Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dash Pads - Repros, Used, Restore

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dash Pads - Repros, Used, Restore
    Posted: 07-January-2013 at 10:38AM
I have the dash apart on my car to get the radio restored. My original dash pad is in mint shape, except for that big ol' crack right down the center. Now that I have it out, I am thinking that I should replace it.

Has anyone used the Dearborn repros? They over two different models, a urethane foam one and a std vinyl unit. The urethane foam one is $100 cheaper, but I am not sure how close it would be to the original. My car needs a black pad, so I am not concenred with dying. I am very concerned with quality, and that the pad looks and fits like the original.

http://www.dearbornclassics.com/dash-pad-black-foam-molded-ranchero-torino-1972-1979.html

http://www.dearbornclassics.com/dash-pad-black-vinyl-wrapped-ranchero-torino-1972-1979.html?crosssell=Product_Viewed

Of course used ones show up on eBay every now and then, but there is always the chance of it being damaged in shipping, or it cracking due to age. I actually had an okay used one, but it got damaged accidentally, and is now worse than my original so it's no longer usable.

Then there is restoration, which is probably the best for quality, but I imagine the price is by far the highest. This is more of an issue for me since I am in Canada and shipping is way more to the USA. Is there anyone other than Just Dashes who does resorations?

Any advice on dash pad experiences is appreciated.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 07-January-2013 at 10:41AM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2013 at 10:42AM
My car has been outside all its life, and somehow the dash pad did not crack. I am thinking about getting a new one anyway though.

Edited by GTW - 07-January-2013 at 10:43AM
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2013 at 11:04AM
Vince, I have a brand new dash pad cap still in the bag.
I got if from Dennis when I picked up my parts.
I have seen 2 of these on Torino's at Carlisle and if the owner had not told me I never would have known.
This one is black.
If you want it let me know and I'll get it to you next I'm up that way.
Give me a shout or text.
Ian Glyn-Jones
Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
Forum; http://mmgt.forumchitchat.com/
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2013 at 10:43AM
Has anyone on hear used a repro pad??

This guy has used ones for $300, but I am not sure if he'd ship to Canada. Anyone get parts from him?

http://www.blueoval6079.com/7279torino.html

Edited by 72FordGTS - 08-January-2013 at 10:44AM
Vince

GTS.org Admin
foote500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foote500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2013 at 10:46AM
500.00$ for restoration. Thats the quote I got.
Marc
German Shepherd Rescue
1967 Ford Fairlane 500, 390

stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2013 at 1:40PM
If it were me, I'd get that cover from Ian. If installed on your near perfect pad, it should fit fine.
TomiTomi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomiTomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2013 at 1:06AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

This guy has used ones for $300, but I am not sure if he'd ship to Canada. Anyone get parts from him?

Blueoval6079 sent me parts to Hungary as well. But I ordered smaller parts...
Tomi
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2013 at 6:12AM
Thanks guys for the info. I may just take Ian up on that cover for now. It'd be nice to come across a nice original, but I am thinking that the Dearborn ones are a little too pricey right now.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2013 at 1:37PM
I sell beautifully restored pads for $250. Good show quality.
Jim

occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2013 at 12:22AM
Originally posted by 73GTS 73GTS wrote:

Maybe I should send you my blue and green ones and have you send back a nice blue one. I don't even need show quality I just need a severe lack of canyons and moon surfaces. The blue one looks like hell. The green one has some tiny cracks and is the wrong color. I was going to simply Armor All this one to death then dry it out good and use the Dearborn blue paint over it, a light coat, then a medium coat, then wipe clean, then a third light coat if needed. Figure I'll need at least one or two more cans. And I want to do another package shelf since mine is now warped from being installed wrong and wedged in there too long. And I better change the back glass seal before I do that.
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
foote500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foote500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2013 at 12:58AM
Originally posted by occupant occupant wrote:

[QUOTE=73GTS] I sell beautifully restored pads for $250. Good show quality.

What does you restoration consist of?
Marc
German Shepherd Rescue
1967 Ford Fairlane 500, 390

73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2013 at 1:42AM
I collect pads and a good friend of mine restores them for me. His pads are in many award winning show cars. Imperfections are repaired and re-grained then sprayed. If I don't need a specific color, I have them sprayed black. I have one really nice black one now. Should have atleast 4 more done this spring.
Jim

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2013 at 2:00AM
Originally posted by 73GTS 73GTS wrote:

Do you need a core, or do you sell already restored pads. I'd be interested in one at that price.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2013 at 3:25AM
I usually find pads, have them restored and sell them. I can get yours restored, but it depends on how bad it is and then shipping to and from, etc. That's why I just sell them. It keeps the cost down. I may take one that's restorable in trade plus cash, but you'd have to ship it.
Jim

iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2013 at 3:26AM
Yeah, I have 2 decent cores and should send one down to you.
Ian Glyn-Jones
Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
Forum; http://mmgt.forumchitchat.com/
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2013 at 4:03AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

I have bought quite a few parts from him. While he can be a little on the "high" side for price the qualitiy of his parts are always very good to excellent. I have bought steering wheels/fenders/kickpanels and seatbelts from him and all the stuff was very nice ready to use.
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2013 at 4:09AM
My dash pad wasn't cracked when I took it out during the disassembly, but somehow when it was time to clean and dye it, a crack surfaced right smack dab in the middle of teh dash pad. I decided to repair it using POR-15 products.

I started out by cleaning it thoroughly with Marine Clean being careful not to get the underside wet. After it dried I chipped away a crevice where the crack was. I then filled the crevice in with POR-15 putty. (It's basically an all weather expoxy). After that dried over night I sanded it down flat and then did a second coat of expoxy to fill in some pin holes and scratches.

The next day I sanded it down again. Then I used Bondo spot putty for the fine scratches and pin holes. Then I sprayed it with plastic primer, "hammered" finish paint, then the Dearborn Blue to match everything else.

It has held up ok, but I lost the "Grain" in that area because the "hammered" finished really didnt match it all that well, but it's a good driver quality. My dash is very hard due to the Texas sun drying it up so in all honesty the "grain" had already been wore off on top.

$250 for a professionally repaired dash pad sounds very reasonable to me. Just my 2 cents.   
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
Mwalker201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mwalker201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2014 at 12:55PM
Do you still have dash pads? I need a black on that has been restored. Thanks
Mike
bdaugette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdaugette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2014 at 2:12AM
I would consider buying one also.  If you have them, could you post a pic or two?
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2014 at 5:29AM
I'm not sure if these comments are meant for me, but I will have some more dash pads later this spring. If interested pm me.
Thanks,
Jim

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2014 at 2:16PM
i got one from jim, it should arrive in the next few days, i can't wait! Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mwalker201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2014 at 4:34PM
Yes. I'm interested. When this spring will you have a black one available? Can you send me any pictures?
Thanks
Mike
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2014 at 1:06AM
Pm me to discuss.
Thanks
Jim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mwalker201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2014 at 4:06PM
Not sure how to PM you. Feel free to email me at mswalker@wyomingcat.com or text me at 307-251-3099.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2014 at 7:05PM
Originally posted by Mwalker201 Mwalker201 wrote:

Not sure how to PM you. Feel free to email me at mswalker@wyomingcat.com or text me at 307-251-3099.

just click on his screen name next to his post above, a drop down menu appears go down to send private message, click that and it should take you to a pm window, type in a subject, then type in your message in the big text area, then scroll down to the bottom and click send when you're done
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2014 at 12:19PM
i just got mine from jim today super well packed for shipping, excellent quality!!! thanks jimThumbs Up
here's a pic of it

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mwalker201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2014 at 2:50PM
Nice! Did you send him a core?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2014 at 2:53PM
no, just bought it out right. did you figure out the way to PM him?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mwalker201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2014 at 5:04PM
I think so. Haven't heard back from him yet.
RAPTOR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAPTOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2015 at 4:35AM
How many screws hold down the pad only  ? I see one on each end by the pillar bottom on L & R side door openings . Are there any under the Middle of the dash pad that hold it also ? I really never had to take my pad off . 
1972 Torino Sport 4Spd Q 351c
1996 Bronco XLT
2010 SVT Raptor
2003 H2 Hummer
1977 CB 750 Cafe Racer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>