The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

air cleaner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: air cleaner
    Posted: 22-February-2014 at 6:09AM
73 grand torino sport 351 cj,is the factory air cleaner better on a 600cfm holley or open face?
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2014 at 6:56AM
if you are looking to keep it 100% factory stock looking then you would want to keep the factory air filter, i prefer open element filters,but that's my personal preference, as i don't own anything stock. but which ever you use check to make sure you have ample clearance between the filter lid and the float bowl vent tubes, or it may have fuel metering issues, so i have heard?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
73torino gt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2014 at 12:53PM
I was told the open face wasn't good for the finicky holley and should go back to factory.
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2014 at 1:00PM
why would the air cleaner matter?
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2014 at 7:16PM
like i said if the lid sits too close to the vent tube it can meter funny, i don't remember what holley recommends, i would say minimum 1/2" inch or more. the only other problem with an open/paper element would be if it got wet in the rain that would choke the carb and it wouldn't run right (been there Disapprove )
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2014 at 7:37PM
1/2" is what I've always heard, it's like having your finger on the end of a straw, the liquid doesn't move until you let atmosphere push it through the straw

I suppose I've noticed but just accept the difference between the way an engine runs with either type of air cleaner? the factory air can does more than just hold the element in place, mostly it virtually eliminates fire hazard

fouled plugs and a dual quad tunnel ram makes for nice fire balls
72 GT Ute

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2014 at 8:02PM
"fireballs" Shocked... sounds like speaking from experience? Ermm...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2014 at 8:29PM
Oh Yeah...

there's the culprit!

Edited by Rockatansky - 22-February-2014 at 8:30PM
72 GT Ute

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2014 at 8:50PM
the style on the right (low profile) those are junk! IMO
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Grantorinosport351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grantorinosport351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2014 at 9:04PM
I HAVE to have one of those for my falcon, either that or a scoop, but I'm prolly gunna put on a scoop anyway.
~Bryan
72 gts h-code (formal roof)
67falcon
04 f250 ''the great white''

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2014 at 9:07PM
on the single top? yeah a lot of guys don't like them at all

maybe cuz they burn like a foam sheet soaked in gas?

I've never run it, got it in a box with some other stuff... somewhere

for some reason there was no foam with it
72 GT Ute

BirdHunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BirdHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2014 at 8:49PM
Why are you using a 600 cfm on the 351cj? The stock 4300D flows around 735cfm. I would think you would be hurting performance and gas mileage (but who cares about gas mileage) I have always run either the 4300D (enhanced) 780 or even an 850cfm. The cj heads are starving for gas and timming. All 351cj's were detuned 4 degrees from the factory. So in my openion the stock cleaner want make any difference except to help feed colder air. With an open cleaner you pick up more heat off of those hot engines.
"Let the dog hunt. You hunt the dog".

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2014 at 11:38AM
gotta watch the specifics on how they tested to get the cfm ratings on various manufacturers carbs, they all used different settings on their test equipment so the number they came up with needs to be interpreted / adjusted to compare
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2014 at 9:00AM
So would a 800 cfm edlebrock be too much?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BirdHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2014 at 9:34AM
Not in my openion if you have the big valve cylinder heads with the large ports. The flow rates i gave out cam fron a note on a page in the original Ford parts book of 1972. You will lose some economy with the 800 that is why Ford used the spread bore carb with vacuum secondaries. All of the 73 CJ motors i have seen had the smaller valver and have a differend part number for the valves so i remember. I no longer have my original parts book. But i am looking for another now. Mine was taken in a break in for some reason. Don't know why they took those. I would also think about your present gearing, it might be to tall for a really large carb. But then it depends on what you are doing with the car. Remember the rule, More air, mlore fuel, more spark to low compression meand knock. Then you start detuning. It is your call. I guess what i am trying to say is  "it depends on what you are doing with the car".  Hope i hhavent confused you to much. Be glad to chat on phone if you think i can help.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2014 at 4:38AM
My father had the motor rebuilt and then it sat for 15years.He doesn't have the build sheet for it so I'm in the dark.just got it on the road again.I know he put an aluminum intake on it a stall torque converter,put a kit in the tranny.I just dont care for the holley carb at all.I'm not going to race it,but I want to melt rubber when necessary.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2014 at 4:45AM
It's also bored 30thousand and has a cam.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BirdHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2014 at 5:56AM

Sounds like your DAD was out to build a strong motor. A 750 or 800cfm would do just fine with premium fuel. I like to feel my motor still pulling or reaching for a little more as it hits red line and every engine is different depending on the builder and his technique so if you know someone who has one of either try it before making the large purchase. Which ever you use get a good tune on it. Also if you are going to use an open air cleaner use a large one as the smaller ones will restrict air flow on larger carbs. Post some pics when you get her up and running and let me know how she runs.

"More fuel needs more air, more spark, more exhaust = more power".  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2014 at 6:35AM
just found a link somewhere else regarding carb flow cfm's

Edited by Rockatansky - 04-March-2014 at 6:37AM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2014 at 9:43PM
Thanks for the info,so I should definitely get rid of the 600cfm holley I got now cause its starving for fuel.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2014 at 6:23AM
Originally posted by 73torino gt 73torino gt wrote:

73 grand torino sport 351 cj, is the factory air cleaner better on a 600cfm holley or open face?

Quote I was told the open face wasn't good for the finicky holley and should go back to factory.

Quote So would a 800 cfm edelbrock be too much?

Quote My father had the motor rebuilt and then it sat for 15 years. He doesn't have the build sheet for it so I'm in the dark. just got it on the road again. I know he put an aluminum intake on it a stall torque converter, put a kit in the tranny. I just don't care for the holley carb at all. I'm not going to race it, but I want to melt rubber when necessary.

Quote It's also bored 30 thousandths and has a cam.

Quote Thanks for the info, so I should definitely get rid of the 600cfm holley I got now cause its starving for fuel.

trying to refocus here, apparently you don't like Holley carbs for some reason? and I'm not quite sure how you came the conclusion (right or wrong) that you need a larger carb than the 600 Holley you have now?

air filter style is a personal choice, as long as the carb operation is not hindered by the filter it's a just a personal choice. the filter element needs to have enough capacity to filter at least as much air as the engine can use, not all do.

Holley's can be 'finicky' if they haven't been but need to be tuned to an application, but the same can be said for any make carb. altitude/atmospheric pressure, temperature, fuel blend/specific gravity and probably more factors can all be 'on the ragged edge' of tuning with an out-of-the-box carb. combine them all on any given day & you have finicky. not everybody has the knowledge much less desire to tear down a new carb & start redrilling restrictions, or plugging them & starting over if need be to correct the manufactured calibrations from the ragged edge to where the uncontrollable outside variations remain within tolerance... just not some guy's cup of tea & that's OK

the new design Holleys have all their adjustments threaded so the home tuner can ~easily~ make changes. easily being repeatedly tearing into the carb, re-assembling & adjusting it each time you make a change. still maybe not so easy, or fun?

Edelbrock... they tend to run 'lighter' than Holleys. they can run good, but never make as much power as a Holley, just the way it is. Edelbrocks are much more easily tuned if needed. conventional style Holley's have to come apart to change jets & power valves, about the only things you can change on them are the squirters & pump cams from the outside. Edelbrocks being completely different design you can change the jets(if you have to) with the carb still on the manifold without spilling fuel. the (if you have to) is because it's very unusual to have to. Eddy's use a spring, metering rod AND a jet, the metering rod are easily changed from the outside

is an Eddy 800 right or too much? I don't think we know enough about your combo to say

you don't know what cam is in it, that's a BIG point. how bout the rear gear? is the stall converter very noticeable in normal driving?

there's a lot more to being a tire fryer or not than the carb & air cleaner!

what is it about the driveability of the car that makes you think you need to change the carb?

Never forget Cousin Vinny's 1st rule of carb rebuilding

Edited by Rockatansky - 06-March-2014 at 6:25AM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2014 at 6:29AM
did you happen to catch the last post in that thread I linked up the way?

" You have to remember that fuel curve and calibration is almost always MUCH more important than airflow when it comes to a carburetor. About 10 years ago I was doing some dyno testing of a 7448 2101 Edelbrock intake 355 circle track engine and I had two carburetors. One carburetor ran better than the other one and I just assumed that it flowed more air until I put it on the bench and measured it where I found that it flowed LESS. I then took the block from the carburetor which ran better and put it on the body that flowed more air expecting big things. The combination ran right about in the middle between the two. I then shipped the better flowing body out to Bobby Oliver(Competition Carburetion) and when it came back it was better than either carburetor once it was calibrated correctly." ~ Dave McLain
72 GT Ute

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2014 at 11:38AM
To add fuel to the fire..

Open elements tend to make daily drivers rather miserable in below 40 degree F weather. Speaking from experience on three vehicles.
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2014 at 12:16PM
Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

To add fuel to the fire..

Open elements tend to make daily drivers rather miserable in below 40 degree F weather. Speaking from experience on three vehicles.

X2. I hated my open element air cleaner on my pickup. Loud and makes warm ups longer and more painful. A factory 460 style air cleaner was much nicer. Seattle has more poor weather days than nice days so that was a big factor for me.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2014 at 12:27PM
Very good info fellas,would getting it dyno machined help me figure out if I need a bigger carb?
 Post Reply Post Reply