The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Photo Gallery
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Awesome 72 at front of Autorama

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Awesome 72 at front of Autorama
    Posted: 10-March-2013 at 1:27PM
Went to the Detroit Autorama today and right in front as you come in was this:

The car is a total frame of restoration and is absolutely gorgeous !!  I spoke for a while with the couple that own it.  They own a restoration and custom car shop and it shows.

The interior looked wonderful.  They mixed up their own color dye for the interior panels and the everything looks clean and well done.  Pretty much bone stock, but very well done.  Couple were great to talk to.  They picked the Torino because it is rare and you don't see many.  Nice find...

Great shot of a super clean undercarriage.

1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2013 at 2:01PM
VERY NICE, is that the same one that was posted in the World of Wheels thread with Tony's car too?
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
1zebra3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1zebra3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2013 at 3:02PM
  I'll take this one and its my second best favorite color yellow.
1zebra3                      76 S&H Torino
70 mustang MACH 1
73 MACH 1
79 F-350 (SOLD)DAMN
89 STANG LX COUPE
04 F-150
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2013 at 12:26AM
Yeah, Carl, think that is the one from the WoW thread.
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2013 at 1:21AM
Wow! Very nice job indeed.
To bad they are missing the wheel opening chrome.

I can only hope that mine comes out as nice.

Edited by iangj - 11-March-2013 at 1:34AM
Ian Glyn-Jones
Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
Forum; http://mmgt.forumchitchat.com/
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2013 at 2:37AM
Didn't notice the wheel well moldings but now that you mention it... YUP I agree laser cars need the molding.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2013 at 3:54AM
had to save all those pictures, might need one someday to figure out where something goes or how something should look
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2013 at 3:55AM
I am of the old school would like one with shaved door handles.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2013 at 4:51AM
Very nice car, would have loved to see it in person. Nice to see more 1972 Torino's showing up at car shows. 10 years ago this was unheard of.

I found more pics of that car:

Carriage House 1972 Torino
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2013 at 6:39AM
yeah, they did a nice job except for the missing wheel well moldings and the black in the engine compartment is WAY to glossy.  And they picked a 2v cleveland car?  I was actually disappointed when i looked at the engine and saw that. great color, nice interior but....
Mike
72BlackGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BlackGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2013 at 11:40AM
Very nice job for sure but.......if you go to the extreme of putting bias ply tires, a frame off complete resto, why not do the car back to original factory spec? The color, the vinyl top etc. 

The car is very nice and well done but I would think that all the money and time invested would be returned if the car matched what was factory original. The original driveline and every aspect of the car down to the final detail then find its not a factory color or trim level car. I was disappointed.

I am not a purist in any sense and believe every one can do with their car as they see fit but I think that car, with the detail that was put into the restoration would look just as sharp in the original and trim intact.
Ron
1978 LTD II Sport-Green
2003 HD Road King Classic 100th Anniversary
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2013 at 12:05PM
That made up my mind on our yellow one. It is factory yellow with the side mouldings and vinyl top, but will be a laser stripe car with no vinyl roof. That car is just a beautiful car and sealed the deal for me.

On a side note, I have a few sets of the laser wheel well trim that I was going to Ebay, but after seeing this car, I may keep them and use them on my projects. It really does make a HUGE difference.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Ranchero Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2013 at 12:47PM
I just sent them an e mail. They are a few mi. away from where I work & where I store my '79 Squire. I will definitely need some 1/4 panel modification on the used 1/4's that I have, & some trim restoration for the Squire pcs. I may just go with a faux wood in paint if I do it up as a resto rod. Here we go, dreaming again. Damn CABIN FEVER.
Brian   1973 Ford Ranchero Big Block. ''THE OTHER WOMAN''
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2013 at 1:58PM
Yeah, it's just an H-code, but I say anyone who will put the time and money into saving a largely underrated and forgotten car, gets props in my books. Ten years ago, there weren't too many people putting that much work into a 1972 Torino, especially a professional restoration shop.

I agree, that it's strange they didn't do everything back to original. Some of the colours for things were off, and the woodgrain dash doesn't belong in a Sport (it's also tacky IMO). I also agree that the lack of fender trim isn't great either. And the car is definitely "over restored", like the overly shiney engine compartment. But then again, the car turned out great, and it's their car to do as they please. I am just hoping as the interest in these cars increase, that maybe we'll get more support and a better parts network for out cars.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 11-March-2013 at 2:18PM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
millsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2013 at 11:59PM
Very nice, I had decided no laser stripe on my yellow 72 , now not sure.   
iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2013 at 2:04AM
I'm doing my car almost back to original with a couple of exceptions.
There is NO WAY I will put the vinyl roof back on it.
She will stay the original 2B Red. I have also reproduced all the assembly line markings and paint daubs. They didn't go that far on this GTS.
I have improved the suspension by installing the larger front sway bar and added the rear sway bar.
Finally I have all the components that would make it a Cyclone and I am making it a clone.
Cy-clone  ;-)

Edited by iangj - 12-March-2013 at 2:06AM
Ian Glyn-Jones
Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
Forum; http://mmgt.forumchitchat.com/
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2013 at 12:13PM

I saw that car at the world of wheels in Chicago. (yea I posted the pics of that one) Very nice ride lots of powder coating going on in that ride (explains the glossy). Still a very beautiful ride. I really liked the saddle brown interior.

Pam's Toy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pam's Toy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2013 at 7:27AM
Just now reading these comments.  We may have mentioned that the '72 Gran Torino is rare but the reason that we built this one was because I had one identical to it, brand new, "back in the day".   
New 72 Gran Torino Owner
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2013 at 10:41AM
Well, it's a beautiful ride and you have done a fine job in it's restoration. I hope you folks take it out and drive it as well as show it.  Take care Dan
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2013 at 11:16AM
Originally posted by Pam's Toy Pam's Toy wrote:

Just now reading these comments.  We may have mentioned that the '72 Gran Torino is rare but the reason that we built this one was because I had one identical to it, brand new, "back in the day".   
forgive me if this is a stupid question... but this car is yours' pam?
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
Pam's Toy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pam's Toy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2013 at 3:00AM
Not stupid and yes!
New 72 Gran Torino Owner
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2013 at 6:18AM

this is the same car from the welcome mat thread "a girlie newbie"...  the car you STARTED restoring in September of 2011...  if so, I bow to your greatness.  ive been working on mine for 3 1/2 years and im still not finished.
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
Pam's Toy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pam's Toy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2013 at 6:35AM
Well, obviously I cheated because we have a restoration shop, my goal was World of Wheels 2013 AND my guys are afraid of me.  It worked!
New 72 Gran Torino Owner
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2013 at 7:05AM
Beautiful car and great bunch of "scared" guys you got there! Wink
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
antlerfiend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2013 at 8:41AM
So this is the car that was supposed to be in Carlisle this year? Would have loved to see it in person. Do you think you could make Louisville next year.
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
 Post Reply Post Reply