The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Ranchero Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72 Q code 4 speed value

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeattleJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72 Q code 4 speed value
    Posted: 05-December-2012 at 4:39AM
Looking at a good driver quality Q 4 speed no rust. Block is matching heads intake carb not. Trans matches and rear diff upgraded to trac lok was open. A/C works and not original paint with bed being okay to good. Would 8k be too much? It looks good in pics sitting on cragar five spokes. Just shooting for a general idea. Thanks
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2012 at 5:00AM
depends on condition i would say.  the true value of anything is determined mainly by what the seller is willing to take for it but most importantly what the buyer is willing to give.  these cars are rare to begin with, but a q code 4 speed is the holy grail for many.  if that is what you want, you are satisfied with the condition, and you are willing to give it... i say go for it.  (but always try to talk them down tee hee)

i assume by "bed" that was supposed to body?  or is it a ranchero? 
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2012 at 5:17AM
Considering this is in the Ranchero forum, I think it's a Ranchero.
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2012 at 6:06AM
oops... i didnt even notice that.  i just clicked on it from the recent posts and didnt pay attention.  my bad...  Embarrassed
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
SeattleJay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeattleJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2012 at 6:16AM
Thanks for the reply. It is a ranchero and I'm at a loss when its a car like this. Always wanted one just wonder after full restoring if I would be buried in the car money wise. Sure don't come along that often.
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2012 at 8:27AM
Something like this, you will have to buy with your heart if it is an item that you have always wanted. $8,000 entry price plus a restoration will end up being more than the truck's market value, so you must decide.

Long term keeper. Not a great flip.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
SeattleJay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeattleJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2012 at 12:17PM
Pissed around too long just sold. Oh well, not meant to be. Thanks for the insight guys. With travel expense or shipping would have been about 9k.
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2012 at 2:05PM
Jay, just some words of wisdom...
Ford "matching numbers" does not mean alot.
IF you can confirm it is the ORIGINAL motor that came with the car from the factory and it is somehow documented... OK
But Ford Matching numbers means it it has the correct year and car casting number.
Ford did not SERIAL number parts to make it matching numbers parts.

as for the $9k total for it... it would HAVE to be almost PERFECT or FULLY restored already.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2012 at 3:10PM
I own two rancheros (74 and 79) and Love them both. But as advice to a possible ranchero owner in the future be aware that rancheros (as a rule) do not bring in the same cash amount as thier torino/montego cousin's. You just have to like one to own one they are NOT an investment they are a toy or a driver. Both of mine are nicley done (one modified to look like a montego) and either one would not bring in any more than 8K (IMO). that is why I would not sell them it's better to enjoy them and use them up. I built up both of mine for less than 15K ea and that is not bad for a cool looking fun to drive cruiser.  
72sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2012 at 3:28PM
Originally posted by Regul8r Regul8r wrote:

Jay, just some words of wisdom...
Ford "matching numbers" does not mean alot.
IF you can confirm it is the ORIGINAL motor that came with the car from the factory and it is somehow documented... OK
But Ford Matching numbers means it it has the correct year and car casting number.
Ford did not SERIAL number parts to make it matching numbers parts.

as for the $9k total for it... it would HAVE to be almost PERFECT or FULLY restored already.

Ford DID stamp a partial VIN on the back of engine blocks.  Maybe not on all there car throughout the years, but they DID do it.
Tom
1972 Gran Torino Sport 4Spd
1974 Montego wagon "GT" with GT hood, correct buckets
seats, console, and floor shift
2013 Focus 5 speed- Daily driver
iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2012 at 3:33PM
Carl, the engine block and transmission actually due have the vehicle VIN # stamped on them. The rest of the parts don't.
Period correct is probably and easier statement these days. Using parts that are either date correct for the year or available options for the year & model.
This is where I'm currently at a tough decision with my resto. I am converting to a 4 speed and added the Ram Air. Now I'm trying to decide if I will add the Cyclone decals instead of the Montego GT emblems. I don't intend to try and pass it off as a "true" Cyclone but if I had a time machine and could go back and order a new one, this is how it would have turned out. After all, this car is being built for me to enjoy the way I want it to be ( I hope)  lol
Ian Glyn-Jones
Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
Forum; http://mmgt.forumchitchat.com/
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2012 at 5:07PM
Interesting to here you guys say they DID stamp #s.
You are the first 2 guys EVER to tell me that.
All my years I have never see a VIN stamp.

This is new interesting something I will keep my eyes open for it all now.
Thanks for the info, I learn something new everyday!

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
torkair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torkair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2012 at 9:53PM
You can usually find the partial vin stamped on the back of the block on the drivers side just below the deck.  It can be a royal pain to find as Ford wasn't consistent with the stamping location in that area.
72 Gran Torino "sport"- in progress

73 Ranchero GT- Q code-460/C6/3.25 open rear
iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2012 at 1:23AM
Hey Carl, we are ALL still learning stuff everyday to no worries my friend.

BTW this is how I could account for a Montego GT that doesn't exist anymore. I found a toploader at an auction and had a close look an found the VIN. Wasn't hard to tell it came from a Montego.
Ian Glyn-Jones
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2012 at 4:53AM
Ian, my opinion is that your car should have the Cyclone decals.

Let's put it in this context:

Let's say that you are out driving it and pull up to a red light. 2 kids are next to you, glance over and say "Dude, that's a CYCLONE!". You smile and continue on to the mall, where you look at the reflection of your car as you drive past the storefront windows. "Cyclone" is staring back at you, and if you are a car guy, that really means a lot.

I know that you are restoring it for your enjoyment. Are you going to find more excuses to drive it, get more excited, and have a non-removeable sh*t-eating grin when you walk up to your car as a Montego GT...or...a Cyclone? Both are nice, but...hey?

This message is not intended to sway anyone...maybe, LOL.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2012 at 4:55AM
Originally posted by iangj iangj wrote:

BTW this is how I could account for a Montego GT that doesn't exist anymore. I found a toploader at an auction and had a close look an found the VIN. Wasn't hard to tell it came from a Montego.

Very nice!

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2012 at 8:50AM
Thanks for that Joe. I really appreciate input from you and the membership (family).
I think I will go that route because I can always peel off the stickers & stripes then install the chrome emblems if I ever want to return it to the way it came.
Cheers!!
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

Ian, my opinion is that your car should have the Cyclone decals.

Let's put it in this context:

Let's say that you are out driving it and pull up to a red light. 2 kids are next to you, glance over and say "Dude, that's a CYCLONE!". You smile and continue on to the mall, where you look at the reflection of your car as you drive past the storefront windows. "Cyclone" is staring back at you, and if you are a car guy, that really means a lot.

I know that you are restoring it for your enjoyment. Are you going to find more excuses to drive it, get more excited, and have a non-removeable sh*t-eating grin when you walk up to your car as a Montego GT...or...a Cyclone? Both are nice, but...hey?

This message is not intended to sway anyone...maybe, LOL.
Ian Glyn-Jones
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
 Post Reply Post Reply