The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Freeze Plug Leak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Freeze Plug Leak
    Posted: 30-March-2013 at 3:11PM

I went out today since it finally warmed up, to get the garage in order so I can start to change out my intake and carb. Underneath the rear of the head on the driver side I saw a puddle on the floor. When I backed the car out it was antifreeze. I know the thing didn't freeze over the winter and the radiator is still full.  

I didn't get it up to look underneath, but based on where it's at, I'm afraid it's a freeze plug.  Motor was rebuilt by the best Ford guy in town and has less than 50 miles since the rebuild about 1 1/2 years ago.

I can't see it being anything else. I ran it for about 5 minuets a week ago.

If it is a leaky plug in the block, can it be replaced without pulling the motor? It isn't the end of the world since I am planning to change the intake anyway, but I'd prefer not to.

Any thoughts?

Randy

Edited by wideone - 30-March-2013 at 3:13PM
mugzilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mugzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2013 at 4:36PM
Brass freeze plugs are good. Galvy plugs suck.
You can call me Mike or you can call me Mug
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2013 at 12:59PM
If it's a freeze plug in the head on the back side,about the only temp fix is a rubber expandable type plug.If it's in the block one the side you can replace them without removing the engine.My guess is that it's not a freeze plug leaking unless it was installed in correctly?Rusting out a freeze plug in 1 1/2 years not likely unless you used water with high iron content?your gonna have to have to crawl under it to see the exact leaking point.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
wideone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2013 at 8:59AM

Best solution of all.

I could not find any traces of antifreeze after crawling over under and around the Torino.

This morning I noticed a neat little puddle under the front of my s10 in the drive way.  I forgot that I had pulled out the Torino long enough to put rear brakes on the truck. It dripped in the garage, right where the front end was. New radiator in the truck is easy fix.

Now I'll change out the intake and Holley.

75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2013 at 2:26PM
Nice,you were probably glad to find the rad leaking huh.You can speculate till the cows come home,untill you actually pinpoint the problem or even more so the cause.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2013 at 12:55AM
Landlord came over to yell at me a few weeks back after we sold my wife's Durango (which had an enormous power steering leak and was the primary reason for sale, it needed lines, pump, rack, everything and we thought we had spent enough money on that truck and got plenty of miles out of it by then). Seems when the Durango was parked there, he couldn't see the PS fluid leak stain nearly as well. With the Durango gone and my old beater Gran Torino in its place, and me working on it replacing the battery and starter, he suddenly thought that was the car making the big mess.

One, my car is dry underneath. No leaks from the rebuilt trans, the rebuilt engine, the power steering, cooling system, rear axle, the only way to make my car leak anything is to fill the gas tank more than 1/3 of the way up and it leaks out the filler neck gasket. Found that out the hard way two summers ago, and I've never put more than $30 in at a time since. The Durango made all the mess, there's a ton of leaves and junk stuck in the mess, and we'll be happy to wash it off after the trees stop dropping all their little presents (fuzzy worm shaped things that get all over the cowl and window rubbers and bumper fillers I hate them).

Landlord just wanted an excuse to fuss at me over the car I guess.
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
wideone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2013 at 4:25AM

I have been through so much with the Torino that I was just glad the problem was with something else.

Felt quite the fool when I figure it out, but it's all good now.

unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2013 at 6:30AM
A happy ending!
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
 Post Reply Post Reply