The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Front Jacking points

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColinUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front Jacking points
    Posted: 21-September-2019 at 12:19AM
Getting mixed information about the best place to jack up the front of a 71 Torino. Just need to change the dust covers on the tie rod ends so don’t want to jack up on the control arms.

There are two crossmembers at the front as per my photo (points 1 and 2), can they both be jacked on and hold axle stands?

Feels like a dumb question but I want to be sure once and for all...
ColinUK

71 Torino 351C squeezing through the British countryside
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2019 at 3:22AM
Uh-Oh, a 50 yr old unibody Shocked

can you drive it up onto ramps?

similar construction / layout to other unibody Fords, Mustang / Cougar, Maverick / Comet

http://mmb.maverick.to/threads/jacking-points.19128/

72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2019 at 6:57AM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2019 at 12:22PM
Rock brings up a good point about ramps, especially if you have structural rust issues.  But sometimes ramps just won't work.
In that case, number 2 is your best bet, but maybe use a piece of wood between the jack and the cross member to keep it from getting damaged. Those cross members on the Unibody cars aren't as tough as a full frame car.

This guy talks about the jack points on these cars and shows them on his video:

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2019 at 6:18PM
or the best place is under the torque boxes
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
ColinUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColinUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2019 at 7:13PM
Thanks guys, that’s put my mind at ease. Having always owned cars with more visible frame rails (and less overall weight!) this was something I wanted to get right once and for all.

Luckily the underside is solid, just glad to have the question answered, this forum hasn’t failed me yet.

Thanks all.
ColinUK

pdxjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdxjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2020 at 8:39PM
So, my 72 is sitting on a flat on the left side. It's been sitting for years.I was hoping it would take air so I could move it after it's running. My bumper jack is missing the base and I am trying figure a way to jack it up so I can throw the spare. I watched the video but I'm still not clear how I can do this. Anyone have a suggestion? 
ColinUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColinUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2020 at 8:52PM
Can you dig it out enough to get a low profile jack under the torque box?
ColinUK

Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2020 at 10:37PM
72 is a different animal than the car referred to in the OP

72 is body on frame, 71 and earlier is unibody

and you don't want to use the bumper jack on a 72 unless it's an emergency,
it bends the bumper and damages the grill surround trim
72 GT Ute

72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2020 at 2:26AM
Ditto, get a floor jack and place it under the frame right there around the front wheel area. I'd give you my old one that I bought about 40 years ago, it was about $40 back then. See if you can find a cheap one such as what Harbor Freight would carry.

I think mine came from Auto Shack(how old are you if you remember them, and they were open all night for a while).
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
pdxjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdxjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2020 at 4:23AM
Ok. Forgot about that the car has a frame. Thanks!
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2020 at 8:51AM
Please never use a bumper jack. They are dangerous and they "jack" up your car. I have seen those fail twice. One time a 69 Plymouth fury wagon dropped on my dad when I was helping him on the side of the interstate.  Luckily no major injuries but very scary as the car came down on it's front rotor(or drum, I don't recall) while he was trying to grab a runaway lug nut from under the car. He arm was pinned for a bit while my mom and I were able to get the jack up again. Talk about a scared 12 yo, I had accidentally dropped that lugnut, if he had been really hurt, I don't think I could've forgiven myself.
"Sometimes I wonder if I'm actually UNinventing the wheel"
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2020 at 10:09AM
Ditto, those jacks are okay for nice level ground with a well set parking brake.

I have only changed a tire once since about 1989, the year before I began at the PO. I repair my flats on the road, I fix the tire and fill it with air, and drive on. That takes a decent small compressor and high quality tire repair kit. I've fixed about 100 tires with nails/screws/bolts/brushes in them, I'd guess.

I did use my long tire jack in my old 86 Crown Vic, to get me out of a ditch twice, once in the snow. It works very well located down in a ditch where the bumper(and tire) is extended over. Lift it up to get tires on the ground, and back out slowly. It's an adventure sometimes.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
pdxjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdxjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2020 at 2:24PM
I wouldn't have considered the bumper unless I was running out of options. I made it work. 
 Post Reply Post Reply