Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Timing recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timing recommendations
    Posted: 21-March-2014 at 3:44PM
So I am getting ready to finally fire up the 521. Looking for some input on timing recommendations. It is not a wild cam or high compression or anything. Torque converter is close to stock stall speed. It is really built as a daily driver. I will post the cam specs below. Ignition is a Mallory Unilite and a blaster coil. 

Scott Eklund

Webmaster
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2014 at 5:19PM
scott, i'd try 8 or 10 degrees before tdc, and fine tune from there, obviously you want as much advance as you can without any pinging during hard acceleration, or any starter kick back. does your mallory have  a vacuum advance?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
bata747-8 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Honorary Spam Bot / Zombie Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bata747-8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2014 at 6:12PM
The Unilite is a vacuum advance model. Mechanical advance on the distributor has not been changed from Mallory stock config.
Forum Test Account

(formerly a spam bot account)
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2014 at 6:23PM
ok. what are you running for a carb?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2014 at 10:39PM
Scott,
I would try 12-14 degrees BTDC to begin with due to the aftermarket cam. I know my "small" 472 with iron DOVE heads running a Comp Cams 280 Magnum w/9.5-1 comp, it likes 17-18 initial and 34-36 total all in by 2500 rpm. Too low of initial will have the headers glowing pretty good and possibly getting an overheat condition while you are breaking everything in. Use a good oil during break in, something with a high zinc content, to help save the cam and lifters contact points from being "wiped out". Good luck. Todd   
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2014 at 12:56AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

ok. what are you running for a carb?
It is an Edelbrock, here is a picture of it.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2014 at 1:27AM
Mmmm......the smell and smoke of curing engine paint during break in. Looks good. What oil pan did you choose and how are the clearances with the engine crossmember?

GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2014 at 4:20AM
To answer questions:

600 CFM Edelbrock (yes, I know. It is a temporary until I put FI on. Had it sitting around, but not the $2k for FI yet).

Iron heads, compression is like 8.5:1

Fluids are: Valvoline VR-1 oil (with extra zinc in it), Mobil 1 synthetic trans fluid, Red Line synthetic power steering fluid, Prestone 50/50 coolant. 

Oil Pan technically is the Canton +1, but marketed under the Ford Motorsports label. Very nice pan. Only clearance problem was at the crossmember lips, which I had to hammer down with a splitting maul. My brother (previous owner) had taken it 4x4'ing during high school. That was a great many years ago.

Edited by GranTorinoSport - 22-March-2014 at 4:48AM
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2014 at 4:37AM
Some photos I took this morning:

Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2014 at 4:43AM
The coil is out right now. I could not get the coil wire to fit into the coil. Sounds strange, yes, the female plug will not stay on the contact tower because of the silicone/rubber boot. I actually have it clamped overnight and used quite a bit of heat on it last night.

In the meantime I have ordered the MSD Blaster with the male (HEI) style main contact. I went all HEI/male on the cap, not sure how I ended up with the coil still "old style". The Taylor cable kit is nice because it comes with three coil wires, one in male, two (of two different lengths) in female. 

All fluids are filled (except gas), timing set, battery charged. It's pretty much ready to go. I will be working on the fenders this weekend. There was some rust around the lip on the inside I wanted to take care of before placing them back on. The weather is actually nice this weekend, so it seems like a good time to do it.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2014 at 5:02AM
looks good Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2014 at 5:04AM
Nice progress Scott!  Looking good!
Mike
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2014 at 5:18AM
Once again, looks good. Where did you get the aftermarket A/C condenser from? I couldn't find an aftermarket piece that had the same exact fit and/or mounting locations, after a couple of failed attempts, I ended up sending one manufacturer (CCS) that sells on EBay my original condenser to build from.
I always enjoyed the first fire-up of a rebuilt/new engine where everything went as it should, especially when there were no leaks, strange noises, and where the coolant and the oil looked fairly clean afterward. Good luck and hope the fire-up goes well. Todd

Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2014 at 5:28AM
Thank you!

The condenser and evaporator came from that CCS outfit on eBay. Only ones making them anymore. Old Air Products stopped their production of them a few years back.

Items were fine. On the phone the guy said they are all made in house in California. Of course the boxes and pieces had "made in China" on them… Also he said they are all-aluminum. They appear to have an aluminum paint on them? 

But, since no others are available, these seem like acceptable units. They do fit as intended as a factory replacement. Being new, and as long as they hold up, it should be just fine. 

Scott Eklund

Webmaster
 Post Reply Post Reply