The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trunk Gasket Install Hints

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trunk Gasket Install Hints
    Posted: 04-August-2012 at 5:13PM
I found a couple of helpful hints when installing a new trunk gasket,I know its only a freaking gasket how hard could it be right? I purchased a Dennis carpenter gasket for my 75 formal roof.The trunk was aligned prior to paint with the new gasket to be installed afterwards.Installed the new gasket cut to fit lenght.thought I was good to go.couldn't shut the trunk,even with 2 of us trying.I found that the repro gasket does not have air released holes as the original gasket had.so I marked out the repro gasket were the holes should be,then used a hi- speed 1/8 die grinder with a pointed bit and cut small holes to match the original gasket.I was able to close the trunk at that point but not without more force then should be needed.I figured that it was hard still because the new was not conformed to the trunk lid,so i figured I'll  silicone the gasket to help soften it up.Spray silicone on a rag and wipe the gasket down.what a difference, the trunk now shuts like a dream after the silicone was added.I believe the new gasket was actually grabbing the deck lid and not allowing to conform to the lid.Also try using KENTS ULTRA STIK blk,for the closest thing to fords gasket adhesive.I don't have the part# right now.but I will post it.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2012 at 1:23AM
Good catch (and fix) on the air holes. Don't think I would have thought of it. Makes sense about the grab of the new rubber.
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2012 at 2:38PM

This gasket adhesive is the closest stuff to the original ford, I have found.I don't think you will find it in any part store,unless they carry KENT products.Part#P10190

John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
 Post Reply Post Reply