The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Factory Exhaust

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timewarp1934 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Factory Exhaust
    Posted: 21-June-2013 at 4:30AM
HELP! I would like to restore my '71 Torino GT convertible back to factory exhaust. The guy before me put on a loud, leaky system that rattles all of the time. For me, it's not about the sound or performance. It's about stepping back into time. So, can anybody tell me what my car should have? It's a '71 with a 351 C and a 2v carb. Automatic trans and was sold new in Michigan. Thanks  
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2013 at 4:18PM
It could have had either a duel or single exhaust. A nice duel with a set of stock type mufflers would be a nice set up. The car would be quiet and the engine would still breathe well. I have a duel on my 79 ranchero 460 and you can barley hear the car running. Hope this helps enjoy your ride!   
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2013 at 3:47AM
These guys claim to have an exhaust for your car.  I've not dealt with them, but you may want to give them a shout. 

Also, most independent muffler shops can fab up something for you.  Not cheap, but doable.
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2013 at 12:42PM
If it a 351-2V, it would have had single exhaust from the factory. Any decent exhaust shop should be able to scratch build a single exhaust system similar to factory for minimal costs. Duals can be quiet if you select a quiet muffler. It is more costly, but performance and mileage will be slightly better than a single exhaust system.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
antlerfiend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2013 at 2:05PM
Quiet is overrated! Loud mufflers save lives. By the way I grew up near the blind school in Louisville. Sorry to hijack your thread.
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
 Post Reply Post Reply