The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1968-1969 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Project help needed, with pics! I'm stuck!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twood68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Project help needed, with pics! I'm stuck!
    Posted: 20-January-2013 at 8:37AM
Im at an idle on my trunk!

I have no cross book, I need to get one I guess cause I'm getting no where and I'm desperate for info!

Anyone know of a dealer that supplies sheet panel fitment for the 68 Torino fast back in the trunk area??

Here are some pics on what I'm asking for

This first pic is the rusted out panel that's behind the bumper and the tank nozzle goes thru

This is the pic of inside back quarter, totally gone, someone did a patch job but did a sucky job

This pic of the inside trunk area speaks for itself, need to replace some of ths and almost all of it where the tank goes

This last pic is mainly to point out the wheel hub, like to have a replacement here so could splice it in where needed. So I won't have to try and make one and I have no tools fr this.

I know who carreies the floor pans,rockers, quarters and the other stuff but they don't have trunk pans I can find?

Being the mustang seems to have every panel up for purchase I'm asking if anyone knows if this stuff could be used on the Torino, in the trunk area?

I know the Fairlane can be used as parts but again I can't find trunk panels for it on replacing a 68!

Im positive I can mock up some stuff but not positive on complicated bends.

I need to replace the under piece cowl and a fella said use mustang parts? So this is where I'm at, can I use mustang parts, or does anyone know of another ford model I could borrow from that has these panels for sale?

Please any good info help on this is greatly needed I'm stuck!

Tony
Mark S. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2013 at 12:17PM
Maybe a good Arizona or desert area salvage company can help you out. I'd try Desert Valley Auto Parts, or CTC Auto. See if they can cut you the sections you need.
Mark
1977 Ltd II "Eltee"
1984 Mustang ragtop
2004 Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition
71 Torino GT 429CJ (sold too many years ago to count...)
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2013 at 12:24PM
 Is the gas tank the trunk floor in these cars too?  
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
twood68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twood68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2013 at 1:45PM
Originally posted by lynchster lynchster wrote:

Is the gas tank the trunk floor in these cars too?  

Yea the tank is part of the floor, still have it.

As I mention the mustang (68 fastback I assume) could be borrowed here, I was told, but its money to throw at for a maybe?
Tony
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2013 at 3:49PM
look back in my old posts for the ford junkyard. I saved a few from the crusher many more to be saved.... They are crushing everything left this spring and closing. All Ford Junkyard 30's to 80's.
Johnny cash Special 74-75-76 freak. 77 XR7. 78 LTD II sport looks pretty but poop 302 in it.
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2013 at 5:55PM
Originally posted by twood68 twood68 wrote:

As I mention the mustang (68 fastback I assume) could be borrowed here, I was told, but its money to throw at for a maybe?

All you need are the measurements. If you don't know anyone with a Mustang perhaps a parts dealer could get you a measurement, or maybe a Mustang board could hook you up with the info. 

Edited by lynchster - 20-January-2013 at 5:55PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2013 at 4:15AM
Originally posted by lynchster lynchster wrote:

Originally posted by twood68 twood68 wrote:

All you need are the measurements. If you don't know anyone with a Mustang perhaps a parts dealer could get you a measurement, or maybe a Mustang board could hook you up with the info. 

Go to NPD website and check out the mustang parts you are interested in.  I have found them very helpful when they know I'm not restoring a Mustang,  but a Torino and looking for a compatable (or close to compatable) part.  I bet if you call and ask them to measure a specific part, they will. 

I was looking for some window cranks and went to the local NPD warehouse and the guy there brought a bunch of window cranks to help match up what I had in the Torino. 
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
twood68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twood68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2013 at 7:13AM
I'll be calling some of these guys then, again could always add to the piece if needed and cut away if to large.

I really will be worried about a inner wheel well for the back, so the mustang parts may come thru for that, all i need is the ends not the whole piece. I wouldn't even do that if it wasn't for the shape, can't do that myselfAngry
Tony
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2013 at 4:09AM
Wheel wells are the Achilles heel of Torino owners.

1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
whifty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whifty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2013 at 5:15AM
'66-71s are all basically the same, with virtually no replacement parts available. Mustangs are different but some of the pieces can be used but will have to be modified. That's what I had to do, and some parts I got from a couple of the guys on Woody's Fairlane site.
1931 Model A
1937 Tudor Slantback
1966 427 Fairlane
1972 429 Gran Torino Sport
1992 5.0 Mustang
2003 Mustang Mach I
2005 F-150
ASE Certified Master Technician
 Post Reply Post Reply