The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

74-76 Gran Torino grill disassembly

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 74-76 Gran Torino grill disassembly
    Posted: 11-July-2012 at 11:45AM
Starting to get all my brightwork gathered up to send to Lee Scott at WildCat Garage and was wondering....

How do you remove the aluminum horizontal bars from the grille without damaging the already brittle plastic grille? Looks like they have a boss that sticks thru the grille with a metal retainer holding them in place on the backside.

THANKS!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2012 at 2:38PM
Joe,if my memory serves me correct,they are push clips thatpushes over the pin on the back side of the horizontal bar.you have to get the clip off the back side.(do not try prying the bar from the front of the grill)your just going to have to get it from the back side,try a long  90 degree seal pick to wiggle the clips off.If im wrong on any of this,someone please chime in.use care as i busted several on my old 74 and had to glue the bars to the grill.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2012 at 1:38AM

John,

I believe your memory is correct, they are rectangular, spring steel, push-on retainers. I think there are 2 (maybe three?) per vertical bar (x7 bars), so I will get plenty of practice removing them!

Also, isn’t the grill two-toned? The prominent “egg-crate” sections a silver argent and the background a charcoal/dark gray argent? What have others used to accomplish the correct look?

As always, my thanks for everyone’s help!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2012 at 5:54AM
I am pondering a change from the traditional fish mouth. I will most likely fabricate something to go in there, something way cooler. I have looked at the configuration of the grille itself and yes there are little clips on it that look like a PITA to remove, so use patience. I have gotten a couple of ideas from youtube. Good luck.
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2012 at 11:05AM
OK, had a closer look at my grill today. The vertical bars have 3 bosses thru the grill and (luckily) FORD only used the top and bottom ones (at least on my car)...

The bars are held on with an "H" shaped, spring steel keeper that should (hopefully) release easily using a long 90 degree pick as John suggested. Just need to take my time and work gingerly to prevent breakage of the 35+ year old plastic.

Speaking of breakage, the top center of my grill has broken at some point in the past... what's the best way to repair the crack???

Thanks for all suggestions....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Zebra 3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2012 at 11:14AM
....A couple of possible fixes:
  Cyanoacrylate (CA) glue....better known as Super Glue....test it first to make sure that it does not make the plastic brittle!!  CA melts plastic together and when used on some plastics it can cause a very un desired reaction chrystalizing the plastic.

Marine GOOP......It's good stuff!!!
"I deeply admire the men who founded this country, and I think we ought to know more about them and how they lived and the force and courage they had.
Henry Ford. 1926
Brian Conn
'76 Torino
Ranchero Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2012 at 5:35PM
JB Weld or similar epoxy for plastic. I have seen some plastic weld products at my local ACE Hardware.
Brian   1973 Ford Ranchero Big Block. ''THE OTHER WOMAN''
 Post Reply Post Reply