The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1972 Wiring Harness Diagrams

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1972 Wiring Harness Diagrams
    Posted: 12-December-2012 at 2:06PM
Does anyone have, or know of a source, for 1972 Gran Torino wiring diagrams?

We're getting into wiring up the engine, AC, and instruments and I'm finding that the books I have that I thought would be sufficient are woefully inadequate.  I have the "Ford 1972" set of blue books that cover basically all models for that year. But the wiring information isn't detailed enough.  What I'm looking for are schematics with wire color and connector pin labeling.

I did find some 1973 wiring diagrams online and saved those, but, I'm unsure if they match 1972 or not. It seems some of it does not everything.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks!
Ron
04 Ford Lightning
72 GTS BB Stroker & Toploader
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2012 at 3:00PM
I think the 72-73 are pretty close. Found this on the front page before the forum in the documents section. http://grantorinosport.org/librarymaintenance.htm

Johnny cash Special 74-75-76 freak. 77 XR7. 78 LTD II sport looks pretty but poop 302 in it.
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2012 at 4:32PM
Ron, the ones I have posted over at the main part of GranTorinoSport.org are the 1973 (likely what you found), and it should be very similar.

I do not have possession of 72 wire diagram manuals.

I have 75 & 76 and a different copy of the 73 version. But that is all.

If someone would like to get me a good copy of the 72 wire diagram I would post it up...
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2012 at 5:08PM
72 and 73 A/C wirings ARE different.

Andy and I found some ODD sensors on the white 73 GTS we cut apart, I found them on the 73 I stripped but did not find them on the 72 I stripped.

Would be interested to compare the 2 side by side.
NO IDEA what they were are are for!

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2012 at 12:31AM
Robb and Scott, yes, I think the diagrams there you have are what we were using. But, we discovered some differences early on and still haven;t gotten into the AC part.

Where did the 73 diagram come from that you scanned? That is, are their other 72 Torino shop manuals other than this generic set of 72 Ford books I have? 

I'll get on Ebay and see what I can find. Anything I turn up, or create the old fashion way, we'll make available. Essentially we want to use the connectors through the firewall to wire the engine bay but we won't be using nearly as much stuff as in the factory harness.  There are two firewall connectors, a light/washer bottle harness and essentially an engine harness.  We'll use the light/washer bottle harness as is, but need to work on the other harness. A list of functions that we need in the engine harness are:

+12V back to the inside of the car (comes in on two thick yellow wires)
+12V switched to a relay for the MSD (coil, dizzy, etc. will draw from this relay)
+12V momentary to the starter solenoid
Water temp sensor
Oil pressure sender
AC compressor on

And probably some more I'll add to as I think of it. We don't need any alternator functions as we have one wire alternator, but, I'll have to look into that if we wish to maintain the dash ammeter functionality. The electric fan we're using will be controlled by a system up in the engine bay and will not have to receive power or signals from inside the car.

04 Ford Lightning
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2012 at 2:17AM
We have a set of '72 wiring diagrams C ordered off Ebay. They are the large format originals. I'd be happy to provide them here if someone can figure out a way to scan something that size.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2012 at 5:21AM
Joe,

For the purposes of the website, if you could take them to kinkos or something and get copies made and then ship them to me, I would of course be willing to pay for the copying, shipping, shipping container, etc and for your time.

Regards,

Scott
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2012 at 5:32AM
i think i have a set of copies of my 72 wiring diagrams.  i believe my buddy made an extra set when he made copies for himself.
Mike
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2012 at 6:39AM
I'd be fine with doing Kinko's at my expense. Glad to help.

BTW, Mike, I am PM'ing you on that item you need.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Grumpy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2012 at 11:35AM
Grumpy old man
Grumpy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2012 at 11:36AM
Hello,
I have PDF of the 1972 Ford shop schematics and I'll try to figure out how to attach.

Mike

Grumpy old man
Grumpy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2012 at 11:46AM
Hello again,
Found the way to upload but file size is limited to 500KB.  This PDF is 15.4 meg.  Maybe admin can email me and I can email PDF to them to upload.

Mike

Grumpy old man
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2012 at 1:00PM
If you email it to me at "rlearp at gt40s.com" I'll upload it to GT40s.com and then post the link here.

Ron
04 Ford Lightning
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
Grumpy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2012 at 1:32PM
Originally posted by Ron Earp Ron Earp wrote:

If you email it to me at "rlearp at gt40s.com" I'll upload it to GT40s.com and then post the link here.

Ron

Hey Ron,
Should be on the way.  I don't have a fast connection so it may take a few minutes to get there.

Mike
Grumpy old man
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2012 at 2:28PM
Awesome, thank you much. I've uploaded it and the link for it is here:

It is 15 meg and will take awhile to download.

Edited by Ron Earp - 13-December-2012 at 2:29PM
04 Ford Lightning
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2012 at 3:37PM
That is awesome!!! Grumpy and Ron Earp both, thank you!!
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
 Post Reply Post Reply