The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 71 Torino restoration question. rusted under dash
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

71 Torino restoration question. rusted under dash

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmcksmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 71 Torino restoration question. rusted under dash
    Posted: 15-September-2013 at 5:18AM
My 71 4 door sedan 500 had a leak coming into the driver side floor. I was looking up under the dash, more specifically above the e-brake, and I noticed that there is a lot of rust up there. There is some kind of circular pan up there. The pan was completely rusted. I went to remove it, got one nut off and the rest of them just started ripping through the pan. I took it down and there is no way to salvage it. there is a circular metal band (about 2-3" tall around the perimeter also.

My question is, how would water get in there? I assume it's coming through the firewall or under the windshield (which i have to replace anyway.) I don't know what the pan is. I can make a new one if I need to?

Do i need to take it down to the firewall to fix this? I pulled the dash but i was really hoping that I did't have to get that far into it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please help my baby get back on the road!
71 Torino 500 4 door
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2013 at 6:14AM
You may have the dreaded "cowl rot" disease. You have my sympathy.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2013 at 6:32AM
sounds like you found the drivers side fresh air vent? and a lot of cowl rust
the water gets in through the air vent holes in the cowl or in the hood depending which your car has, and all the water that runs down the windshield too probably

to fix it you need to open the cowl, remove the top panel that you see from under the hood when you look at the top of the firewall. depending upon the method you choose to repair the rust damage you might be able to leave the dash in but since you have it out already... you won't have to worry about causing problems by not pulling it out. the bad news is that the fenders 99% need to come off for access to cut the spot welds and remove the top cowl panel, unless you try to cut a section out of it leaving the original spot welds and outer edges of the cowl panel attached to the car?

the circular metal band was a 'standoff pipe' that keeps water from entering the hole & coming into the car. here's my reconstruction of a standoff pipe for my fresh air intake on the passenger side, my 1972 doesn't have the drivers side vent. I used a collar from the vent & duct section of the home improvement store as a starting point for the new standoff pipe

here's a link to the rest of the gallery  http://www.supermotors.net/registry/10950/74222-2
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2013 at 6:36AM
another option is to completely seal the top side of the cowl so no water can get in

but you won't get any fresh air through the vents either. you'd have to disconnect(probably already done) the intake connections from the cowl & then you'd just be recirculating cabin air like it would on MAX A/C 
72 GT Ute

wmcksmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmcksmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2013 at 1:51PM
Awesome. I know it would be a quick fix *sarcasm* 

Rockatansky - Those pictures help out a lot to see what I'm dealing with. Is there somewhere that the water coming in through the cowl is routed out to? I'm sorry to ask such beginner questions... but this is my first project car and I'm trying to do all the work myself. It helps to have some insight.

Closing off the cowl might be the best solution for me. My friend did it with some plxi inserts on his 67 mustang. I just didn't like the look of it that much. 

Anyway, Thank you so much for the response. Looks like I have a big decision to make soon.
71 Torino 500 4 door

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2013 at 2:11PM
on my 72 there's a drain at each end tucked inside the fenders, and a drain in the middle over the top of the trans bell. they have rubber schnozzles on the drains from the factory that probably causes leaves & debris to clog them up, if they were wide open they might not clog?

it is a big project to take on, and that's what we're all here for... ask away Thumbs Up

BTW, I like the Moonshiner look your car has goin on
72 GT Ute

wmcksmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmcksmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2013 at 3:56PM
You're the second person to say that it looks like a moonshiners car. I'll let you know what I decide to do. Thanks again
71 Torino 500 4 door
 Post Reply Post Reply