The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to me 79 LTD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NwOh_Starsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to me 79 LTD
    Posted: 27-March-2013 at 9:22AM
So I know that I've not seen any other LTD on here quite like this one, I hope that this is the right place to post this.  I got this a few months ago, and finally got around to putting this up here.  Let me know what you think.

Here's the specs:
1979 Ford LTD
Originally a triple green car

75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2013 at 12:50PM
Brings back memories of back at my old ford dealership,The 78 460 LTD morphed into this LTD,The CT State Police used These cars,but with the 351.I can't remember if the 5.0 had the 2bbl or variable venturi with feedback like the 351 had.Enjoy it!
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
NwOh_Starsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NwOh_Starsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2013 at 2:38PM
This one came to me lightly modified with a Holley 4 barrel and a MSD ignition.  At a price of $1200 I couldn't not buy it.
fordnmerc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordnmerc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2013 at 3:46PM
Originally posted by 75GranMan 75GranMan wrote:

Brings back memories of back at my old ford dealership,The 78 460 LTD morphed into this LTD,The CT State Police used These cars,but with the 351.I can't remember if the 5.0 had the 2bbl or variable venturi with feedback like the 351 had.Enjoy it!

I know that in 1982 the 5.0 had the v v and it seriously sucked! That's the only complaint I had against our 82 LTD 2 door. We should have just replaced that, because otherwise it was a really
good car.
David

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NwOh_Starsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2013 at 2:22AM
Anyone got any ideas on what rear springs I would want to use to get a little rake and a decent ride?  The stance in the pics is all air shocks that are nearly shot.
Mark S. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2013 at 5:35AM
I always liked those cars...
Mark
1977 Ltd II "Eltee"
1984 Mustang ragtop
2004 Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition
71 Torino GT 429CJ (sold too many years ago to count...)
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2013 at 6:42AM
Originally posted by NwOh_Starsky NwOh_Starsky wrote:

Anyone got any ideas on what rear springs I would want to use to get a little rake and a decent ride?  The stance in the pics is all air shocks that are nearly shot.
Use the springs for the same car but the station wagon version (with a tow package). Then get a set of "air lift" airbags to inside the springs to adjust the rake if you want more. Or use a set of gabriel coil over shocks instead of the airbags (the choice is yours). But the springs with standard gas filled shocks with give you a decent ride and some rake (since they where meant for the heavier wagon).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NwOh_Starsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2013 at 3:43PM
Ordered and installed the CC819 springs.  It has a better stance I think.... I have to replace the two rear tires.  I had two friends sitting in the back and the rear quarters bit the tires hard. Cry  That was a $400 mistake...ouch!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NwOh_Starsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2013 at 3:41AM
Well here she is after new springs, and tires.

occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2013 at 5:32AM
Totally jealous here. Not only of the car and the wheels and the stance but also the Chipotle and Tom Hortons. We have a Qdoba here in WF but no Chipotle, and Tim Hortons is a distant memory...
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2013 at 9:57AM
Car looks great! Love the look.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NwOh_Starsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2013 at 8:27AM
Trying to adjust my carb, and idle.  Any one know what the timing setting should be? And idle for that matter.... Under hood sticker is long gone.....Ermm

Edited by NwOh_Starsky - 17-April-2013 at 8:28AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2013 at 9:53AM
Timing start @ 12 BTDC and and idle should be around 600-650 RPM. If it runs still a bit rough you should be able to run the timing up 18-20 BTDC. that will make it feel good and run smooth. the higher the timing (over 14 btdc) just test start the car HOT to make sure it still starts. The starter will labor a bit in the hot weather (sometimes) so just be aware. I run mine (460 cid) @ 22 BTDC and no issues.  
DaMiKo View Drop Down
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaMiKo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2019 at 3:02PM
long shot but do you still have this car? Me and my dad were the previous owners.
Gottmonkey View Drop Down
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gottmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2022 at 4:39PM
I'm pretty sure this is the same car I currently own... I bought it in 2013 from a car lot with a blown up motor
 Post Reply Post Reply