The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Body Bath/ or Sand Blast

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twood68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Body Bath/ or Sand Blast
    Posted: 17-January-2013 at 3:02AM
Has anyone done one of these?

Thinking about what approach I should take for the Torino body.

I know you can get rust prevention spray and spray your panels yourself but I'm questioning the inside of the frame, where i can't get to?

I have never cost any of this out.

BUT I need to figure out how I want to do this soon, so anyone got feedback?
Tony
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2013 at 3:37AM
there have been a couple of members here that have had their bodies dipped.  i remember "dspring107" from louisiana had his done but havent seen him post for a while... but i think he still gets on here...  might want to pm him..

i did a body off restoration (in progress) on my first 73.  i sandblasted the frame then painted with por-15.  you cant really sandblast the inside of your frame, but i did coat it with por-15 by buying a cheap garden sprayer and soaking the inside of it... 
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
twood68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twood68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2013 at 4:21AM
You sandblasted? If so what size air compressor you used to push the blaster?
Tony

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2013 at 4:35AM
i have a kobart 30 gallon compressor.  it is not rated for sandblasting.  so i married it up to my 5 gallon bostich compressor.  i just had to take my time and go slow.  worked out ok. 

when i move in the next year, and build a new shop, i will be getting at least a 50 gallon compressor so i can blast away without pauses, ha.
---------------------
malcolm
twood68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twood68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2013 at 5:08AM
Originally posted by legend onirot legend onirot wrote:

i have a kobart 30 gallon compressor.  it is not rated for sandblasting.  so i married it up to my 5 gallon bostich compressor.  i just had to take my time and go slow.  worked out ok. 

when i move in the next year, and build a new shop, i will be getting at least a 50 gallon compressor so i can blast away without pauses, ha.

when you painted inside you frame with Po-15, was there any prep on the inside at all? does this stuff just work that good?
Tony

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2013 at 5:45AM
its supposed to.  and i never even thought about the inside of the frame... several members queued me into it.  theres really not alot of prep work you can do to the inside of the frame unless you dip.
---------------------
malcolm
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2013 at 7:48AM
My 50 and 60 gallon compressors do well with sandblasting, air tools, and spraying. Never an issue, although they do tend to run a bit due to the volume of air my rolling hopper demands. Get a good gun and proper media. Sandbox sand will make your life miserable, and really do a number on the equipment. What about other types of less abrasive/less damaging media?
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2013 at 8:43AM
also, do not sandblast your sheet metal.  it will warp the metal. 

---------------------
malcolm
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2013 at 8:49AM

also, do not sandblast your sheet metal.  it will warp the metal. 

Really?

I have all of my front clip pieces off and I was planning to clean/por-15 them (not the outside of the hood/fenders of course).  I had assumed that sandblasting was the way to go.

What is a recommended method to clean those up?
Scott Eklund

Webmaster

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2013 at 10:00AM
thats what i was told by someone with many years of body working skills.  i tried it on a scrap piece of metal and it did warp it some.  made it wavy. i have read a little bit online about it and apparently its the heat generated from the sand.  it would be best to use a different media.  like soda or crushed walnut. 

anybody else have a comment on this?  i am a novice.  i just expended all my experience on this topic..

and i just sanded mine down.  used a wire wheel on the backside...

Edited by legend onirot - 17-January-2013 at 10:01AM
---------------------
malcolm
HOSSENPHEPHER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOSSENPHEPHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2013 at 10:14AM

its the heat

^^ That's everything I know about the subject.
Robert; Memphis(ish), TN
Future owner of a 1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport - "No name"

SininenIII View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SininenIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2013 at 10:22AM
I´ve heard good things about soda blasting. There are mobile soda blasting units that can be brought to your place, strip your car gently without harming any sheet metal, glass or trim, it even leaves the surface with something that protects it from immediately rusting.  That´s what I have heard and read from forums, have no personal experience. 
Aatu
73 Gran Torino Sport

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2013 at 11:57AM
Check with Local Ford Dealerships that have a large body shop.
They had to soda/media blast ALOT of cars in the 90s due to piss poor painting from the factory.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
twood68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twood68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2013 at 4:39AM
Being it's a unibody I'm concern on getting in there on the places i can't get to with prep work, I will look into the por-15 some more, if this stuff really is what it says then i should be able to just coat the inside with little prep and it will do the job, if not, then to me I should look into the bath dip option.
Tony

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2013 at 5:34AM
Sand blasting will warp sheetmetal. No doubt. Small areas of rust are ok.

Soda is more gentle and does a good job.

Dipping is the way to go for complete stripping and coating. Consider powdercoating for a durable base and protection. Car Craft completely coated their Camaro unibody project F Bomb after dipping, for corrosion control, durability, and a great base for seeing waves and needed bodywork.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2013 at 5:35AM
Please note that dipping will remove all Bondo and sealers (seam and otherwise).
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2013 at 6:25AM
you could just have the frame dipped.  problem solved
---------------------
malcolm
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2013 at 10:27AM
I am going with Rust Bullet.
Spoke with the company and the product goes directly on bare metal or some surface rust. No real prep needed except to pressure wash it clean. Paint, then done!

I had the same questions about cleaning the frame.
I haven't looked into dipping around here yet.
I have a quote for sandblasting and powder coating.
That requires a Mock Up build, then tear it down and send it to them. But again... they cannot get inside the frame with the sandblast so is the inside really properly prepped and FULLY powdercoated?

My prep is do all the metal work I need to do, spend a little time scraping any major crud, maybe hit some areas with a wire wheel. Then taking it on the trailer to the car wash, THOROUGHLY clean it on the outside and best I can inside. Then 2 options for me at that point...
1. Rust Bullet or other form of Rust Inhibitor type paint product ie...POR-15
2. Undercoating/Bedliner type of product might work too(inside and out), ie... Line-X. They spray these in and have wands that can get in the frame rails too. Problem with Undercoating is it will eventually "wear off" and Both Undercoat/Bedliner do not get hard, they remain pliable and for the most part unpaintable.

There are so many ways of doing things it really comes down to what your personal preference is.
Mine right now is Rust Bullet/PAINT... easier to prep, paint, use, color/top coat paint,and repair/touch up later when drilling holes, adding screws/mounting straps and other upgrades

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
twood68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twood68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2013 at 2:15PM
Yea I may head down the similar road there Regul8r.

Called today for a bath quote and it would be around $2500 dollars, that would kill my budget set up this year!

I still need to get some garage tools to help me restore this girl and I'd hate to kill my start off so early, may dampen my lust for it!

I have been reading a lot of articles on this rust spray and it just maybe in my options so I can keep going building her.
Tony
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2013 at 3:56PM
HOLY CRAP!!! $2500 for a bath dip!!

That ain't worth it IMHO.

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
twood68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twood68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2013 at 6:34PM
Yea it is a company by me in evansville called redi kleen, nice guy tho!

It would get cleaned first the pit in a solution and he uses electric current to pull off the rust? Something like that, he DOES NOT USE ACID.
Tony
 Post Reply Post Reply