The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Four Doors and Wagons
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buttercup arrived yesterday!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buttercup arrived yesterday!
    Posted: 21-August-2013 at 6:33AM
I purchased a '76 Mercury Montego MX Villager wagon from a guy in Cali.  He was the 2nd owner.  It arrived on the transport truck yesterday.  Below are a few pics that I took.  The interior is immaculate, as well as exterior chrome and trim.  The di-noc had more cracking than I had hoped/expected.  It WAS running like a dream.  I put about 75 miles on it yesterday, then it died on me last night.  Has a fuel or spark issue.  Hope to have time to look into it this weekend.

unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2013 at 6:51AM
Jeff, that is a beautiful wagon! Glad you finally got it there safe and sound.

I wonder if the ride from the truck could have shaken a wire loose or perhaps stirred up some tank/carb sediment? Check for spark and a clogged fuel filter.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2013 at 7:39AM
Thanks Joe.  First thing I was going to check is fuel filter, fuel issues, etc.  I was wondering the same thing.  It's strange how it worked great for at least 75 miles of uneventful driving.  The problem started off as intermittent.  It started skipping, sputtering, then it died on me.  The coil wire looked like it may not have been plugged in very well.  I played around with coil/spark plug wires, and it started right up.  Thought maybe it was the loose coil wire.  Then, it died again.  After about 5 minutes of tinkering, it started up again.  I got it about 4 miles from home, then it died for good.  Never could get it to start again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2013 at 9:21AM
Nothing worse than buying a car, heading out and it crapping out. I always get the "hands on hips, disapproving look, didn't you check it out and why did you buy it speech".
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2013 at 9:29AM
Nice buy! 
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2013 at 10:50AM
Great looking ride. Keep in the back of your mind "sticking float" after you have checked into some of the other things. Old carb+ sitting long time= crapping out when starting to use again. Take care Keep the photos coming. Dan  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2013 at 1:44PM
Thanks guys.  I just tried to start it for the first after getting it back home last night.  Started right up.  Kinda wish it hadn't, so I could try to figure out the problem.  I hate these kind of intermittent issues.
wideone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2013 at 3:08PM
Just curious, did you add much gas when you got it? I had been driving mine off and on with about 5 gallons in it. Last week I put in 14 gallons and before I got home, I had the same problem. I think I got into the "dirt" area.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2013 at 3:55PM
Originally posted by wideone wideone wrote:

Just curious, did you add much gas when you got it? I had been driving mine off and on with about 5 gallons in it. Last week I put in 14 gallons and before I got home, I had the same problem. I think I got into the "dirt" area.

Actually, I did.  It had 1/4 tank when it arrived yesterday.  And I don't think the seller had been driving it much.  I had driven it most of the afternoon without issue.  Then filled up the tank.  About 20 miles after filling up the tank is when the problem started.
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2013 at 7:11AM
Could be something in the tank. My old dump truck use to do that.
fordnmerc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordnmerc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2013 at 8:35AM
Sounds like rather than starting and moving the car weekly like clockwork, the previous owner may have let it sit too long....old gas and sediment are definitely possibilities. If you get that issue resolved, I hope you don't encounter any other problems due to it having sat too much. Nice car! Thumbs Up
David

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2013 at 9:32AM
Clean the tank, replace the sock and carb filter, get a $20 fuel pump. Done and never a worry regarding that again.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2013 at 11:10AM
before you go digging in and tearing the tank out of it...
figure if it is spark or fuel.

COULD be a bad ignition module or coil that goes bad when it gets hot.

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2013 at 12:29AM
Opinions on putting Stabil or SeaFoam in the gas tank?  Could either possibly help, in this situation?  I've never tried either.  Co-workers mentioned it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2013 at 1:34AM
We use Seafoam in all our fuel injected cars. Works great to clean out injectors and the like. I am not sure how well it would work on a carb, but worth a try. It won't do much of anything for tank problems, but will help with the fuel lines a small bit.

Stabil is only to preserve and stabilize fresh gas and make old gas useable. Despite what they may claim, none will clean heavy deposits, rust or heavy varnish form any fuel related system.

By all means, confirm spark first, but if it dies and starts right back up, I doubt it is a heat related issue - since it would not have time to cool. Run it until it dies, then check for a strong spark. I went through this exact same issue with my '68 Cougar until I replaced my tank, fuel lines, sock, fuel pump and carb. Of course, mine had been sitting for several years and rust was inside everything, so I doubt your will be that bad. Open the fuel cap, take a good flashlight and peer down the filler neck - any rust on cap, neck, inside? Sludge? Check for old collapsed fuel lines. Kinked fuel lines. Weak pump, etc.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2013 at 1:56AM
You could be brave and when it stops undo the fuel line and see if its getting fuel.Of course have the wife pull the line you turn over the car much safer that way.Just kidding.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2013 at 11:02AM
Yesterday, I started the car and let it run for quite a long time.  Plenty long enough to get it to full operating temperature, and then some.  Drove it a few miles, and back.  No issues.  Kinda hard to troubleshoot, when it ain't failing.  Don't wanna take it for a long drive, then get stranded somewhere.  Guess I'll proceed with replacing the fuel filter and pump.  Any ideas where to get the sock?  Normal parts stores don't seem to carry that.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2013 at 12:11PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2013 at 1:12PM
Thanks Dan!  Hoping to find something local, so I can do all the work this weekend. But that helps.  Didn't realize the "official" name of the part is a strainer.  So, I found it using strainer in my search on the parts store website.

Any idea what size I need (5/16 vs 3/8)?  Assuming there's no way to know, until I remove the sending unit?  My wagon has a 460, if that makes a difference.

Edited by n2fordwagons - 28-August-2013 at 1:18PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2013 at 1:19PM
You have the right name for it now Try looking it up at your local auto parts store on line and see if they can get one ASAP. Most of those places have a wearhouse close enough that if you order by 6PM they will have it the next day.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2013 at 1:20PM
LOL  Looks like you were typing, as I was.  Measure my fuel line to determine the correct size?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2013 at 1:28PM
yea I would If your car is a 351W or larger or a tow package most likely will be 3/8. But don't hold me to that! Wink
twintornados View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2013 at 5:15PM
Sweet looking wagon....love the magnums on it....
Sold the Elite so now the hunt is on for my next "toy"...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2013 at 6:38AM
That really is a great looking wagon. Are you going to keep the Magnums on it or install the Torque Thrusts? Do hope you stay with that yellow, as it really gives a classic look to it.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2013 at 8:35AM

Thanks guys.  I love the Magnums.  Definitely sticking with them.  The Torque Thrust wheels stayed with the LTD II.  The new owners liked them a lot.

And sticking with the original light yellow color.  Most of the existing paint is original, and in great shape. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2013 at 1:54PM
After discussing with my mechanic brother-in-law, I decided to replace the Electronic Ignition module first.  Since it's such a common problem, figured I would start there.  Much easier fix, and a fairly inexpensive part.  Plus the parts store had one in stock.  The previous owner had written a date from 2006 on the old module, so it's 7 years old.  Drove it to work Friday, and will continue to drive the heck out of it.  Crossing my fingers for an uneventful ride to Pigeon Forge in a couple of weeks, for the Rod Run.
 Post Reply Post Reply