The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ford alternator fit any ford motor??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grantorinosport351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford alternator fit any ford motor??
    Posted: 19-February-2014 at 11:10AM
Ok I found out that they make internally regulated 1 wire alternators for ford, but they don't have an application list? So is it like the same setup for all ford motors?
~Bryan
72 gts h-code (formal roof)
67falcon
04 f250 ''the great white''
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2014 at 11:18AM
Some 3.8/4.2 mount funny. they bolt in and don't pivot to tension the bolts. the bolts go the "wrong" way. (perpendicular to the armature, not parallel). It may be like that for all serpentine belt fords...
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Grantorinosport351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grantorinosport351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2014 at 11:25AM
Thanks, check this one out, do you think it would fit?
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Tuff-Stuff-Silver-Bullet-One-Wire-Alternator-100-AMP,9285.html
~Bryan
67falcon
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2014 at 11:47AM
If you can find an one wire 3G that fits a '93 or so Ford Taurus with 3.0, it mounts the same as a 1G externally regulated alternator that was originally installed in our rides. Here's a couple pics.

The '93 Taurus alternator is "clocked" correctly to ease installation. The alternator has a 6 rib pulley but you can replace it with a 1 groove pulley and possibly a small spacer to allow it to be used with a "V" belt. I actually use this Taurus application alternator in my Ranchero, works excellent.
This pic shows the 3G when I first installed it using a "V" belt, I have since modified my crank pulley to accept a 6 rib sheave to drive the 6 rib pulley I re-installed on the alternator to end belt slippage.

BTW, using this internally regulated alternator only requires two external wires/cables coming from your original harness. An alternator exciter wire(Light Green/red stripe) and a battery cable with inline fuse/fuse holder. Here is a wiring diagram for installing a 3g on an older model vehicle. The pic shows the Yellow wire being run the starter solenoid but it can be wired directly to the "Bat" terminal on the alternator, saving a little bit of wiring.

Sorry for the long post, just thought it might help. Todd
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2014 at 11:48AM
It looks like the bolts go the right way...BUT, people who spell tough "tuff"... I would probably look for one with a stock pulley and fan.
I used to have a GM alternator in my old marquis. swapped the serpentine pulley for a V-belt one and unplugged the merc's voltage regulator. worked fine. wasn't complicated to install

Edited by Big Bird - 19-February-2014 at 11:51AM
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2014 at 1:37AM
Another vote for 3G. Those '1 wire' deals are notorious for charging issues. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2014 at 3:06AM
I've used the 1 wire GM alternators for several years. No issues with them, but will start using the 3G unit shown here. Better looking unit and way more advanced.

Also, no more dim and blinking lights like these old cars have.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2014 at 6:13AM
Using a large case 130 amp 3G was a definite upgrade for me, smaller package, more amperage @ idle and more overall amperage as compared to a large case side terminal 1G alternator. Having no satellite voltage regulator allows removal of some of the inner-fender wiring(cleans it up a bit). Probably one of the best aspects of using a Ford 3G is that you can find fairly new rebuilt units at a U-pull-it yard for $20 or less all day long. Supposedly a "regular" 130 amp 3G alternator can put out 80 amps @ idle, 130 amps minimum @ full load with a maximum of 160 amps. If you do decide to use a large case 130amp 3G, you will ask yourself, "Why didn't I do this sooner"? There are "write-ups"/wiring diagrams all over the internet to aid installation. Good luck, Todd

Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2014 at 9:49AM
Great info. Explains why my F150 was having charging issues and had found a Light Green/red stripe wire near the firewall 4x4 solenoids was corroded at its connection, Once fixed it charged fine again.

Johnny cash Special 74-75-76 freak. 77 XR7. 78 LTD II sport looks pretty but poop 302 in it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grantorinosport351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2014 at 6:11PM
Awesome! So I could find one in pretty much any 90's Taurus?
~Bryan
67falcon
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2014 at 12:35AM
I look for a '93-'99 Ford Taurus with 3.0 OHV V6 (NOT DOHV), that application is the one I use. This 3G will have a large case, is 130 amp, is clocked correctly for ease of wiring(alternator wiring plugs point towards the top of the passenger fender when installed on my 466), and the pivot to adjustment bolt spacing will be 7".

The 3G applications used in 3.8 OHV Taurus's of the same era also use a large case, 130 amp alternator, BUT the bolt spacing between the pivot and adjustment bolts is 8.25", may help installation in some applications, just never used one.

This pic shows the differences in the 3G's large cases.

This pic shows the different clocking positions of a stock 3G alternator. The Taurus 3.0 OHV application uses the 8:00 position. The clocking position can be easily changed though.

There are differences in the voltage regulators, they are designated by the voltage regulator's case cover. The white VR's have LRC (load response control) which gives a slight delay from when the engine is started/running to when the alternator is actually charging(usually 1-3 seconds) and are considered a "standard" duty VR. The black or dark gray VRs provide charge voltage as soon as the engine is running and there is also a black/gray Heavy Duty version for severe applications, usually has an HD after the part number. All the VR's charge to 14.4-14.6 volts.

Standard duty VR w/LRC

VR without LRC

HD VR without LRC

Sorry for the long post and not just a Yes or No answer, figured the added info may help. Todd

ghosttrain2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghosttrain2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2014 at 2:09PM
I used a modified 3G on a 1965 Mustang, retaining the original front, and bolting it to the 3G backframe. The case bolt pattern was the same.
1977 LTD, 2 door
1972 N code Ranchero, Project
1972 Torino formal roof
1970 Torino 500, Project
1974 Cougar parts car

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grantorinosport351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2014 at 9:44PM
Thanks a lot guys! I know where a Taurus is that I'm going to go check out.
~Bryan
67falcon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grantorinosport351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2014 at 9:47PM
So I'm doing this conversion because I'm losing battery charge overnight, but if I unplug my regulator it doesn't lose charge, so after doing this, I shouldn't have that problem anymore. Right?
~Bryan
67falcon
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2014 at 4:27AM
I had this problem years ago with a 1G alternator with fender mounted voltage regulator, found the alternator diodes were leaking to ground internally, basically causing a dead short. I would say that if you change out the 1G alternator for the 3G, get rid of the voltage regulator and all of it's wiring (except the light green/red stripe wire), the problem would go away if the alternator was indeed the culprit. Hard to say without a bit of diagnosing though.
Try this: With the key off and no known electrical load "ON", try unhooking the positive cable from the battery and using a test light attach the clip end to the cable end then the probe end to the positive battery terminal. If the test light continuously glows brightly then you have a pretty good short to ground somewhere. To trace it down try removing the positive or "bat" wire/cable from the alternator to see if has the same leaking diode condition. If that doesn't work go, start removing the fusible links off the battery side of the starter solenoid or the accessory terminal bolt that is used when an ammeter is used, also can try removing each fuse in the fuseblock under the dash. When the light goes out or is really dim(radio memory) you have found the offending circuit. Good luck, Todd

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grantorinosport351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2014 at 9:23AM
Thanks a lot man. But I have tried the fuse thing, and it still didn't go out (the tester light). But I unplugged my regulator and it did go out. And what does the light green with a red stripe go to? IIRC it went to the gauge cluster or the key switch.
~Bryan
67falcon
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2014 at 9:36AM
Here, this diagram shows the wiring schematic of a 1G alternator/voltage regulator, whether with ammeter or warning light. It shows where the Light green/red stripe wire goes with each system.

Once the 1G alt. and the voltage regulator are removed, along with most of the VR's wiring, the LG/RS wire will be wired to the 3G as shown in the above 3G installation schematic a few posts back. Hope this helps. Todd

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2014 at 9:45AM
bryan, you've kinda answered your own question, you have an internal draw sucking the power back out through the alternator system.
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grantorinosport351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2014 at 9:57AM
Yeah, lol, my original question was if that alternator would fit. I was just double checking. Lol

But could one of you guys maybe look on eBay or something and find the alternator that I need? Much appreciated
~Bryan
67falcon
 Post Reply Post Reply