The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Six Cylinder Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HELP!! My car won't start!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fenderfan15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP!! My car won't start!
    Posted: 23-March-2014 at 3:55AM
I've got a 1970 Falcon with an inline 6 in it. Sometimes it will start great and run fantastic. After about 2 hours it dies and won't start again. I've put a brand new coil, distributor cap, and had the points and timing adjusted. Even put new auto-lite spark plugs in it.  Had the carb rebuilt as will. It acts like it's not getting gas but I know for a fact it is. I suppose it could be flooding but even when I hold be foot to the floor till the battery dies, it still won't start. It tries to start but barely and dies in a half-second. I'm out of ideas. Prom is this weekend and I'd really like to take it! Please help!
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2014 at 5:38AM
First, drive it until it quits. Get out, remove the air cleaner and work the throttle linkage. Getting a good squirt of gas? Yes? Fuel pump is working.

Vapor lock? Quick temp remedy is to attach several wooden clothes pins to the fuel line going into the carb from the pump. They absorb heat away from the line.

Is the choke closing accidentally when warm? Adjust the choke to release .

Electronic distributor retrofit? Check the DuraSpark (or whatever brand you are using) box. Also the reluctor in the distributor itself may be going bad.

Need more info on what it does before, during, and when it quits.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2014 at 5:44AM
fuel filter? may be losing power from the ignition switch to the coil? when it does this are your spark plugs wet? or bone dry? had a problem like yours many years ago with a 76 ford 4x4 replaced lotsa stuff (walked home 20 miles many times go back to get it ,it would start and run fine) ended up being a bad condenser (the round thing by the points with one wire to the points) another thought check your breaker plate in the dist. the pivot point it hinges on can wear or break then your points gap will be way off each time you check it, i've always set my points at .018 for any car and they always ran great!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
fenderfan15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fenderfan15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2014 at 5:45AM
When it quits it just stops. When I try to start it, it acts like it wants to start but it'll just sputter. I tried starter fluid and it made no difference. I think it's something to do with the ignition system. New plugs is the only thing left to try.
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2014 at 5:58AM
i had an issue with a '74 ford truck once... the distributor bolt came loose... it would drive just fine most of the time, but, usually at the worst possible time... it would die... and not crank. very similar to what you are describing.
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
 Post Reply Post Reply