The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

full size oil pan for mid size chassis?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newmexguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: full size oil pan for mid size chassis?
    Posted: 12-November-2013 at 4:08PM
any experts here who might know if a Galaxie / LTD big block will fit without changing the oil pan? Engine/trans is from a 77 Landau LTD coupe, and am trying to get it to fit into a 74 Ranchero. Ordered stock mounts for a 73 Ranchero with 429 engine, figured they would be the same for 74 to 79 since the frame did not change, nor did the bosses on the side of the block. Part numbers should be the same as Anchor.   Have heard discussions of "stands" here, but don't really see need for them on the 72 to 79 chassis, were there "stands" that pushed the engine up higher??
slid this combination into the ranchero, without the front clip. there appears to be conflict with the engine crossmember and oil pan area.
have not "forced" it but am taking plenty of time as i am working on sand, and am busy with other activities, including work.   
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2013 at 4:32PM
As far as I know the oil pans should be the same. Ford Master Parts shows P/N C8SZ-6675-A as an oil pan assembly for all passenger cars that legally came with them (in other words I would not expect it to fit a Pinto). Only one pan shown.

Should fit just fine. 

The motor mounts. You might want to check out some of the discussion here on the forum. There was a recent thread about that very topic. Anchor (and other outfits) show an incorrect application of 460 motor mount. It is for earlier Lincoln, etc and does NOT fit mid-size 72-79. 

Used mounts are out there, as are the Crites mounts. So there are options, but no new factory style ones I am personally aware of.

Sounds like a great motor. Good find!

Anytime you are sticking a 429/460 into a 72-79 mid-size it is a shoehorn job.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
 Post Reply Post Reply