The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Junkyard serpentine pulley setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72RogerGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Junkyard serpentine pulley setup
    Posted: 18-March-2014 at 6:25PM
Hi I was wondering if anyone here has a 351c with double serpentine pulleys from an 80s full size. I am currently, trying to fit the alternator pulley but it seems way off I think a spacer can fix it
However, I was wondering if there is a different way to do it. Thanks, Roger.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2014 at 7:27PM
can you throw up a pic?
72 GT Ute

72RogerGT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72RogerGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2014 at 5:59AM
I Can't post any pictures with my phone. I am wondering if anyone has switched to a 80s 5.0 serpentine pulley system. There are some pics in this thread http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mod-custom-forum/587548-serpentine-setup.html

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2014 at 6:11AM
I did a little looking, came up with the same info 73sport posted on C.net but the pics are gone from/or his host site gone

in the 1st pic of that thread I see an extra .140" ? spacer, is that all you need to make it line up?

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mod-custom-forum/587548-serpentine-setup.html

Edited by Rockatansky - 20-March-2014 at 6:01AM
72 GT Ute

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2014 at 9:37AM
Does the serpentine system make your water pump turn backward? I know it does on a 5.0. Water pumps care which way they turn, and the front case and water pump are different for a serpentine system on a small-block windsor engine.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2014 at 10:41AM
if Roger is doing what the pic in the link shows it's more a rib belt system than serpentine

I've always wondered if there's enough belt / pulley engagement on some of these
72 GT Ute

72RogerGT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72RogerGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2014 at 12:14AM
In the 80s full size 5.0 the water pump drives the same direction as the cleveland.   Yes it is not a serpentine setup basically other than switching to a 6 rib belt setup. I was wondering if anyone else had done it. I think the spacer needed has to be .3" in order for it to line up with the rest. I've read that this setups also works as an under drive system, I am not really worried since I'm switching to a 3G alternator and this will support the Lincoln mark fan upgrade. Any thoughts or tips on this would be helpful. Thanks.
72RogerGT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72RogerGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2014 at 5:26PM
Well ended up buying a 2.5" spacer from ace and adding a small washer and it lined up perfectly. Now I have to line up the power steering pump pulley and it'll be done. It looks so much better and hopefully it'll add some hp. I'll post pics later.

Roger.
 Post Reply Post Reply