The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust System

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carguy47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust System
    Posted: 27-January-2013 at 6:34AM
OK, Torino gurus. My question today is about exhaust systems, especially the mufflers and the SOUND!
Any feedback on the Flowmaster 50 vs Magnaflow vs other?
What seems to be the muffler of choice for these cars?
Are you using scavenger or Tru-X crossovers. or just an H-pipe?
I am particularly interested in hearing from anyone with a 429.
Thx, B Smile
You have to build em to drive em!
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2013 at 9:19AM
I have Flowmaster 50's and I am not happy with them. Way too quiet and not great sound. Mind you, my engine is stock and I only have 2" duals with a cross over right now. After I do my engine I am probably going 2.5" duals with Magnaflows. They sound nicer (IMO) and IIRC flow better than Flowmasters. If I did get Flowmasters again, I'd look at the 40 series.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2013 at 12:51PM
Ask Allan (Madmax). He had a sweet BB Torino...and has one another one now.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
madmaxtorino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Zombie Killing Training Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2013 at 3:15PM
http://youtu.be/emYvKHNFGKM

This is 2.5 with x pipe highflow cats dynomax vt mufflers. no drone while cruizin good sound when valves open up.

Edited by madmaxtorino - 28-January-2013 at 9:29AM
Allan
Revelation 6:8
When there is no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2013 at 3:22PM
http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=vt

Other car has flowmaster 40 series. Too loud and drone is awful. I will be changing them.

Edited by madmaxtorino - 27-January-2013 at 3:29PM
Allan
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2013 at 6:30PM
Originally posted by madmaxtorino madmaxtorino wrote:

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=vt
Other car has flowmaster 40 series. Too loud and drone is awful. I will be changing them.

I've been toying with the idea of using narrow cylinder style mufflers or glass packs between the frame and the trunk floor extentions at the rear of the car. The thought being that maybe moving the mufflers farther back might help with droning.   
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
OleDutchD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OleDutchD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2013 at 6:42PM
FWIW.... Hooker AeroChambers. In my own case, w/ 425HP 351W, headers, 3" X-pipe and full 3" duals turning out behind the rear tires.... absolutely no drone whatsoever. Can hold a comfortable conversation in the car, not obnoxious outside until you stick your foot in its' ass... then it screams! ;-)

Your mileage may vary....

On a side note... we had to sell that '72 when we moved to Tennessee almost six years ago, but it looks as if we're buying it back in the spring! Can't wait......

Kevin
Just an analog guy stuck in a digital world!
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2013 at 1:09AM
FWIW, I really impressed with the sound of the Dynomax Ultraflo's I installed along with my 3" X-piped dual exhaust. It really has a nice rumble at idle, doesn't droan and is fairly docile @ 2500 cruise RPM but sounds wicked-good @ WOT. Just another option to Flowmasters and Magnaflows.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2013 at 1:59AM
Side note of info on a system...
The Thunderbird SuperCoupes I also run are BAD Droners if done wrong
The system that works well for them is this...
dual 2.5" down tubes with/without Cats to an X-Pipe muffler to dual 2.5" to the rear with any 3 of different single in/out mufflers under the trunk before it dumps out the rear.

Having not been under the Torino in a while... not sure a center X-pipe muffler is feasible but saying all that as an idea... duals with an "H" or "X" pipe to dual mufflers in stock location and another set of mufflers at the rear before dumps/tips would work well to keep drone down and make it an idling sleeper that would come alive when you drop the hammer!

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2013 at 2:41AM
I had a 3" system fabbed up with an X pipe. The mufflers tuck nicely up to the body and nothing is visible from the sides of the car.

It is a big block car with long tubes. The mufflers are the high flow Dynomax units if I'm not mistaken, it has been a long time since I speced them. But, I researched CFM flow of various mufflers and they were better than the other units. 

Now, I don't know how it sounds driving it since I haven't driven the car yet. I know it is loud at 2500 RPM though but I wanted women and children to flee when it got fired up.

Edited by Ron Earp - 28-January-2013 at 2:45AM
04 Ford Lightning
72 GTS BB Stroker & Toploader
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2013 at 2:56AM
Exhaust system opinions are like a-holes.. Everybody has one..

Smile

This is my old exhaust on my old car, that I sold because I felt it was wayyyyyy too loud for what I wanted. I'll post this vid since I know Mark won't, lol.

6126 headers, 3" X to 2.5" Borla XS to 2.5" tails and 3" tips.  

I hated it, he loves it. From a block away, if you get on it hard, you'd think there was an indy car on the next street (X's do that).
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2013 at 3:44AM
I always liked those style Cougars. 
04 Ford Lightning
72 GTS BB Stroker & Toploader
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
carguy47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carguy47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2013 at 12:26PM
Clap  Clap  I loved the sound bites. Real usable information. Thank you guys. It seems most of you are using 2.5" exhaust. Not sure if 3" is needed for under 450 HP. Going with 2.5", X-pipe and highly probable Dynomat VTs. Thanks again.

On a side note, MadMax I love the wheel combo. What wheels, tire combo and backspace did you put on the GTS?
You have to build em to drive em!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2013 at 1:07PM
Ford FR500 wheels 17x10.5 rear 315/35/17 rear 17x9 275/40/17 front

Edited by madmaxtorino - 28-January-2013 at 1:18PM
Allan
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2013 at 1:39PM
That car was just mean. Sinister black and full of attitude.

Paul, I love the sound of that Borla system. Would really like something on the 429 wagon that gives that crisp sound. It is big, brown, ugly, and has 4 Prius's worth of steel in it, so it might as well be loud.

One of my Torinos has long tube headers, 2.5 inch aluminized pipe, series 40 Flows and 4 inch rear extentions. Great sound, but too large a diameter rear pipes for my liking. My 4 speed CJ has Flows, 2.5 inch pipes, CJ manifolds and 3 inch extentions. Good sound, pretty civilized, not too loud. Good choice if you want a low rumble until the 4 barrels open.

Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2013 at 3:29PM

http://youtu.be/emYvKHNFGKM

This is 2.5 with x pipe highflow cats dynomax vt mufflers. no drone while cruizin good sound when valves open up.

Did you say you had cats on your car too??
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2013 at 3:36PM
yes I did.

Allan
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2013 at 10:57PM
1. FlowMaster mufflers 2 1/2" 40 series # 42541
2. Factory exhaust manifolds

Edited by TV 2M8O - 28-January-2013 at 11:09PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
Hey Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2013 at 11:00AM
Originally posted by carguy47 carguy47 wrote:

Clap  Clap  I loved the sound bites. Real usable information. Thank you guys. It seems most of you are using 2.5" exhaust. Not sure if 3" is needed for under 450 HP. Going with 2.5", X-pipe and highly probable Dynomat VTs. Thanks again.

On a side note, MadMax I love the wheel combo. What wheels, tire combo and backspace did you put on the GTS?

The dynomax VT's have lots of complaints so I'd advise doing a search before going with those.  

I too am looking to finally get my exhaust completed and I am still struggling on what will give best results without being miserably loud.  I've received good suggestions from people on here before I just haven't pulled the trigger yet.  Since my 460 will eventually be upgraded to a large stroker I'm going to go with a 3" x-pipe system and probably dynomax ultra flo or the hooker aero chamber.
My '72 restomod My Link
Hey Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2013 at 11:02AM
Originally posted by Ron Earp Ron Earp wrote:

I had a 3" system fabbed up with an X pipe. The mufflers tuck nicely up to the body and nothing is visible from the sides of the car.

It is a big block car with long tubes. The mufflers are the high flow Dynomax units if I'm not mistaken, it has been a long time since I speced them. But, I researched CFM flow of various mufflers and they were better than the other units. 

Now, I don't know how it sounds driving it since I haven't driven the car yet. I know it is loud at 2500 RPM though but I wanted women and children to flee when it got fired up.

That looks awesome!
My '72 restomod My Link
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2013 at 2:20PM
Originally posted by Hey Z Hey Z wrote:

The dynomax VT's have lots of complaints so I'd advise doing a search before going with those.  

I had them on my Gran Torino, My 2012 Mustang 5.0, and My 2001 Expedition. No problems and I love how the are quiet until you want them to sound off. Most of the problems were valves that rattled in the first runs but the problems have been fixed.
Allan
mule323 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mule323 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2013 at 2:51PM
I'm running long tube headers with 2-1/2" pipes with an x-pipe and borla mufflers. Loud but not obnoxious. No real drone to speak of (but I did go overboard on the sound deadener). Sounds mean when you stand on it.

(Steve)
73 G.T.S. Fastback, 351C, C6
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2013 at 4:19AM

yes I did.

I am curious, why are you running cats? I have thought about putting them on before to help reduce the exhaust fumes from my car. After I back my car into the garage, the fumes are strong enought to make my clothes stink for the rest of the night.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2013 at 6:57AM
I too, am putting cats on my Cougar.. mostly to quiet the thing down... partially for stink.

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2013 at 7:47AM
This is my current exhaust system.  3" pipe of the header, x-pipe, 3" Flowpacks (not glasspacks) Warlock mufflers, and side exit before the tire.

Here's a couple of videos.  The helmet cam inside the car is with the plugs installed.  Fairly mellow, no drone.  Typical of a turbo style muffler.  The grandstand video is with the plugs pulled.

papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2013 at 9:16AM
Originally posted by Carl Carl wrote:

This is my current exhaust system.  3" pipe of the header, x-pipe, 3" Flowpacks (not glasspacks) Warlock mufflers, and side exit before the tire.

Here's a couple of videos.  The helmet cam inside the car is with the plugs installed.  Fairly mellow, no drone.  Typical of a turbo style muffler.  The grandstand video is with the plugs pulled.

Hey Carl, what is a flow pack? I'm digging this set-up! I want to have a pipe on each side as well before the wheel. Please tell me all the parts for this. Thank you!
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2013 at 9:31AM
Originally posted by papadeath papadeath wrote:

Hey Carl, what is a flow pack? I'm digging this set-up! I want to have a pipe on each side as well before the wheel. Please tell me all the parts for this. Thank you!

A Flowpack is like a glasspack, but the inside is smooth with a bunch of holes instead of louvers.

I made the exhaust tips out or 3" tubing by flattening/ovalizing them.

Edited by Carl - 30-January-2013 at 9:31AM
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2013 at 12:24PM
Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

I too, am putting cats on my Cougar.. mostly to quiet the thing down... partially for stink.

x2
Allan
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2013 at 2:07PM
Originally posted by Carl Carl wrote:

Nicely implemented Carl. I'm stealing that side exit idea you got going on there of course going to put my own twist on it though. Clap

Edited by Billy C - 30-January-2013 at 2:07PM
-Billy Conturo
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2013 at 2:29PM
It would look great if it could be integrated in the lower quarter panel like the 72 in fast and furious

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>