Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hood Adjustment & Installation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hood Adjustment & Installation
    Posted: 19-April-2014 at 9:01AM
So I have arrived at the point it is time to put the hood back on the 75 Sport. I have been reasonably successful with putting body parts back on up to this point (fenders, inner fenders, front nose stuff). Only real issue is that the passenger door has a larger gap at the top (to the fender) and it does toward the bottom. I was able to get the lower half fender-to-door gap just enough to open and close the passenger door, but it is close. 

The hood has been a whole other problem. It's not like I have not put hoods on before, but I have never put one on after having had the whole front end completely off. 

Also, when it comes to body work I am no Legend Onirot (self made extraordinaire). 

The back is high. But the hinges are put all the way down. After some work, it is still a little crooked (up front, crooked from right to left) but will shut pretty straight. Also the latch is up all the way, and I can finally latch the hood but the sides sit down low, and if I raise the forward bumpers then the hood in uncloseable. 

I have some photos below. Is my radiator support too low? I did not replace the bushings on it (yes, I know but I was trying not to get into too many side projects, maybe a mistake I don't know), everything else is literally the parts that came off a year and a half ago - no changes just cleaned and some POR-15 on non-viewable inner surfaces. Even if the radiator support is low, it does not seem to explain everything. 

I am going to stop talking for now and let the photos do the remaining discussion:

Scott Eklund

Webmaster
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2014 at 10:01AM
that's closer than I ever got my hood... I didn't have any problems with the alignment of the fenders, etc. but that core support is the biggest variable in fender gaps...   
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2014 at 10:39AM
Were the doors removed from the car? if not, set the fender gaps by adjusting the fenders. Then, start with the basics:
1. measure distance across the front of the hood opening, and the rear. These should be the same.
2. now measure diagonally left rear to right front, right rear to left front. this will establish "squareness of the front clip"
3. measure from the raised "beak" on the header panel to the windshield posts (right and left) Make sure the clip is "Square" on the car.
4.Can you see any marks where the hinges were on the fenders before? Or marks on the hinges from the bolts? Those are usually good reference/starting points.
7. Once the hinges are mounted, attach the hood. Again, marks from the last install will help get you in the ballpark.
8. Get the rear lined up with the fenders, and check the front/side alignment. Don't try adjusting both sides at the same time, and go slowly with adjusting until the side gaps are good.
For where your hood sits now (high in back, low in front), start by raising the hood stops on the front core support. If the front goes down too far, the back pops up.
Make sure all your hood bumpers (little rubber PITAs in the top of the fender) are in place, and consider painter's tape or similar to protect your paint at the edges.
Good Luck, and be patient. As you adjust it, you will start to see a pattern of "cause and effect" and it will work right out.

"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2014 at 11:28AM
I have been screwing with the hinges on my 73 for a while now . I used to know how to do this. and like every thing else , I'm learning how to do again , best not to over tighten any bolt up , after following the above instructions   then snug up the bolts closest to the firewall then open the hood all the way up ,you may need help holding up on the hood , then snug up the front of the hinge , this raising the front of the hinge lowers the back edge of the hood ,   

Edited by albo74 - 19-April-2014 at 11:34AM
albos73gts
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2014 at 12:01PM
yes, what randy said. if you have a large gap at the top side of the fender(s) you may need to shim up the core support, once that it set check squareness of the hood opening, once that is good,work on the hood. is the rear of the hood hitting the rear bumpers? or can you push down on the rear of the hood and it touches and sits right? your hinges may be worn a little and it will pop back up mine did. just moving the hinge straight down may not cure it, sometimes you need to "rotate the hinge" down in the front ,up on the back bolt or vise versa, sounds strange but all the geometry and the spring pulling on it does weird things ( i know i spent a lot of time adjusting mine (old hinges) then fine tune the hood latch, if you are out of adjustment for a bolt hole you may need to file it out a little to gain the needed adjustment, but check everything else first
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2014 at 12:21PM
in reexamining the above pics, you may need to raise up on the center of the header panel/latch assembly it looks low in the center, which also causes a tight gap at the center ridge of the hood to the header panel. i guess when it comes to "fit & finish" i have a touch of OCD! Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2014 at 2:08PM
If the front sucks down too far, the back pops up. I had the whole front apart on my thunderbird when I changed the engine, took forever to get the front sheetmetal right.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2014 at 7:43AM
So an update: there is none, I have not had time to work on it.

However I have done some looking and thinking on the matter. I appreciate all the input.

I measured the core support bushing gaps, and matched them up to others that have posted theirs here, and on one side I have 1 3/4", 1 1/4" on the other. One side had an extra thick shim, not sure why.

What I am thinking of doing right now (as opposed to tearing the entire front end off) if to get some shims and maybe just try and jack up the loosened core support a but and shim until I get it right. Tearing all that out right now just seems unnecessary if I can correct it with alternative means. McMaster-Carr had some decent shims, and so I will get some .125 thick and .25 thick shims.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2014 at 1:44PM
Scott, I'd say pick up some core support bushings from Summit racing like I did. New shim stock, and done.
Keep in mine too, I had issues and we had to use a ratchet strap and move the whole front end over to the driver side to get things to alight up correctly. I'm a freak about my gaps but I can only rip so much hair off my skull.

I have a wide gap on the back of the hood on the passenger fender. In the long run of things, I just got tot he point of worrying about making sure the hood doesn't pop open on the road :)
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2019 at 9:40AM
Almost about to get my car back from paint and they can't get the hood aligned.   I helped...got it close, but damn what a PITA.   This is the worst panel adjustment I've ever had to make.  

Any sequence/order of adjustment... set back of hinge first then adjust front of hinge?...other tips, etc?

I have new bushings; poly on the radiator support and crown vic bushings for the body.
I gapped the doors to the quarters then gapped the fenders to the doors.   Everything went ok there.

Now setting the hood;  the hood now hits the top of the cowl in the center.   I welded on a 72 hood scoop and the under carriage frame onto the 73 hood.  That shifted things a little but I had it all assembled and gapped everything including the cowl to hood gap before taking the car  to paint.

I used modeling clay rope on top of the cowl to make sure the hood didn't hit the cowl when i closed it.

Help anyone?

Im about to take the hood off and use a small sledge with a wood block to persuade the cowl down 1/8" or so....

Its hitting perfectly center about teh size of a dime.

-John
1973 GTS
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2019 at 1:49PM
are you having issues with the hood raising up at the back when it's closed all the way? i had issues with mine doing that...drove me nuts Wacko  what i had to do was drop the hinges all the way down then with the rear bolt there i raised the front of the hinge up half way in the slot Wink when it closes the last bit the geometry over centers on the arms of the hinge causing it to lift up and the end ....
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2019 at 2:08PM
yup....exactly

I lower the rear of the hinge incrementally until the rear f the hood is level with the fenders.

Next loosen front of hinges and adjust up incrementally 

No matter what I do... hood hits the cowl.

Talking to andy ....he explained how bad the tolerances are he has 1/2 of shims under the fender.

It looks like I need to shim the fenders more to raise the height of the hood more.  I'm shim ming the radiator support and fender to raise it.

I fabricated  a pole from pvc pipe that is notched at the top to hold the top of the hood in the latch hole and the bottom sits at the latch base.  I use wood blocks to raise or lower the pole  at the latch base to hold the hood in position to set the hinge bolts.

Edited by BackInBlack - 03-December-2019 at 2:13PM
-John
1973 GTS
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2019 at 3:57PM
This is exactly why I hesitate to paint the pieces and then put it together.
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2019 at 4:04PM
do you have the 2 hex shaped bumpers on each corner of the rear? (you may need to adjust them down until the rest fits then slowly turn them up..
 and do you have the round center bumper on the cowl? you may need to remove it until it fits and closes right then figure the height and trim it if needed???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2019 at 4:07PM
Originally posted by lynchster lynchster wrote:

This is exactly why I hesitate to paint the pieces and then put it together.

try doing what i'm doing with the mustang ConfusedWackoWacko!!! it's like building a car 4 times ConfusedOuch
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2019 at 9:55PM
the bumpers are adjusted down and tried removing them.  Didn't help.  hood hits the cowl before touching the bumper on driver side.

I had to repaint because previous owner sprayed a crap peeling flaking off earl schieb  paint job.   I would rather have kept the stock paint

-John
1973 GTS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2019 at 8:47AM
FYI....success
Got the hood to finally settle in.

1st problem.  The left hinge was popped.   It wasn't moving correctly compared to the oposite side hinge.   I grabbed the front of the hood and pushed up firmly; then POP.   About crapped my pants.  I think the short lever on the hinge was in the wrong position.   Pushing up forced the parts to realigned.  FYI...I had the hinges rebuilt with new pressed rivets and had everything setup before taking it to hte paint shop.   Somehow they must have dropped the hinge...or something to mess it up.  I'm not sure.

After changing my pants...I realized everything is lining up and open/closing properly....yeah!

2nd problem was the hood hitting the cowl.   I measure all around the car at mid line to see how it was sitting and measured the front frame horns to ground.   1 side frame horn was ~1/2" higher than the other indicating that the radiator support was 1/2 higher on one side than the other.  This shifted teh fender alignment big time.   I next shimmed the radiator support bushing so both sides were equal height at the head light bezels (end cap thing).

Next shimmed the back of the fender near the door up 1/4" on both sides...close the hood now i have a nice 1/4" gap between cowl and hood.  Everything closes perfectly now.

Hope this helps someone else if they run into this. 
-John
1973 GTS
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2019 at 12:10PM
the hitting the cowl thing had me confused... it should have about 1/4-3/8" clearance, i didn't think it was a hinge issue because i remembered you had them rebuilt with new rivetsShocked
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2019 at 1:30PM
Due to the hinge not working properly....it forced me to set the hinge to low.  Even when set in the lowest position it still hit the cowl.  It was swinging through a strange arc.  The shims was the core problem and the hinge didn't  help matters.

I have 1/4" gap now between cowl and hood.
-John
1973 GTS
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2019 at 2:28PM
Thumbs Up get the whole front clip fitting right, then adjust the doors to match the fenders, then the rear of the doors to the quarters Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2019 at 3:57AM
Yup...its reverse order that what I would expect.   I would think you set the doors first to the quarters, but on this car.
-John
1973 GTS
 Post Reply Post Reply