The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What Rims and Wrong Seats?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGSally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Rims and Wrong Seats?
    Posted: 16-January-2013 at 3:34PM
Hey guys, long time no post. Quick update on my Torino : No, never fixed the transmission or steering column, never had the time or money yet. I blow a lot of money on Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, and with the holidays gone hours are cut at work (like, you know, 4.5 hours a week. Time to job hunt again)

Anyway, quick questions. One, any idea what rims these are? I love them to death, but all of them are missing the center cap and I want to find something that'll fit, and or at least somewhat match. I looked all over the rim and couldn't find any labeling of any kind.

Two, tell me these are the wrong seats. Please. I know I'm overweight and have a gut, sure. But the steering wheel digs into my gut, with the seat all the way back. And there is a ton of leg room in the backseat even still. Even my skin and bones roommate will sit in the driver seat and agree it is way to up close. My knees hit the friggin dashboard. Look, I've seen the Big Lebowski. If John Goodman can fit into a 1973 Torino, so can I! When I bought this car, the owner said that's how he got it. But the back seat isn't the same pattern as the front, so I think these seats came out of a different car. Plus I thought the front seats had lower head rests for the 73 year, right? Is there a difference in 2 door and 4 door seats? Thanks in advance for the help.
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2013 at 3:52PM
I don't think that seat is correct.
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2013 at 5:04PM
Agreed, I do not believe the seat is correct, either. I had a seat like that in a 73 I had for some years... But I bought that seat out of a parted out Ranchero, 77-79 in vintage. 

Nice seat (mine was anyway), but yes it is not correct.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
JGSally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGSally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2013 at 5:45PM
Well it's good to know it's the wrong seat. I'd hate to think I'm fatter than John Goodman (no offense to John Goodman). Anybody have any idea on those rims though? Or like a center cap I could put in as a substitute? Also, do 2 door seats fold down and 4 door seats don't? I'm just curious. I just want to make sure I get the RIGHT seats, you know?

Edited by JGSally - 16-January-2013 at 5:54PM
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2013 at 2:28AM
The back seat appears to be correct for a base model Torino. I copied that style in vinyl and tweed for my wagon. Good luck with your project!
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2013 at 2:32AM
those seats are just like my 79 ltd2.
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2013 at 3:58AM
doesnt matter, if its 70's mid sized for they all bolted in in the same place.  see if the previous owner didnt maybe drill new holes to mount the seat tracks to. 
Mike
Mark S. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2013 at 4:13AM
Yeah, seats look like LTD II seats. 2 door seats fold forward, 4 dr don't. And brother, I feel for ya, being kinda large myself. Other than finding the right front seats, you can elongate the seat track mounting holes and slide the seat back some, which I've done before. You can go to a tilt column. Or what I did was buy an aftermarket Sport steering wheel look-a-like that was a little smaller in diameter. Despite their bulk these cars were tight on the inside. On my LTD II 2 dr, with the stock front seat all the way back there is almost NO leg room in the back.
No idea on the rims, tho. Good luck, man!
Mark
1977 Ltd II "Eltee"
1984 Mustang ragtop
2004 Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition
71 Torino GT 429CJ (sold too many years ago to count...)
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2013 at 5:57AM
Check those seat tracks. Make sure there ain't a coke can or a kids' shoe blocking the way ;)
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2013 at 7:37AM
Cragar made wheels like that back in the 90's and early 2000's. Very heavy steel rims and they offered a couple of different centers for them (smooth, or with lug holes). Ebay or an older wheel store might still have a few lying around.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2013 at 7:44AM

This is the style wheel although this one is a 14 inch with a different width and offset.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
JGSally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGSally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2013 at 8:12AM
When I put the seats in, they felt like they were off by a couple milimeters, it was a tight fit to get them to bolt in. The guy before me just had the seats sitting in the car not bolted in.

Other than folding down, was there any size difference between 2 door and 4 door seats? They still had the same dimensions and sliding travel and both sat back the same distance from the wheel? I have a feeling I'm going to have to drill new mounting holes, because I like to have my legs almost straight when I drive

I had a feeling the rims could have been Cragar. That gives me hope and a foot in the door of my search.
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2013 at 8:18AM
I always thought the front bench seats on a 4dr door car were stationary meaning they did not fold forward and on the 2dr cars they did fold forward to allow for the back passengers easy access.

SPLIT:

Gran Torino Sport, Front Split Bench Seat Cover, 1973
Standard:

Ranchero, Torino, Front Bench Seat Cover, Standard, 1972-1973
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
JGSally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGSally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2013 at 10:45AM
I got a hold of a Cragar guy and a fox body owner who has them, and they both confirm they are in fact Cragar Protech wheels, and I can only find the center caps used somewhere on eBay. Well I'm glad I know what they are. I found some center caps and I'm just gonna have to buy em and hope they fit.

As for the seats, are there any cars that I can take seats from that will fit great or give extra room? A 72 or 74 Torino? Rancheros, maybe a Montego? Anybody have experience with that?
meangene View Drop Down
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meangene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2014 at 6:42PM
Hello, were you ever able to find the center caps for your Cragar Protech rims? Or a place to restore them? I have fourI need to restore and find caps for also. I am told these rims were also made by Centec & Superior, possibly under license from Cragar? I am considering having someone machine some aluminum replacements, as the plastics ones did not fare well in use. I bought my first set around 1984-85. Tha caps kept falling off on the road until I used silicone glue to keep them in place. I am thinking a couple set screws in an aluminum cap would do better.

Gene
Mean Gene
JGSally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGSally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2014 at 9:54AM
Unfortunately I fell on hard times and had to sell the Torino, I'm extremely upset over it. So now I wait till I have money and can buy another one... That car just felt right, damn it.

So to answer your question, sadly I never got around to finding matching caps for it. Hold on to those rims though, those rims are friggin wicked. That's one thing I miss about that car a lot... And the 351C.. and the headers.... and the 3" exhaust... and the belt line on the body... and the base grill...

:(
 Post Reply Post Reply