The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

welding lens

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: welding lens
    Posted: 15-April-2014 at 2:41PM
i have an auto darkening lens in my welding helmet (small size) the first one i bought was $100 worked for a couple of years then wouldn't darken, so i found another one almost exactly like it for $20, it started acting up yesterday (can't remove the batteries from the cheap one , but can replace the battery in the expensive one.  my question is:  since there is no on/off switch, should the helmet be kept in the dark/covered when not used to preserve the battery???  anyone else experienced this, and figured out a cure??? any theories??
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2014 at 8:13PM
nobody???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2014 at 8:44PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

my question is:  since there is no on/off switch, should the helmet be kept in the dark/covered when not used to preserve the battery???  anyone else experienced this, and figured out a cure??? any theories??

I have read that it should be kept in the dark/covered (when not in use) to preserve the batteries. Because when you keep it in the light it is automatically darkening the lens and using the batteries, but it is also charging the battery when you leave it out in the bright sunlight, so you do not want to leave it out in the sunlight all of the time, because you could over charge the batteries and ruin them.

But you sould put it out into the sun light for a little while before you use it to re-charge the batteries. Sometimes the batteries are also charging when you are using it to weld, because of the extremely bright light arcs from the welding.

You should try to contact the welding helmet manufacturer to find out how long to leave it out in the sunlight before you are going to use it.

I would guess that if you are going to be using it on and off for a couple of hours, then you should leave it in the sunlight for a couple of hours before you use it. Then when you are finished welding, maybe you should leave it in the sunlight for an hour or two to re-charge the batteries, before you store it in a dark/covered place until you are ready to use it again.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2014 at 9:08PM
thanks dave, that's kinda what i thought. i did replace the battery in the expensive one (it is removable) last night, it works perfectly again! usually it's hanging on the welder, dark with the lights off, but many times the shop lights are on, although the lens does not appear to be darkening then, maybe it is slowly drawing the battery down?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2014 at 9:30PM
Your Welcome, I am sorry i do not know exactly how to answer that question, but i can tell you that a friend of mine has an auto darkening welding helmet and i remember when i would put the front of the welding helmet lens facing his 75 watt ceiling light bulb, (the ceiling light was about six feet away from the front of the welding helmet) and the helmet lens used to automatically darken, so it was using the batteries.

I would recommend to always leave the front of the welding helmet lens facing down and away from any light bulbs or windows. If you can cover the front lens and solar panel charger window with a small towel or a very dark thick plastic bag, it would be even better, because the lens will never automatically darken and it will not drain the batteries.

The automatic lens on-off switch/solar panel charger window, is located at the front of the helmet right on the side of the lens. And if you keep the lens and solar panel charger window covered it will never auto-darken the helmet lens.

Edited by dave302 - 19-April-2014 at 9:43PM
 Post Reply Post Reply