The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1968-1969 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Column to Floor Shifter Conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
americanomuerto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote americanomuerto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Column to Floor Shifter Conversion
    Posted: 08-February-2013 at 8:46AM
Hurst makes some wonderful looking aftermarket shifters. But what if I wanted to borrow them from another vehicle? Say a 1969 Ford Mustang? 
Thanks,
   Jason
twood68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote twood68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2013 at 1:12PM
Sorry no pics of that, which that was over 20 years ago.

The Hurst floor shifter was the easiest to do, I mean you've got a boot that covers up your splice in job.

The colum was much harder cause I remember I had to take my time, first I took the colum shifter off, then I covered up the dash and seats and took a grinder to flatten out the hole thats left over where the colum was, after some finer sand paper, got a can of black paint that matched as close as I thought and sprayed it.

Later that night my brother gave me his old tach he used on his Malibu, the next day I went to install it, well using the drill was not a option like I thought to drill holes in the colum to screw down the tach, and keeping it center too, after much pondering I grabbed some hose clamps and they was too small so I went and bought the biggest the store had and used it for the tach, it perfectly cover up the old colum hole and after painting the clamp it worked for me, a 16 year old at the time! Lol
Tony

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote americanomuerto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2013 at 4:33AM
Tony,

You have any pictures to show how that turned out? I would be interested to see.
Thanks,
   Jason
twood68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twood68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2013 at 4:22AM
Did this myself on a 70 torino gt back in 1988, bought a hurst floor, easy install. Removed the colum ground down the knob flat, sanded to smooth out, then installed a tach on colum with huge hose clamp. It did hide where the shifter use to be.

I repainted the hose clamp and colum,wasn't a perfect color match but it looked factory for the most part.
Tony

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote americanomuerto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2013 at 10:09AM
I have got opinions on the issue in the past and have been told the during this era, Ford had this problem, and although it can be fixed, it will rear its ugly head soon enough.

Thanks,
   Jason
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2013 at 3:02PM
Sounds like your shift collar and / or linkage are worn and / or out of adjustment. I think new collars and linkage bushings are available aftermarket if you choose to remain stock. However, if you choose floor shift, there's lots of options depending on your taste. I think they're all pretty simple to install. New correctly adjusted linkage and a tight shifter should fix the park problem unless it's an internal transmission problem. If you go with floor shift PLEASE remove the column shifter and change to a floor shift collar or modify the old collar so you can't tell it was column shift. I don't know if that bothers everyone but it's one of my pet peeves. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote americanomuerto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2013 at 11:11AM
First time posting, so let me know if I am not following guidelines.

I own a 1969 Ford Torino with a 302, 5.0 liter engine. It is an automatic. Currently the shifter is on the steering column and constantly falls out of park while idling. Not only is its location aesthetically unpleasing, but it is dangerous as well.

I am thinking about changing it to a floor shifter prior to restoring the interior. My questions are as follows:
What am I getting myself into?
What (other) model floor shifters can I use in place of the T shaped stock floor shifter?
Will this solve the falling out of park issue?

All input is appreciated.
Thanks,
   Jason
 Post Reply Post Reply