The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1968-1969 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

looking for gills? louvers?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AB68torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: looking for gills? louvers?
    Posted: 15-February-2013 at 4:36PM
We are in the process of restoring my dad's 68 torino fastback. He bought it new and special ordered it with a 289 instead of the standard 302. He moved to Canada in the fall of 68 and has been here ever since. He parked it in a friends barn in '82 or '83 and it was there till about a year ago when we pulled it out to start work on it.

We've got it gutted out and started to put it back together. We are missing one of the gills or fins or whatever they are called that are behind the windows on both sides. Any help would be appreciated!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Kind of a "barn find" only we knew all along where it was.
americanomuerto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote americanomuerto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2013 at 5:37AM
Have you tried classicautoparts.com? They will send you a model specific catalog for free of all kinds of obsolete parts. 
Thanks,
   Jason
twood68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twood68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2013 at 2:09AM
awesome stuff-harder and harder to have a history that solid behind a car!

Don't know of anyone that has one ya need, but I have a couple cataloges I'll look thru tonight.

question: is that the original head rest seat?
Tony
AB68torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AB68torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2013 at 4:56PM
Hey Tony it's not a '68 seat Dad literally wore out the original seat and put this one in. I believe it came out of a '69 montego. We have restored the seat without the headrests. He didn't know we started this project last spring so we used a car show in the early summer to 'reveal' his car to him - even tho it wasn't completed. All the hard work and money was worth it to see his face when he realized it was HIS car!

Any help on these 'gills' would be appreciated. Even if I knew what they were called it would help."
americanomuerto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote americanomuerto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2013 at 4:12AM
AB68torino,
   The part is called "Gill Moulding" there are a number of postings on eBay that are selling them for a 68 fastback. Make sure it has the pins so you can install it. I took a look in my catalog to no avail so I don't have a part number for you.
    Hope this helps.
Thanks,
   Jason
twood68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twood68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2013 at 2:03AM
Sorry no luck yet, I do have a Mac catalogue coming, I'll check thru that one once I get it, I'm restoring a 68 fastback as well so I'm in a similar boat as you, I have all the gills but a couple are missing a clip here and there. So it's something I've got to figure out what to do once I get to that point, lol I still have plenty to figure out before hand.
Tony
twood68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twood68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2013 at 2:17PM
here ya go, should help. I had to take 3 pics of the page, its all there in order, starting with the first pick.
Tony
GTS73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTS73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2013 at 3:09PM
I needed a entire set of these a while back for my '68 Fastback GT. Had to be patient as no one offers these aftermarket. Ended up paying $325 on ebay for a whole set with great chrome but bad paint. I ended up stripping the existing paint, taping and repainting the indentations, and they look pretty darn sharp. Having all pegs in tact is obviously desirable, but I've read at least one guy that attached them using 3M trim tape when most of the pegs were missing. Not sure how it turned out, but in the pics it didn't look terrible!

Edited by GTS73 - 26-February-2013 at 3:10PM
-Keith

`04 Wrangler Sport
`73 Gran Torino - sold :(
`68 Torino GT Fastback
jedclampit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jedclampit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2013 at 5:20AM
I have always heard of these referred to as "HASH MARKS".
I have never seen repro's for sale anywhere.
 A nice set will command a hefty price.

You may find some from this source.Brace yourself for what it may cost you!

http://www.papro.com/torino.htm

Cool

Edited by jedclampit - 14-May-2013 at 2:55AM
jedclampit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jedclampit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2013 at 2:54AM
I am in the process of doing a resto mod my 68 gt torino, I may put these
http://www.cobranda.com/19shupsiscrs.html
 on it.
 May be an option for you if your not after purely stock.

Edited by jedclampit - 14-May-2013 at 1:00PM
68hardtop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68hardtop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2013 at 11:23PM
hey I may have some its just finding them
I will look today if I get my dash back together smoothly
 Post Reply Post Reply