for a minute or two then jump it and it will start and stay on. I drove it for a few minutes and left it running a while longer then turned off and attempted to start again only to run into same problem. Battery, alternator, starter, solenoid, and battery cables are all fairly new (bought within last 6 months/1 yr). Any ideas as to what it may be or have you ran into similar problems?
 Post Reply Post Reply