The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unidentified item on starter relay

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gazoo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unidentified item on starter relay
    Posted: 09-May-2013 at 6:17PM
There is a small stamped-tin-cased electrical device attached to the battery-cable-side lug of the starter relay on my 72. It has two screw lugs on the back. The wire leaving one of the lugs is a heavy, maybe #14 black wire with white or yellow stripe that leads into the main harness running to the firewall fuse box connectors. There is nothing attached to the second lug. What is this thing?

It sort of resembles an instrument cluster voltage regulator and is about the same general size, but I don't think that is right.
72 GranTorino "rat wagon" 351C, a work in progress

69 Mustang Mach 1, 351w, Borg Warner T5, rack & pinion steering, fuel injected
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2013 at 7:32PM
Do you have an aftermarket tachometer?
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2013 at 10:55PM
Any markings on the device? How about a picture??

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
fordnmerc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordnmerc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2013 at 7:02AM
I was immediately reminded of the emergency starters that were installed on cars built in Canada, such as at the Oakville assembly plant. Our 1974 Torino had one of those units.

Does it have what looks like a large orange button on it? I've seen some that were mounted upside down, so the button might not be easily visible if it's on the underside and not easy to get at.
David
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2013 at 6:27PM
rear defrost circuit breaker?
72 GT Ute

Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2013 at 8:54PM
Originally posted by Gazoo2 Gazoo2 wrote:

There is a small stamped-tin-cased electrical device attached to the battery-cable-side lug of the starter relay on my 72. It has two screw lugs on the back. The wire leaving one of the lugs is a heavy, maybe #14 black wire with white or yellow stripe that leads into the main harness running to the firewall fuse box connectors. There is nothing attached to the second lug. What is this thing?

It sort of resembles an instrument cluster voltage regulator and is about the same general size, but I don't think that is right.

It is a automatic reset circuit breaker old ford type.
Johnny cash Special 74-75-76 freak. 77 XR7. 78 LTD II sport looks pretty but poop 302 in it.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2013 at 2:14AM
I was thinking the same thing as Robb ... circuit breaker, but want to see a pic to be sure I was correct.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Gazoo2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gazoo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2013 at 4:21PM
Sorry, I had to be away for a couple days. I'm trying to attach a pic to this message.

GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2013 at 4:26PM
Originally posted by Gazoo2 Gazoo2 wrote:

Sorry, I had to be away for a couple days. I'm trying to attach a pic to this message.

This is a thread started by PSquare75 about some various ways to post photos. Please review and if you have any difficulties PM one of us for additional assistance.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2013 at 10:40PM
Is this the device you are questioning............

20A circuit breaker. In my case for rear window defroster.

Hope this clears up the mystery!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2013 at 7:00AM
In my case it was for the rear power window in the tail gate of my wagon. Hope this helps!
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
Gazoo2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gazoo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2013 at 5:11PM
Yes, thank you both - doing some research today I also determined it is a circuit breaker. I found a wiring diagram for a 73 that shows it supplies the power rear window on my wagon. Thanks for your help everyone!

Post Reply Post Reply