The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Manual Trans for a 460- possible?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CammyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Manual Trans for a 460- possible?
    Posted: 27-November-2013 at 1:58AM
Good morning and happy almost Thanksgiving to everyone!
I'd really like to put a manual in my C6 '73 Gran Torino BB, but my research has led me to believe that Ford did not make any 429/460's with a manual transmission in them at the time. I'm a bit of a newbie and some of the info out there says it's possible to mount a manual to a BB, but I haven't found anything specific enough. If this is possible, what trans could handle a mild big block with minimal adaptation? Can I throw a rebuilt toploader in there; has anyone successfully done this?
Cam
1973 Gran Torino Sport
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2013 at 3:11AM
I swapped my 79 F100 to stick, it's a 460 truck that had a C6. 

Parts used: 

Bellhousing 351M/400 OEM
L&L Products flywheel/clutch
TKO 500 transmission
All OEM linkages.

Wasn't cheap, but it works great as a daily. 

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
CammyB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CammyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2013 at 8:07AM
That's awesome, thanks for sharing your setup. I figured it had to be possible, just needed the how. Have a good thanksgiving!
Cam
1973 Gran Torino Sport
VorbottenO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VorbottenO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2013 at 8:15AM
Depending on HP and Torque, may want to go with TKO600.
The greatest challenge will be finding the pedal and z-bar assembly as Ford did not produce any for full frame cars after 1972.
You will find them for sale once in a while but expect to pay a premium.
Also keep in mind you will loose power brake option going to stick.
Eric
72GTS-Ncode (429-477ci)

Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2013 at 4:51PM
Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

L&L Products flywheel/clutch
anymore info about this?
size?
tooth ct?
type?
spline?

also curious about the input shaft length for the stock 400 bell housing.

Thanks in advance for any more info.

Originally posted by VorbottenO VorbottenO wrote:

Depending on HP and Torque, may want to go with TKO600.
The greatest challenge will be finding the pedal and z-bar assembly as Ford did not produce any for full frame cars after 1972.
You will find them for sale once in a while but expect to pay a premium.
I'm sure there is also an option for an internal hydraulic throw out bearing assembly that could work too if you have the time and are willing to figure out all the details. Still.. premium $

Originally posted by VorbottenO VorbottenO wrote:

Also keep in mind you will lose power brake option going to stick.
Assuming this is because of the real-estate on the firewall that the booster takes up???
-Billy Conturo
72sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2013 at 6:45PM
My factory 4 speed has Power brakes.  So does my 73 Ranchero 4 Speed
Tom
1972 Gran Torino Sport 4Spd
1974 Montego wagon "GT" with GT hood, correct buckets
seats, console, and floor shift
2013 Focus 5 speed- Daily driver
VorbottenO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VorbottenO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2013 at 7:27AM
Tom, you are correct...
I was thinking of a project that we did hydro clutch in and had to go manual for space.
Wonder if anyone has tried working with a truck hanger and pedals?

Eric
72GTS-Ncode (429-477ci)

CammyB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CammyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2013 at 9:00AM
Has anyone tried this with a toploader?
Cam
1973 Gran Torino Sport
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2013 at 8:48AM
#1. Use SN95 pedals, you won't 'lose power brakes', if you use the Mustang master/booster. 302Ford did this.

#2. Realistically, if you're running street tires, any amount of TQ is going to go up in tire smoke. 500/600, only difference is the gear ratios internally.

#3. I have no idea what the stock input shaft length is. I used a stock cast iron bell and got the 'short input shaft' conversion available for the TKO. Went together with zero issues.

#4. Not sure on the measurements at all of the L&L wheel. It's made to fit into the 351m/400 bell. a stock external balance flywheel will not fit in this bell. I think it has the same tooth count as a 351m/400. It's a 10 spline clutch.

See here. 

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Zebra 3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2013 at 9:09AM
  Here's a link to a big block/ top loader build from right here in the forums.....
http://forum.grantorinosport.org/1972-gran-torino-big-block-four-speed_topic4597_page1.html?KW=oil+cooler
"I deeply admire the men who founded this country, and I think we ought to know more about them and how they lived and the force and courage they had.
Henry Ford. 1926
Brian Conn
'76 Torino
CammyB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CammyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2013 at 9:11AM
That is awesome, I was sure there must've been a post about it! thank you sir.
Cam
1973 Gran Torino Sport
edwardjkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwardjkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2014 at 7:31AM
IN 1983 I CONVERTED MY GTS 351C 2V   A/T TO 429 CJ 4 SPEED USING MOSTLY ALL FORD PARTS. 

USED PEDALS FROM 72 302 3 SPEED CAR (BOUGHT NEW BRAKE PEDAL FROM FORD TO ALLOW FOR POWER BRAKE ( PIN FOR BOOSTER ROD IN DIFFERENT POSITION)

USED Z BAR FROM 72  TORINO 351 CJ (HAD TO SLOT HOLES IN SUPPORT BRACKET ON TRANS TO FIT 429 BELL HOUSING PATTERN.

USED 4 SPEED TOP LOADER FROM 70 429 CJ TORINO (BIG INPUT AND OUTPUT SHAFTS) ZOOM CLUTCH

HURST COMP PLUS SHIFTER

ENGINE MOUNTS FROM 1972 T-BIRD

OVER ALL A STRAIGHT FOWARD SWAP.

PS : STILL LOOKING TO GET THIS CAR BACK. LAST SEEN IN CHESTERTOWN MARYLAND. 

WHITE WITH LASER STRIPE,BLACK INTERIOR,COMP GAUGES,LAST SEEN WITH C-6 TRANS SWAPED IN FAVOR OF TOP LOADER. CALL ED KEY @ (301) 714-1813 OR edwardjkey@myactv.net 
white 72 gts
ViperGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ViperGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2014 at 11:13AM
My 460 is mounting with a Doug Nash 4+1
edwardjkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwardjkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2014 at 12:08PM
The 460 is the same block as a 429 so no problem there. i have not see a doug nash is a while, but I don't think it is any larger than a big input/output top loader. Only concern may be shifter location in tunnel ?
white 72 gts
 Post Reply Post Reply