The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DASH LIGHTS OUT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPLUHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DASH LIGHTS OUT
    Posted: 08-September-2006 at 7:17AM

I have the performance dash panel w/ tach.  Lights went out around tach, speedo, guages, but the lower lights around switches are still functioning.  It's not a bad fuse.  I pulled the panel and looked at the bulbs, but they're fine.  So i test lighted the big plug that pluges into the back of the panels printed circuit.  Left side is fine (blinkers, break warning light, highbeam light) but there's nothing from the right side (which seems to be where all of the lights are connected to.  Is there a separate plug for this on the head light (dimmer) switch, or does this tie into the lower switch light wiring?  Advice would be greatly appreaciated (again). Thankyou.

1976 ELITE, 71 429 w/cam, quadrajet, 4 wheel Mark V disc brakes, 3.25 trac lok, gutted & 12.9'd Mustang steering box
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2006 at 5:56PM
All the lights for instrument cluster illumination are wired through the connector at the back of the instrument cluster (the 20 pin or whatever). The only ones that are not are the seat belt warning and the other one on the extreme right.

With that said, the lighting wiring for general illumination is generally light blue with I think a red/orange/something stripe. The 73 wire diagrams are available on the main part of the Ford Torino Page, so reference those.

You are right in that if the wiper switch and headlight switches get illumination then it is not a fuse, however it might be that connector, etc. Get a voltmeter and start tracing back the voltage, referencing the Wire Diagram Manual.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
 Post Reply Post Reply