The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Ranchero Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New wheels-n-tires

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New wheels-n-tires
    Posted: 11-November-2012 at 12:37PM
I found a really good deal on 20'' wheels and tires, that I just couldn't pass up. Let me know what you think, please be kind Big smile.

www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2012 at 1:18PM
Personally, I really like it. I'm running a set of 18's on one of mine, so those 20's do that truck well.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2012 at 1:24PM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

Personally, I really like it. I'm running a set of 18's on one of mine, so those 20's do that truck well.
Thank you for the kind words, Unlovedford. I was really "skeered" the wheels would look TOO big compared to the 17's I had on there before, but I just couldn't pass on such a good deal. I sweated it until I mounted them on the car/truck, it just pops now, compared to the polished aluminum wheels these replaced. I did re-lower the Ranchero about 2" in front and 2.5" out back and still have 3" of suspension travel before a bumpstop will be touched. Todd

Edited by aquartlow - 11-November-2012 at 1:24PM

unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2012 at 1:33PM
Our vehcles have such large fenderwells, they practically beg for large diameter wheels. Your wheels have that classic 5 spoke design that works so well on these Fords.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2012 at 1:37PM
i like em.  they look great.  the stance is perfect too.  i personally dont like the 20+ inch rims when they jack the car up but yours looks cool...
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2012 at 2:08PM
Originally posted by legend onirot legend onirot wrote:

i like em.  they look great.  the stance is perfect too.  i personally dont like the 20+ inch rims when they jack the car up but yours looks cool...

Thank you, Legend Onirot, for the kind words. Todd

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2012 at 3:21PM
I am not diggin them.
I appreciate everyone's personal tastes/preferences but for me that is not a look I like.
Same as people don't like some of my tastes.

For me it is not so much the huge tire/rim as it is I do not like a tucked in look.
hell I do not like tubbed cars with huge meet sitting 3" inside the top of the fender lip.
Go figure?

A good deal is hard to pass on though! lol

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2012 at 3:40PM
Originally posted by Regul8r Regul8r wrote:

I am not diggin them.
I appreciate everyone's personal tastes/preferences but for me that is not a look I like.
Same as people don't like some of my tastes.

For me it is not so much the huge tire/rim as it is I do not like a tucked in look.
hell I do not like tubbed cars with huge meet sitting 3" inside the top of the fender lip.
Go figure?

A good deal is hard to pass on though! lol

Fair enough. I can appreciate your point of view, even if it differs from my own. Thanks for the reply, Regul8r.

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2012 at 4:14PM
Want to sell? (half joking).

Seriously though. specs? I wanted to ditch my 17s and do 20s.

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2012 at 12:02AM
Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

Want to sell? (half joking).

Seriously though. specs? I wanted to ditch my 17s and do 20s.

Paul,
  Lol, no can't sell 'em just yet. The wheels are chromed Boyd Coddington J5R's, 20 x 8.5 +6mm offset(4.99" backspace) tires are General G-max 245/40/20, got a heck of a deal on the package. The rears have plenty of room all around, probably even going to go with a 1" wheel spacer to bring the wheel/tire closer to the rear fender. The fronts made the decision for me about wheel width and backspace due to the retrofit of 2000 Crown Vic front rotors and calipers, the additional thickness of the rotor hat pushes the wheels mounting face on the rotor out, towards the fenders about 5/16-3/8". I went with the same size all around to allow tire rotation. These were the first wheels or tires I have ordered online, so I was sweating the size/look while they were in transit. I have to say they look tons better to me compared to my older 17's, my 13 year old son agrees as well, got to admit it does me good to hear him like my 33 year old ride. Todd

jrich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2012 at 6:46AM
that looks good
Joe richardson
mlachance112785 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlachance112785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2012 at 2:26AM
Those look awesome. I'd love to get something like that for the Cougar. 
77 Cougar XR7 460/C6
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2012 at 6:56AM
I personally like more rubber between me and the ground. What saves these is the 5 spokes. Anything else would be hideous, hehe. A deal is a deal, and I can live with those. I like the stance as well, but the chrome fender accents bother me. I'll bet your handling is much tighter, eh? How's the ride?
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2012 at 7:33AM
Papa, I haven't even test drove it on any highway since I put the wheels/tires on Sat. the 10th. I've got to go register the vehicle to finally get my tag, been in restoration process forever it seems. It was a little firm before, with the 17's and cut coil springs. Then I added shorter sidewalls and cut the coils an additional 1/2 coil. I've driven it on my 800 foot driveway, but not down the road at speed. Will find that out hopefully by this weekend. My son is hounding me to drive him to school in it while using my other truck's tag. Todd 

papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2012 at 7:36AM
Hahaha, yea, kids love to be taken to school in cool cars.! Very nice looking ride, man.
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2012 at 9:09AM
Originally posted by papadeath papadeath wrote:

Hahaha, yea, kids love to be taken to school in cool cars.! Very nice looking ride, man.
Thank you for the positive words.    Hey, hows the grille coming along? Todd

72BoB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2012 at 2:17AM
I think it works. The only issue that I have with most people running 20"+ wheels on their cars is when they do nothing to the suspension and it looks like the car is just floating. A car with large wheels looks fine to me as long as they tuck nicely underneath...

...and this is coming from me, who loves the small-wheel-big-rubber look.

Edited by 72BoB - 15-November-2012 at 2:18AM
1972 Torino
 Post Reply Post Reply