The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starsky's 5 slot wheels & center caps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThunderOnTheRoad429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starsky's 5 slot wheels & center caps
    Posted: 06-September-2013 at 2:24AM
Hey guys, does anyone know what center cap is used in the first season show Savage Sunday? The best place to view the wheel is about 29 minutes into the show where Starsky gets his tires slashed in an ally.  I hope theres someone out there that has that same cap or knows where to find it. Thanks
Waylon & Buddy
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2013 at 6:32AM
Waylon & Buddy,

Sadly, the center cap logos used on the show were made up by the series art/prop director. Back in those days product placement wasn't what it is today so they were very careful not to show specific brand names if at all possible. As the series progresses you will see the center caps come and got throughout the episodes and even in a particular segment!! I have attached a few screen shots to show you what was used in SAVAGE SUNDAY.....

Looks like 3 red A's (AAA or ARA or ARR or something similar) preceeded and followed by red bars with a blue circular band with 4 white stars on top and 3 stars below. Hope these are helpful....

Edited by TV 2M8O - 22-September-2013 at 7:08AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
ThunderOnTheRoad429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThunderOnTheRoad429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2013 at 1:53PM
Very helpful.   To think they would go to the trouble of making their own center cap logo.  Could you go to Kill Huggy Bear and blow up the "They cut the brake lines" photo?  Before they leave the parking lot there is a good shot of the drivers side rear tire.  Maybe it will blow up a little clearer and show it better.  Thanks Chris
Waylon & Buddy
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2013 at 11:17AM

Chris,

I got the screen shots from KILL HUGGY BEAR and it's not much clearer that from SAVAGE. I remember another scene where Starsky takes cover behind the Torino during a shootout that shows the cap and it may have a clearer shot of the center cap. Pretty sure it was season 1 because the following seasons the caps came and went during an episode. If you come across the scene I remember, forward me the name of the episode and I'll see how clear it is. I may also need to use my plasma tv rather than my LED for the screenshots because it has a much cleaner picture.

Let me know if you find it....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThunderOnTheRoad429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2013 at 4:22PM
You're thinking of Pariah but I don't think you'll see the center cap. To show how much I appreciate your help, look up on your google map.  3740 motor ave, Los Angeles.  There will be a quiz so take your time. :)
Waylon & Buddy
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2013 at 10:58AM
Chris,

Here are the KILL HUGGY screen shots....

Hope these help and I'll head over to the google site after bit....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2013 at 12:33PM
Chris,

Yup, PARIAH was the episode and there was some"screen time" for the center caps again....

LOL, that's also the episode that Anitra Ford, one of Barker's Beauties from THE PRICE IS RIGHT, guest stared!

I also visited the google site..... ZUP????

Edited by TV 2M8O - 27-September-2013 at 12:34PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2013 at 3:58PM

Chris,

OK.... how about these??? I was drawing up a set of house plans so I thought I'd recreate what was used during season 1...

Need to tweak them a bit because they are supposed to say AAA ARA ARR RRR

Whatcha think???

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThunderOnTheRoad429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2013 at 4:58PM
You ..... what can I say.  Just for that, look up 3320 Woodcliff Rd.  Los Angeles.  zup, another one.  you may have to go to the end of the street but lets see if you can figure it out...:)   I must have too much time on my hands.
Waylon & Buddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThunderOnTheRoad429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2013 at 5:02PM
what do you run for center caps on yours?
Waylon & Buddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThunderOnTheRoad429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2013 at 1:29PM
Can you perfect that center a little? I think it needs a little more white. I was thinking if you can do such a great job, Why dont we try to get it exact and I'll send it in and get a couple of them made up.
Waylon & Buddy
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2013 at 4:21AM
OK, how about this one....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
GRAN1976TORINO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRAN1976TORINO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2013 at 6:49AM
Outstanding.....wow. nicely done

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThunderOnTheRoad429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2013 at 7:49AM
Very Nice.  I think the actual size should be 1 3/4"  do you want to try it to scale? I'll have to find the guy on ebay that makes them up.  I think he wants a pdf file or something.
Waylon & Buddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThunderOnTheRoad429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2013 at 7:52AM
What's your best guess on the letters?  B P R A ?????
Waylon & Buddy
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2013 at 9:06AM

I couldn't really tell, so I went with "RRR"... you know the sound a siren makes! LOL

I'll keep looking for a clearer view....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThunderOnTheRoad429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2013 at 1:16PM
Looks to me like the top of the letters nearest the 4 stars are flat or straight across.  Yes? no? also, does the red area need to be larger?  AND what kind of house plan are you working on?
Waylon & Buddy
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2013 at 6:04AM
Chris,

What do you think the three letters are? The first appears to be closed at the bottom, so I'll make it a B... and the last letter appears to be open on the bottom and the right leg appears to be straight, so BRA??? I'll give them a flat top, make it 1 3/4" OD and call it good.....

I'm customizing a set of house plans for a friend of my wife's.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThunderOnTheRoad429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2013 at 10:15AM
Let me know when you get to the master bedroom. I have a "perfect" plan drawn for that.  Not sure aboud bra....  I was thinks S&H or ASG for Aaron spelling goldberg  PMG paul michael Glaser   JUst kidding,  I like your RRR better.
Waylon & Buddy
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2013 at 2:39PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Zebra 3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2013 at 2:12PM
  Came across this....close resemblance
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_American_Racers
"I deeply admire the men who founded this country, and I think we ought to know more about them and how they lived and the force and courage they had.
Henry Ford. 1926
Brian Conn
'76 Torino
GRAN1976TORINO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRAN1976TORINO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2013 at 2:17PM
Very very close.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2013 at 5:22AM
I remember seeing that logo on the flanks of the AAR 'Cuda Plymouth offered one year as part of their Trans Am series promotion....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThunderOnTheRoad429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2013 at 4:10PM
I think you're on to something here...:)
Waylon & Buddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThunderOnTheRoad429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2013 at 3:58PM
The AAR on the cap comes to the top of the red bars on the side. So the white needs to be larger and the red also.  What do you think?
Waylon & Buddy
carguy47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carguy47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2013 at 5:12PM
I think you guys are correct it could be an AAR, however it almost looks like a

yyg

Also, it appears to me to be (3) stars not (4) and the white bars on top and below the red bars is wider. Almost have a keeper!

You have to build em to drive em!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThunderOnTheRoad429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2013 at 1:58PM
It's really nice to see you guys answering the call.  I thank you.  I just pulled my tranny and I'am going to install a 460 shortly. These center cap have always been in question but I think were getting close now.  When I find a blank center cap like the one on the show I'll measure the center and see what size we have to work with.  Thanks again
Waylon & Buddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThunderOnTheRoad429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2013 at 7:34AM
I just got off the phone w/ Kathy at Dan Gurney Racing in California.  She's going to look up Starsky & Hutch and see if the center cap we're talking about is one of Dan's.  She said that Dan's father designed the logo.  How cool is that?
Waylon & Buddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThunderOnTheRoad429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2013 at 7:38AM
car guy 47, can you flatten out the top of the letters?
Waylon & Buddy
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2013 at 12:17PM
I think if it is to match the AAR logo, the letters should form a SHIELD. Look at their design closely and you'll see it.... So it's straight across the top and the horizontal leg of the center "A" should dip at center and the legs before and after should follow the same angle.

I'll play with it more when I have some time.....

Edited by TV 2M8O - 08-October-2013 at 12:18PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>