The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Ranchero Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Front spoiler from scratch 2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front spoiler from scratch 2
    Posted: 26-July-2012 at 6:21AM
Ok I screwed up, I'm just going to put all the pics at once so here goes:
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2012 at 6:23AM
Ok, obviously I cannot figure out how to put multiple pics on here, and like a retard, I deleted them after I uploaded. Anyway, sorry. I'll figure it out eventually.
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2012 at 6:27AM
The whole thing was; I'm building a fiberglass front spoiler for my 75. I'm making the fascia from cardboard and styrofoam, tape and Elmers glue along with other odds and ends to achieve my desired shape (nothing too crazy as this is my first attempt). I am then going to paper mache it little by little as to not warp the cardboard, then I will finish up with fiberglass. I hope it comes out ok, as this will shave off many pounds. OOooo, almost forgot... I have to integrate a space for the license plate!
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2012 at 7:43AM
Ok, got the pics on what I have so far on: http://s1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee513/papadeath/ 
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2012 at 7:53AM
this is gonna replace your bumper? 

either way, this is awesome to tackle a fabrication from scratch like this.  i LOVE it!!
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2012 at 12:19PM

72 GT Ute

papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2012 at 2:19PM
Well then, I reckon the pics finally showed up... Yes, Legend, going to replace the heavy-a** bumper. If this works out, I'll build one for my beater Toyota truck. I'll have new pics Monday. I've been doing some checking on youtube and it didn't look that hard, so what the heck. I may even make the last layer carbon fiber, so it'll look sweeet! I'll keep pics up of my progress. 
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
Z0014nd3l2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Z0014nd3l2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-July-2012 at 8:15AM
More power to you... You wont see me try and tackel something like that...lol. But yeah, I have been known to watch YouTube from time to time and find something to be fairly easy to tackel. However, just like Transformers "More Than Meets The Eye"...lol
'74 Ford Gran Torino Sport w/ 351 Windsor (Starsky & Hutch Clone)
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2012 at 8:06AM
Ok, more pics on: http://s1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee513/papadeath/... Yay! Coming along, a little more cutting and shaping and I'll be ready to start paper mache-ing...? Learned that on youtube as well, tee-hee. The PM goes down first so the fiberglass resin doesn't eat it up. It's also easier to shape. Well, even if it looks stupid when I'm done, I'll be getting more air for cooling, it'll help keep the front end down, and I'll save a buncha' weight. To top it all off, I made it meself. By the way; I'm using Elmers glue, packing tape, hot glue, a couple of 1/4 inch dowel sticks (to offset the rake of the spoiler), and 1" thick styrofoam insulation I got from Homeless Depot for ten bucks. This fiberglass crap ain't cheap, though. A gallon of resin (the tacky stuff, he explained to me that I would need some of the final coat as well, gak), which costs 46 bucks, the fabric cost me 12 I think, and the rollie thing that looks like a paint roller, some 'chop', about 7-8 bucks, etc. Total cost of this whole thing so far is about 110 bucks. I already had the bondo rasp, which you'll need for shaping the foam, and I have my Dewalt angle grinder with a cutting wheel which works very well on this stuff, quick too.
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
smhj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2012 at 12:14PM
73MONTEGO
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2012 at 4:50PM
Thanks, Smhj, it never works for me.!
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2012 at 5:08PM
okkkkk, tomorrow, after putting 6 coats of paint on it, then coating it with shellac (what I've heard you're supposed to do before fiberglass), I'm going to try and put the first coat of FB on it. Crossing my fingers that it doesn't eat up the styrofoam. Just hit the photobucket link up there I'll post pics as I'm doing it.
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2012 at 7:35AM
Keep clicking on that photobucket link for the latest pics.
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
srwith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srwith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2012 at 9:03PM
Looking at your progress on PB, How are you going to cap the ends off?
two loves, torino's and bike riding. drive and ride safe.
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2012 at 8:55AM
What ends? I will finish it off with Bondo. Actually haven't worked on it lately. Got a little extra money and instead of paying down my cards I'm going to spend it on headers, rebuild my power steering and get my rear end. Back burner on the spoiler....  I'll update soon. The Lares unit I just ordered doesn't look like it's going to fit, I am SO annoyed. I hate having my car sit at this shop while they order the right one so I guess I'm going to have them rebuild the one that's in it.
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
srwith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srwith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2012 at 10:12AM
I was talking about were bumper had rapped around the fender. I see a gap between the spoiler and the fender. What are you going to use to close that gapErmm

Edited by srwith - 20-September-2012 at 10:14AM
two loves, torino's and bike riding. drive and ride safe.
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2012 at 9:27AM
I will slip a piece of paper or plastic film between the spoiler and fender so it won't stick, then I will fill it in with Bondo and smooth it out. There are still a few more layers of FG I have to add to strenghen it up as well.
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
JGSally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGSally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2012 at 10:32AM
That front spoiler actually looks pretty slick.
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2012 at 7:37AM
Hahaha, thanks, JG! It'll look much better after I finish it and paint it flat or semi gloss black. I just hope it holds up at 100+. Probably break apart like the shuttle.... Waaaa?
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2012 at 7:50AM

Just adding some more reinforcing to make it stronger. I used carriage bolts that will be permanently attached with the aid of chainlink fence straps (the closest thing I could find that seem to hold them securely), and drilled out just a little so they won't spin when I tighten them. It's coming along, guys. It shouldn't be taking this long but I DO actually have to work a bit while I'm down here, lol.
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2012 at 7:52AM
The bolt tops will be completely covered with FG. I may wind up gluing on the license plate, a requirement in California unfortunately, because I don't want to drill any unnecessary holes. 
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2012 at 8:29AM
Wow, that is really taking shape. I admire your ingenuity and ability to take an idea, and literally form it by hand. Nice job, and I am betting it will hold up.

Rather than glue on the plates (in case you ever have to swap them), is there a way to make a pocket/frame for it to slide into?
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2012 at 3:30PM
NICE!
Keep us posted on it!!!
< id="_npwlo" ="applicationpwlo" height="0">

Edited by crispy23c - 24-October-2012 at 3:30PM
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2012 at 7:33AM
Hmmm, Unloved, that's a good idea. I'll get my fabricator (if I can get him to actually work), to peep it out. I'm already waiting for him to get my grille underway. I may have mentioned this in another post, but I'm going to put teeth in the grille, or rather, completely redo it. Fabbing a frame first, one that will have a bottom edge since all of you know that with the stock grille out there's no bottom edge. As soon as he starts I'll post pics, Yay!
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2012 at 7:42AM
I got some resin on the bolt threads. My friend suggested I use a die to clean them up. Sounds good. I'm sorry this is taking so long. When I send out my headers to get coated (they told me about 7 days), (which brings me to an interesting question: What's a better coating for headers, spray on or baked on, and do they even do that? Every place I've called tell me they spray it on.), I will finish this stupid thing. 
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2012 at 8:06AM
Ceramic coating the by far the best. Keeps heat inside the tubes, rather than baking everything as badly outside them.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2012 at 2:39PM
Pick 'em up Wednsday, I'll post pics.
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2012 at 6:49AM
Ok, here's massive amounts of Bondo. It's getting there. Just a few more layers, sanding and then painting. And yes, it will be removable.
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
wideone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2012 at 7:24AM
Coming along nicely!
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2012 at 7:31AM
Hahaa, thanks, Wide, but too much work. Don't think I'll be doing another one for quite some time. I don't wish this on my worst enemy. I'm just afraid that after all this it will look like poop.
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
 Post Reply Post Reply