The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Saginaw Steering box &  Torino Steering Coupler/
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Saginaw Steering box & Torino Steering Coupler/

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saginaw Steering box & Torino Steering Coupler/
    Posted: 29-June-2012 at 6:33AM
I pulled my original Ford steering box out of the car recently to upgrade it to a fast ratio Saginaw box. The box is a Ford unit that I had custom built by Cancraft in BC (highly recommended, especially for Canadians). It came with a steering coupler but it doesn't look like it will work. Reading the service manual it looks like the Torino had the coupler riveted to the lower steering shaft/u-joint shaft.

Ford says you have to replace the entire unit. I'd like to replace the coupler as it is 4o year old rubber. Is there a way to rebuild the coupler using the rubber from the new one? How do I remove this shaft to service the rag joint?

Also, the P/S hook ups on the Saginaw box look like they are in line with the old Ford box. Do they use the same threads as the Ford box or will I have to get new lines?

My new Steering box

The included new steering coupler

The back view

This is a picture I found of a Torino coupler/shaft (not mine)

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2012 at 6:45AM
 Low Pressure hose is the same, high pressure is not.

As for the coupler, I bought a new one from Lares via Rockauto. Looks a little different than that. I have to mod mine as well to be able to bolt  up the last resort retainer (the funky bracket.. it's there in case the rubber totally snaps so you still have SOME steering).

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2012 at 8:10AM
Right now? I haven't done anything. I bought a Lares corp coupler from Rock Auto. bolted right to the box. Bolts to the column.... except that dead man's bracket, for lack of a better name for it. I just did this last week because I sold my SPA-T box to Andy. I was just going to disassemble the new coupling to fit the bracket to it, but I was more concerned with keeping the car movable around the garage and yard than a final install.

FWIW, I forget what coupler was on that box when i bought it. It might even be the one that came with the box.. I used one of those cheesy "HELP!" rubber biscuits from Dorman, and it worked fine. 

Looking at the pics, you should be able to make one out of two.

Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2012 at 9:33AM
What about just rebuilding your old unit? What do you think is cheaper? I looked under my front end and saw that I'll be replacing all the old joints connected with the steering assembly. What pump and rebuild kit do you recommend to do the entire steering (power).?
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2012 at 6:13PM
Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

Right now? I haven't done anything. I bought a Lares corp coupler from Rock Auto. bolted right to the box. Bolts to the column.... except that dead man's bracket, for lack of a better name for it. I just did this last week because I sold my SPA-T box to Andy. I was just going to disassemble the new coupling to fit the bracket to it, but I was more concerned with keeping the car movable around the garage and yard than a final install.

FWIW, I forget what coupler was on that box when i bought it. It might even be the one that came with the box.. I used one of those cheesy "HELP!" rubber biscuits from Dorman, and it worked fine. 

Looking at the pics, you should be able to make one out of two.

"Dead Man Bracket" is probably the best term I've heard for it.

When I did a rebuild on my front suspension several years back I got a replacement for that coupler. It did not fit - it was from NAPA or something and was not the right one. I ended up getting one of those polyurethane ones (from a 68-73 Cougar parts place) that is basically a poly disc and some bolts. Thinking that was the answer, I handed it over to the shop doing the front end work for me, and they installed it.

It broke within 2 years. Very disappointing.

There may have been a better way to literally "rebuild" the coupling joint, aka Dead Man Bracket using the poly disc. Or getting the fabric impregnated ones may be the way to go. Rarely do those break it seems. There are two Lares-branded couplers listed for Torino, I assume one is Saginaw, one is Ford.

I would think between the two of those a person would eventually get the right one without modification?
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2012 at 6:11AM
Yeah you don't want that hockey puck to disintegrate while you're driving. You'll end up in some not so good places. I really really really don't like the steering wheel free spinning at 30mph while my truck...this one...

is going straight ahead towards oncoming traffic. People got out of my way until I hit the curb and then I bounced hard left into the parking lot and stopped a couple feet short of a nice silver 'Vette.

All for a six dollar piece of rubber and some carriage bolts.
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2012 at 1:15PM
Thanks for the info on the P/S hoses. What year did these Torino's start using Saginaw boxes?

As for the coupler, I should have been more clear. When I removed the stock Ford box, I unbolted the coupler. There is a "bow tie" shaped metal end that bolts onto the steer coupler/lower shaft unit I have pictured, and this stayed with the steering box I am pretty sure (I haven't tried yet), that bow tie looking peice from the coupler will fit my Saginaw box. But I don't want to re-use the old rubber in the rag joint/coupler (40 year old rubber isn't so trust worthy).

I haven't removed the coupler/lower shaft from the car yet, but the service manual says it's riveted and not servicable. Is it possible to drill the rivets than bolt it back together with a new rubber biscuit? And do you guys with the later model Torinos/Cougars have this same style lower shaft with the riveted coupler?

When I have a chance I will post more photos over the next few days.

Oh, and I didn't rebuild the Ford box because I wanted a faster ratio than the boat slow stocker, and a Sagniaw box seems to be the only option.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 30-June-2012 at 1:27PM
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2012 at 1:20AM
You can get it apart. I used a HELP! biscuit years ago. I never really paid attention if it was riveted. It probably was. I think I just used nuts and bolts to replace it. 

What your describing doesn't have much to do with a Saginaw swap, but more to do with a "How do I change my rubber coupler"

Paul
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2012 at 12:51PM
Thanks, that is helpful. Once I get the lower shaft out I will have a better idea.

It kind of does have to do with the saginaw swap since that's what I am doing.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2012 at 5:14PM
Another point, you can still get the rag joint from Ford, for Bronco/F series trucks as a service replacement part. Maybe Gary or someone else recalls the part number?

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2012 at 4:54AM
Yes, if someone knows this part #, please post it. I may try to rebuild the stock coupler with parts from my new one, but if that doesn't work I may need that F-series part.

I will keep this thread update so others will know what is involved for the swap.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 02-July-2012 at 4:54AM
Vince

GTS.org Admin
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2012 at 8:23PM
I'm tracking P/N D3OZ3A525A, but that is the Torino specified one, and if there was a newer Bronco one that fit, probably a different part number. Sort of like many other parts where a newer part was made that will work on Torino but the part interchange linking was never done by Ford.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2012 at 2:05AM
That is so odd. My Saginaw Ford box had exactly the same hardware as the old Ford boxes. Guess I really got lucky.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
torino75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torino75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2012 at 4:41PM
Hi, see other thread ''steering box update'' where there is useful info about this very topic, but here's what i can tell you up front, is that the coupler you are showing pics of , looks much like an original part still in good condition, but sandblasted. Also, this coupler depicted will fit the Ford steering Box, but not the saginaw box, since the input shaft sizes differs... (smaller on the ford box, larger on the saginaw) in other words, the steering coupler depicted looks much like a lares#202, while you will need a larees#201 with your new Box, keep us posted how you fit this coupler to your new steering box ;)  But seriously, have a good read and let us all know....

Syl
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2012 at 11:25AM
So I finally had some time to do some work on the car, and thanks to the other steering box thread I have figured out most of what I need to do.

Here is my factory steering coupler. It's easy to remove once the steering box is out. Go under the dash, there is a rubber boot over the lower column to firewall. Remove the three sheetmetal screws and pull the boot back from the firewall. This will give access to the nut and bolt that hold the shaft in place.

Here is the factory coupler after I removed the rivets. They are fairly easy to remove. I used a 3/8" drill bit on my drill press and drilled the most of the head off. Then I used my dremel to remove clean it up and remove the last little bits of the head I misse with the drill bit. The punched out very easily with a punch and hammer.

Here is what I have to put together. The new coupler with connected to the old shaft. I am not going to reinstall the factory deadman, as the new coupler has one and I would have to remove the rivets.

Now the next issue I have is the bolts that came with the new couple are too short to work to bolt to the old shaft. If you see in the photo above with the factory rivets, you'll see that the have a large shoulder for the rubber portion (red circle), then a smaller section for where it goes through the steel (yellow circle) on the lower butterfly section of the shaft. The bolts with the new coupler are like this, but like I said too short. This doesn't allow any play in the rubber or the metal connections.

If I just buy bolts, I am going to have play in the rubber connector which may cause premature wear? Anyone have any ideas on what to do about this? The large shoulder would need to be about .435" or so, and the small shoulder .375".

Vince

GTS.org Admin
torino75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torino75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2012 at 11:37AM
Hi,

as i said in the other steering box post, i removed material from the mating surface on the part seen on the right on your picture, just enough for the bolts & nuts to mate... used a grinder... removed maybe 1/8 inch max. Problem solved.

Syl
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2012 at 4:47AM
Hey Sly,

sorry I missed that post in that thread (it's so long now, it hard to get everything). I think I am going to try using nylon bushings first like black in black did. If that doesn't work, I will grind the shaft like you did.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
marian601 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marian601 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2012 at 8:52AM
stupid question - where to buy saginaw quick ratio cheaper than ebay (359$ + 150$ core charge)???
2015 skoda octavia vRS-wife's car
'99 audi TT quattro 225HP-wife's toy
Gran Torino Sport fastback 351C-getting closer :)
DUCATI scrambler 803-new toy :)
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2012 at 10:13AM
If you know how to rebuild the box, you can swap in the guts from a Jeep Grand Cherokee Saginaw box into your Torino Saginaw box and save yourself some coin. I purchased a used Saginaw box from a '93 JGC and had a mechanic friend of mine rebuild my Ranchero's Saginaw box with the internals from the JGC, making it a 3 turn lock-to-lock box. I had less than $190 invested with the purchase of the used box, rebuild kit and labor costs(which will vary greatly depending how well you know your mechanic/buddy or if you tackle this yourself). If you have the appropriate tools for the rebuild it is a straight-forward process, I guess the hardest part was making sure of the sequence of how the ball bearings go back in(two different diameters). Todd
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
marian601 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marian601 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2012 at 5:02AM
i got saginaw box with standard ratio in my '72 gran torino. does it fits to my car plug&play http://www.ebay.com/itm/QUICK-RATIO-POWER-STEERING-GEARBOX-GEAR-MUSTANG-COUGAR-/300511802204?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ATorino&hash=item45f7e6335c&vxp=mtr  ???
they say it fits to 1973 - 1975 Torino...
2015 skoda octavia vRS-wife's car
'99 audi TT quattro 225HP-wife's toy
Gran Torino Sport fastback 351C-getting closer :)
DUCATI scrambler 803-new toy :)
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2012 at 5:59AM
If you are replacing a Saginaw box with another Saginaw box it "should" be a direct bolt-in, no modifications needed to the box, PS lines or steering rag joint. Ask them if they use a 13/16"splined(early model, what your original Torino box should have) input shaft or a later model .72" splined input shaft, it will make a difference what rag joint assembly you will have to use. After measuring both boxes parts when I had my box rebuilt, I am almost 100% positive both sizes of input shaft/rotary valves can be used in this series of Saginaw boxes. I would put a new rag joint in so you won't have the aggravation of doing it later. I wonder how much of a core credit they will give sending in your standard ratio box and getting back a quick ratio box. Good luck with your swap, the quicker ratio really makes a difference in handling, it'll put a smile on your face for sure. Todd

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2012 at 4:23PM
Marian, Advance Auto has a 3.5:1 box for ~$110. + core

Edited by Psquare75 - 07-October-2012 at 4:23PM
Paul
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2012 at 11:04AM
If you are replacing a Ford box with a saginaw box you will have to do a couple of minor mods. You need a new steering coupler for the saginaw box and will have to modify it to work with the original factory unit (see my photos in the post). You'll also need a new high pressure p/s line. A replacement for a Torino with a saginaw box will work and is available aftermarket. Other than those to changes, it's a bolt up.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
SPLUHAR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPLUHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-October-2012 at 7:05AM
Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

If you know how to rebuild the box, you can swap in the guts from a Jeep Grand Cherokee Saginaw... Todd

Or from a late 80's z28 (12.9-1).
1976 ELITE, 71 429 w/cam, quadrajet, 4 wheel Mark V disc brakes, 3.25 trac lok, gutted & 12.9'd Mustang steering box
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2012 at 7:36AM
Originally posted by SPLUHAR SPLUHAR wrote:

Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

If you know how to rebuild the box, you can swap in the guts from a Jeep Grand Cherokee Saginaw... Todd

Or from a late 80's z28 (12.9-1).

You can in deed swap internals with most 800 series Saginaw boxes, but you need to make sure of a few things for the swap to be a success. Among the variences in this series of steering boxes is the total travel the pitman arm will make going lock to lock. The original Saginaw box installed in my '79 Ranchero had a pitman arm degree travel of about 87 degrees(identical to the JGC box I swapped parts from), if you swap parts from a box with less pitman travel your turning radius will be much larger making the swap's outcome less desirable. Two boxes could share a 3 turn lock to lock ratio, but one has 87 degree travel and the other having only 70 degrees of travel, the 87 degree box will have a much tighter turning radius if all the other steering parts/geometry are identical. Now the vehicle having a 70 degree box could turn as sharp or sharper if the tie rod ends are closer to the spindle center-line and/or the pitman arm itself is longer. If you go here maybe they can explain it in more detail, www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0901_gm_steering_box_upgrade/viewall.html I hope this helps, it did for me when I started researching into my swap. Todd

Post Reply Post Reply