Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Timing Chain Set

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timing Chain Set
    Posted: 28-February-2014 at 8:25AM
I am looking at replacing my factory timing chain on my car, 1972 S-Code 400. Any recommendations of what brands to use/avoid?Would a 1972 timing chain retard the cam timing?   

I am thinking of just a decent aftermarket double roller? This should get rid of the factory nylon teeth.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 28-February-2014 at 12:28PM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2014 at 9:31AM
the actual 'early' & 'late' parts are long gone off the shelves. what you're gonna get today can be anything, a copy of the early timing, a copy of the late timing or anything in between

the early crank sprocket is different from the late(retarded) crank sprocket, the number on the early factory sprocket is C8xxx something something

the number on the late crank sprocket will start with a Dxxx something something

for just a quick basic chain replacement I'd get a new stock chain & steel gear as you said, & use the original crank sprocket if it's the C8 part. some reading here will explain
http://grantorinosport.org/BubbaF250/parts/parts03.html

watch the thickness of the chain you buy, make sure it matches the crank sprocket

in double rollers, obviously if it's REAL CHEAP it's probably crap

look at how many quality levels Cloyes has & you can imagine what you'll be getting at each price point

Edited by Rockatansky - 28-February-2014 at 9:32AM
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2014 at 12:27PM
I should have specified, I am looking at doing a Timing chain Set. Bubba's site says 1972 should be straight up timing, so I should be good there.

I see Cloyes makes a factory replacement part C3005K. Maybe it be worth the extra cost to step it up to a double roller?

They also have the 91121, which looks okay? Any opinions or other recommendations?  I am just looking for something that will keep the timing accurate and not strech excessively.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 28-February-2014 at 12:33PM
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2014 at 12:36PM
Cloyes true roller timing chain set made in the USA. (about $80) Chain will not stretch out and you will be happy. Running them on both 460's i have (1 is 12 years old 40K the other 4yrs 10K) and no timing issues. I have used the cheap ones to have them stretch out in as little as 10K so be careful.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2014 at 8:14AM
Thanks Dan. I will probably get the Cloyes 91-121. It is a true roller and has a billet crank gear, iron cam gear.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=903989
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2014 at 8:24AM
while the gears are very important the chain is the thing that will stretch out causing the unwanted variable timing. That is why i like "ALL" the componets to be American made.
torino75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torino75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2014 at 3:13PM
Hi, i approve what dan said.
I bought a rollmaster double roller timing set with torrington bearing, which comes with a pre-stretched chain, which will prevent any further stretching. All usa made too. Oh yeah, the gears are all billet machined too. I think the timing set is not something to cheap out on. Find more about it at www.romacusa.com and no im not affiliated in any way, just passing the good info...

Syl
 Post Reply Post Reply