The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

plastic inner fender baffles?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: plastic inner fender baffles?
    Posted: 19-October-2012 at 12:41PM
am i anywhere close with these plastic baffles? they were presented as being for this generation Ford Intermediate body, i'm not even sure i have them near the right location or if they are truly correct for or will work in a 72? the couple of cars i've 'been into' didn't have these by the time i got there as i wasn't the first in, the fenders had been R&R'd before

anybody have these in their fenders, somewhere else, are they for 77-79.5 or another body ?
there is a tiny little PN on each but it's not a Ford number

72 GT Ute

75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2012 at 1:24PM
Max,I have them on my 75,during my disassembly,I found out the pass side was never installed,I was able to get one.mine have 73 engineering numbers on them(for 73/up).I'm not sure if they came on the 72 cars.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2012 at 1:43PM
so do the baffles in my pics look exactly like what you have in yours... or just similar?

what do they attach to / how inside the fender?

anybody got a fender off & can post a pic?

or a 1975-ish factory body manual scan? 

i still have to re-create my fenders & they're not accessible at the moment
pretty sure they were presented as 1973+  but i figured i could make it work
72 GT Ute

picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2012 at 2:05PM
Here's a not so great photo of the baffle as it was attached to the front fender of my 73 GT.  I believe these were found only on 73 and up.  Paul~

1972 GTS 351CJ-4V black/black
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2012 at 2:07PM
Another view.  Paul~

1972 GTS 351CJ-4V black/black
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2012 at 2:09PM
Here is the back side of a 73-76 torino/ranchero fender. Take notice of the mounting flange with the self tapping screws monted in it. That is what those plastic guards mount up to.

Ranchero Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2012 at 2:15PM

Max, I don't have my '73 at the house, but looking at your pics, & Paul's pic of his '73, yours looks like you have them upside down or backwards. But they should work for you. I went out to my workroom & looked at one from a '76 Ranchero I parted out & it was attached to to fender w/  plastic push pins. I'm not sure if it's original or not. 

Brian   1973 Ford Ranchero Big Block. ''THE OTHER WOMAN''

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2012 at 3:16PM
haha yeah i looked at the pics after i  posted & i thought maybe i might have them upside down
maybe upside down & on the wrong side too?

thanks guys for jumping on this with the pics & explanations, with what i have to do to get my fenders back on the car, adding some tabs for the baffles to attach to isn't much. i'm sure i'll post pics of the whole deal if i ever get to it Embarrassed
72 GT Ute

Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2012 at 5:22PM
I ran into this issue on my 72, when I was attempting to install of 1973 part number shields. I was clearance trimming them and decided not worth messing with.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2012 at 5:15AM
Are there any repops of these?

Edited by GranTorinoSport - 21-October-2012 at 5:20AM
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2012 at 10:20AM
I have not seen any.
carguy47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carguy47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2012 at 11:36AM
Mine are missing as well. Didn't know what they were called until you posted this article. I have not seen any of these on the boneyard cars either. Must be an elusive Ford piece!
You have to build em to drive em!
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2012 at 12:38PM

By the looks of Andy's 72 fender,looks like the flange area is present to screw the baffle too.I installed my  rt baffle with the inner fender out,If you are trying to make them fit on a 72. I'd temp hang the fender with inner fender out to make it fit.

John 75Gran Torino 4spd
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2012 at 12:52PM
Here's the only picture I have of my Rt side installed taken with the door off. 
John 75Gran Torino 4spd

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2012 at 1:40PM
i just made up a name for them... i only have the 1972 factory manuals & i guess they're not supposed to be in there, does somebody have a later body manual that shows them, maybe with the PN & Ford terminology for what they called them?

i ran across them on ebay while searching for the lower fender well splash shields IIRC

BlueOval6079 prolly has a mountain of them?
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2012 at 2:10AM
Max, I  looked in a '76 body man. the other nite, when you first posted, I didn't see it in there either.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2012 at 2:44AM
My cars had an inner baffle that was radically different. It had jute matting (similar to a carpet underlayment) attached to it. It's a chore to install them without the entire deal falling apart. These plastic pieces look easier to deal with.

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2012 at 4:45AM
Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

My cars had an inner baffle that was radically different. It had jute matting (similar to a carpet underlayment) attached to it. It's a chore to install them without the entire deal falling apart. These plastic pieces look easier to deal with.

I bet later ones were changed to be more focused on sound dampening. The hard plastic ones probably don't kill as much noise.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2012 at 4:47AM
I ordered a pair from BlueOval (I think) in GA.  Mine for the 73 look a bit skinnier, but may just be me.  It was pretty easy to figure out how to install them. I used a bunch of the plastic push clips a buddy gave me.   I'm not totally sure their function, but I got them to restore the car.

Of course, I forgot to put the drivers side on when I swapped out the fender :rolleyes: but I need to take that fender off anyway to align everything up....
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2012 at 5:34AM
When I pulled my '76 Gran Torino apart, I, like Psquare75, had the carpet jute style fender line. While I had the Cougar removing the roof skin, I robbed the plastic liners from it. While the contour of the Torino and Cougar front fenders are slightly different, I plan on using the rigid plastic Cougar pieces when I put mine back together (using a semi-rigid rubber to seal the slight opening along the center of the fender).

I have attached the Ford Illustrated Parts Manual page showing the  "FRONT FENDER TO COWL SIDE SOUND ABSORBER" as well as the part number text page.

Hope this helps.....

Edited by TV 2M8O - 22-October-2012 at 5:36AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2012 at 5:45AM
Originally posted by Ranchero Fan Ranchero Fan wrote:

Max, I  looked in a '76 body man. the other nite, when you first posted, I didn't see it in there either.

76 BODY MANUAL...... where do I get one of those????!!!!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2012 at 7:23AM
Makes me wonder if these were only used on higher trim levels like Elites and Broughams for sound deadening?
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2012 at 12:01PM
Originally posted by TV 2M8O TV 2M8O wrote:

Originally posted by Ranchero Fan Ranchero Fan wrote:

76 BODY MANUAL...... where do I get one of those????!!!!!
  iT'S VOL. #4 OF THE 5 VOL. FACTORY SHOP MANUAL SET, often found on e bay & swap meets. It covers, seats,window & glass mech.,stationarygrass,doors,hoods,interior trim removal etc., etc.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2012 at 12:07PM
Originally posted by occupant occupant wrote:

Makes me wonder if these were only used on higher trim levels like Elites and Broughams for sound deadening?
Could be, but my '76 Ranchero 500 had it on them as well. along with a smaller plastic shield. It's been so long that I took them off,& so long since I could get to the cabinet were they been sitting(since the other night) that I fogot all about them.Confused
kversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2012 at 1:36PM
Originally posted by TV 2M8O TV 2M8O wrote:

When I pulled my '76 Gran Torino apart, I, like Psquare75, had the carpet jute style fender line. While I had the Cougar removing the roof skin, I robbed the plastic liners from it. While the contour of the Torino and Cougar front fenders are slightly different, I plan on using the rigid plastic Cougar pieces when I put mine back together (using a semi-rigid rubber to seal the slight opening along the center of the fender).

I have attached the Ford Illustrated Parts Manual page showing the  "FRONT FENDER TO COWL SIDE SOUND ABSORBER" as well as the part number text page.

Hope this helps.....

Dont mean to hijack but where did you get this manual?   i have been looking for somethings similar to this for a wile.

Back on track  I had these shields on all 4 of the 73's we have had including the 4 door car.
-kevin-
Brown 72 gran torino 351c 2v
Black 73 GTS FB 302
Red 73 GTS FB 351C C6 trans
73 GTS FB Parted
73 torino 4dr, 302, FMX parted
97 F250 crew cab 7.3 diesel

http://kverschtorino.blogspot.com/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2012 at 2:10PM
That looks to be from the parts book, they generally show more detail than the shop manual. They show up at swap meets, e bay, & automotive literature shows too. Geen Sales I beleive, has a microfiche set up for sale. I'm not sure what files come with it.
kversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2012 at 3:12PM
-kevin-
Brown 72 gran torino 351c 2v
Black 73 GTS FB 302
Red 73 GTS FB 351C C6 trans
73 GTS FB Parted
73 torino 4dr, 302, FMX parted
97 F250 crew cab 7.3 diesel

http://kverschtorino.blogspot.com/
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2012 at 4:10PM
Illustrations & text from the Illustrated Parts Catalog. Sorry for the fuzzy images I'll post cleaner copies tomorrow.
Yeah, that looks like the paper edition but the parts catalog also is available on cd. I have both and they are well work their weight in gold!

Watch eBay for the 73-79 Illustrated Parts Catalog cd....

Good luck with your search!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2012 at 5:48PM
I have it electronically. Anyone looking for a Christmas present from the GranTorinoSport.org?
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2012 at 9:54PM
Let's try these again from photobucket....

Didn't quite post like I wanted but at least now you can clearly see the images....

Hope these are better!!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 22-October-2012 at 10:00PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>