The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rear shocks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VolunteerJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rear shocks
    Posted: 27-September-2006 at 2:09AM
I know this is an easy question.  I can't seem to get to the upper nut on the rear shocks on my '72 Gran Torino.  Is there an access panel or something else I am unaware of?  The nuts are fairly rusted and I'll never get them off without an air wrench or something.  Please help.  Thanks so much.-John
GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2006 at 3:08AM
My mechanic uses a torch and cuts the old shock off when that happens.
VolunteerJohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VolunteerJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2006 at 7:01AM
I was afraid of that.  Thanks for the help!
PatsPOS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatsPOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2006 at 5:47PM
My brother and I discovered a trick many years ago for rear shock removal on midsize cars.  Loosen the lower shock mount and let the shock hang.  Grab it by the bottom, then pull it like hell toward the center of the car.  Then turn the upper half of the shock 180º (or as far as you can get it to go) and pull like hell again.  Eventually the part of the piston rod that goes through the upper shock mount will work-harden and snap off.

Now I just hope this trick works when I go to change the shocks on my '91 Vic, which is even MORE impossible than a midsize Ford! Confused

Pat
'75 460 Gran Torino Sport (14.04 @ 97 MPH)
'91 Crown Vic (18.09 @ 75 MPH)
'89 300 F-150 (18.37 @ 73 MPH)
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2006 at 2:54AM
Just wondering is your last name Foxworthy?
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
 Post Reply Post Reply