The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ford F150 Issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford F150 Issues
    Posted: 09-March-2014 at 1:31PM
Does anyone here have any experience with the 1999 - 2002 F150 5.4 4X4 trucks? Specifically, this is a 2001 model and is just like new.

Couple of issues:

1) I was unaware of the "spoken rule" of 5.4 ownership - NEVER wash the engine. Did it, now it misses like Christine before her rebuild. Dead miss, probably killed a COP (Coil on plug) or two. Online queries are mixed concerning the ability of cleaning out the water in the plug bores and the coil surviving. Any experience?

2) Neighbor bought the truck new, strict maintenance, records aplenty, has been a stellar truck. About 1.5 years ago, it started a weird vibration/sound when taking off on a hill or under strain. Feels driveline-related, not engine. Lasts for 2-3 seconds as the truck moves away from a stop, then all is fine. He was told the rear end was shot. It is a 4X4 Off Road package 4 door extended cab version. Not the Crew Cab, so no carrier bearing. Has no issues once underway, except an very faint roar. Has gotten no worse since, but is still present. Any experience with this symptom?

3) Oil pressure gauge works for 2 seconds then quits until the truck warms up a little or the outside temp is above 50. Truck holds excellent oil pressure, and this is a glitch, but it is such a nice vehicle, I want that annoyance remedied. Any idea?

You input is greatly appreciated. I am aware of the notorious ejecting - plug syndrome, and the weak transmissions. Always been terrified to chance owning one, but the deal was just too good to pass up and I knew the care it has received throughout it's life.

Thanks!
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2014 at 10:48PM
Only thing I know is my neighbor an avid ford man{has at least 7} and car dealer will not buy a ford truck from 98-04 .
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2014 at 4:16AM
I wonder if you have 'converter sudder' ?

the fix is friction modifier in the ATF

Lubeguard Green has kept the shudder away from me

as far as getting any water out of the plug wells, remove the COPS & blow them out with air. cylinder diagnosing is as easy as disconnecting 1 coil at a time, then the injectors. move the coil from a dead cylinder to another to determine if it's the coil or injector

yes you wash these engines at some risk
72 GT Ute

unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2014 at 6:01AM
Thanks guys. I've cleaned lots of engines with no issues, but this one scared me. I'll bite the bullet and pull the offending COP(s) and hope for the best. I also heard that putting dielectric grease around the seal and connectors on these COPS will avert future contamination.

As far as a shudder, that is what it feels like. Saw a tutorial on flushing these transmissions (very informative) so I'll do that and then try some Lubeguard. This combo is supposed to be one of the better years for durability in this generation.

I am on the lookout for a used 3rd member, just in case.

Yes, Bob, I had always shied away from this era F150 because of their inherent maladies, but this one was really too good to pass on and I needed a 4WD truck with 4 doors. It's not a bad looking truck for the money and the 5.4 seems decently strong. Not quite like my Titan, but will get out of it's own way.

Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2014 at 7:58AM
Hey Joe.  We've got a '99 with that same combo.  4x4 5.4 extended cab.  We bought it for my stepson, from one of those small dealerships, so we don't have much history on it.  We recently had a problem with it missing.  Code said it was cylinder 5.  I pulled the COP, and it had a little moisture, so I replaced it.  No problems since.  I can't offer anything on the other issues.  Fuel pump seems to be a common problem.  We started having problems with ours, where it wouldn't start intermittently.  You either have to drop the tank, or some people have lifted the bed off to get to it.  I don't have the time for that, so we took it to a shop to fix that issue.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2014 at 2:37PM
Hey Joe! Check the tailshaft bearing in the transmission. They wear and the driveshaft yoke gets a bit of "wiggle room" and lets the drive shaft shift a bit and gets the U-joints out of phase. It will grumble noticeably at low speed or from a stop, and will eventually clunk when stopping/starting or going in/out of park.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2014 at 3:55PM
Eventful afternoon. I got home right before dark and decided to start pulling the COPs off. First one was a bit loose, came off with no problem. 2nd one twisted after removing the screw (good, I thought) but came apart when I pulled on it. Looked like a coiled heating element. 3rd one did the same. #$%@&#%$^&% Dammit. Truck was blocking everything, so I shoved those two back together and reinstalled the 1st COP. Hoped for the best and started it to move it over. It ran perfectly. WTF? Took it around the block with zero missing.

Ok. So now I know it needs all 8 COPs and new plugs (since it would be a good time).

Next, I started off up my hill. Same grumbling/shudder/slight vibration until I get rolling. I stop on the hill and preload the converter with a little gas - takes right off. Try it again 2 more times after preloading the converter. Same results. Now I turn the truck around and try in reverse. Not an issue unless I push it to the point of spinning the tires. The shudder is worse in forward motion.

Could very well be in the transmission, but there is still that very quiet roar that you really have to concentrate to hear at low speeds. Preloading the converter takes up the transmission slack, but probably does so in the rear end as well. Still no closer to an educated guess until I get underneath.

Thank you guys for the suggestions. I am going to follow up on them all, as I really like this old truck, and it was a great deal...I hope.

Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2014 at 2:46AM
Shudder was the rear end. Added fluid and an additive and mucho better. Passed emissions and running fine now.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
 Post Reply Post Reply