The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sound System

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fenderfan15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sound System
    Posted: 30-March-2014 at 8:27AM
I put a new radio in my 70 four door and it has outputs for two rear and and two front speakers. I naturally put dual 6x9s in the back but I was wondering if there was anyway I could put a pair in the front. I cant see anywhere that would fit speakers in the front let alone 6x9's. Any ideas on how I could do it or is a single dash speaker my only option?
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2014 at 9:37AM
Have you removed the front door panels yet? Maybe there is a way that you can install one speaker in each front door?
You would also have to have a hole cut in the front door panels to install the speaker grilles too.
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2014 at 3:31PM
I installed a pair of 6" speakers in my kick panels. You have to measure and cut carefully, so they'll fit. I found an extra pair to cut on.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2014 at 6:46AM
Other option, I have a small wedge box I once used for two 4" speakers in front of a floor console.
This was in a Ford Tempo and not a Torino, but the same applies.
Another option, Retrosound makes a dual speaker that fits in the dash center hole opening.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2014 at 12:23PM
Can also get a dual channel single 6x9 for the front center dash. Watch your speaker wire setup with aftermarket radios. Ford used a common ground wire and most high power aftermarket needs floating or separate ground wires to each speaker.  Common ground= 3 wires to rear vs 4 wires etc.
Johnny cash Special 74-75-76 freak. 77 XR7. 78 LTD II sport looks pretty but poop 302 in it.
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2014 at 1:49PM
Just remember, one can never have too many watts...
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
 Post Reply Post Reply