The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel tank issue.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wifetrained Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel tank issue.
    Posted: 19-September-2013 at 7:12PM
I have recently purchased a 1971 Torino 500 and have the darndest problem involving the gas tank. I am unable to put any more than 11-12 galllons in it before the nozzle clicks off. I have had the tank interior inspected for obstructions, rust and so forth. Replaced the sending unit ( it was bad.) blew out the EEC vent lines so that there were no blockages. There isn't much to go wrong and I can't fathom what's causing the problem. Any idea's??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
mikeydv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeydv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2013 at 10:26AM
WTF!!! I have the same problem! On a good day I'll get 9-10 gals in it. Angry  I ran it empty, checked sending unit up and down, even replaced it just to be sure. Gauge sweeps all the way. I dont get it...
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2013 at 2:29PM
I have the same issue with my 74 ranchero. (also will spill out when it clicks off ). I have just learned to feed the tank slower and then I can get a good fill.
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2013 at 1:59PM
Don't hold me to it, but possibly the original tank was replaced with an aftermaket style that doesn't have the original internal vent to release the air that gets trapped in the top of the tank when filling. most often the vent pipe is spot welded inside the tank. The insides of my 74 and 75 torino's had this. If I remember correctly, there is a plastic accordian pipe that attached to the pipe and extended up the fuel filler neck. I remember reading that on  a 75 torino replacment tank the listing says "without internal vent". I realize that your car is a different year,but maybe this is your problem.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2013 at 3:37PM
X2

I am faced with this exact issue (possibly).

I am putting a new tank into the 75 as part of the engine upgrade. It is a "Spectra Premium" brand. Made in Canada and very good quality (comparable to factory). However it does miss that internal vent tube that is spot welded to the top inside by the fill hole. 

I suppose a person could spot weld one in (I had thought about it), since the tank is new. Getting the hardware in to spot weld would be challenging, but the vent tube and bracket are rather simple.

Anyway, I will report back on the fuel filling when the car is running. I am hoping I do not have a problem!
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
wifetrained View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wifetrained Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2013 at 3:20AM
Does the Spectra Premium tanks come with the EEC vent already installed? If so I would gladly put a new tank in if that fixed the problem.

Here's a pic of my new baby, a grannie car with only 48k on it.

legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2013 at 6:02AM
super nice!!
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2013 at 6:41AM
I am not personally familiar with the 70-71 tanks, however for my 74-76 tank, it had the opening in the top for EEC (evaporative emission controls) but I need to add my own grommet and vent valve (have new grommet and I am re-using vent valve). It does not, however, have the fill vent we have been discussing here.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
wifetrained View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wifetrained Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2013 at 4:42PM
My vent is on the bottom of the tank. It's been checked and is clear as is the line running up to the EEC. I would again ask if the Spectrum Premium fuel tanks come with the EEC vents installed. I'm not opposed to replacing the tank but would prefer everything being new rather than using parts off the old tank.
Amigog1 View Drop Down
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amigog1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2014 at 2:12PM
Need some help, have 71 Torino and need to know we're vent from gas tank runs to. Plz help !!!!!
Bobbyg
carguy47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carguy47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2014 at 8:56AM
I just bought a 70 GT and had the exact thing happen to me as well. WTF?
Must be a common problem. I am going to replace the tank and sender in hopes all will be well Evil Smile
You have to build em to drive em!
mikeydv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeydv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2015 at 6:23AM
I just purchased the spectre tank after having the 8-10 gallon issue. The tank seems to be good quality, it fit right in with no mods needed. Amazon was the best price. Ill post back soon, as my car isn't ready to drive yet and go to the gas station. I'm hopeful that this will take care of my issue. I checked the vents, they are clear.  If anyone has any questions about the new tank feel free to ask. Be patient for a response. Illl get to ya.
mikeydv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeydv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2015 at 3:26AM
IT WORKED!!! I put the new spectre tank in, ran to the gas station and it took 17 gallons! ( I dumped in a bit at home). Don't know what the problem was but it's fixed now!
 Post Reply Post Reply