The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fastback roof onto a notchback car?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fastback roof onto a notchback car?
    Posted: 04-May-2014 at 1:53AM
The Montego that I've been looking at getting has about 60% of the roof completely rusted gone. There is also some extensive rust around the rear window under the vinyl roof. The car is a MX with the formal notch roof. I am thinking, if I need to replace the entire roof skin, to include the rear window surround...Would it really be that much more work to graft on a fastback roof, rear window and trunk?  Has this been done? Or am I just having crazy thoughts?

Ooh, ignore that last sentence.

Edited by kychevyguy - 04-May-2014 at 1:57AM
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2014 at 4:07AM
You would need the roof, inner structure, rear package tray, supports, 1/4 panels, side /rear glass, and trunk supports to begin with. Probably other items as well. I think it is way cool as a Formal.

If you wanted to drive to Chattanooga, I have a Torino formal roof I'd give you.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2014 at 2:51PM
Anything CAN be done, but is it really worth the effort and cost to do that?  I think that would be a huge project and cost a lot to gather the parts.  
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2014 at 3:51PM
Deep down, I agree as I already knew. I prefer the fastbacks, and just had a crazy thought that if I had to already replace the entire roof, why not put on the roof I would like more. But I knew it would be a lot more to it than that. My head was talking, I just wasn't listening.
Maybe I should just make arrangements to make a road trip to see Joe in Chattanooga. I guess I could always plan on a fastback for my next project...
The cart is before the horse anyway as the guy still hasn't decided on if he will sell me this 4speed Q-code or not.
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2014 at 6:59PM
There is a guy who purchased a 1966 mustang fastback and he drove it for a while, and later on he had realized that it is actually a notchback mustang with a fastback roof grafted onto it. To see it click here.

Edited by dave302 - 04-May-2014 at 8:09PM
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2014 at 7:54PM
The process of converting the formal roof/notchback roof car into a fastback roof car, has been done many times by mustang owners.
There is a good video on this subject, To see the video click here.

There is a Custom Shop who specializes in this type of conversion. They have a whole thread/page with pictures of this process, that they did to a mustang. To see the story and all of the pictures of the process, click here.
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2014 at 8:01PM
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2014 at 8:07PM
There is another good article about another roof conversion, you will have to click on the pictures to make them larger. Click here to see the article.
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2014 at 1:10AM
Here is the thing about cars, boats, trucks, etc (maybe not houses. Maybe).

If you want a fastback Montego, find a good  one and buy it. If you can't really afford one, you won't be able to affort to build one. It like Gravity man, you can't get around the natural laws!  I wish it were different, but its not.  I'll have 2x the cost into my car than I'll ever recover.

If you like doing that sort of work and have all the facilities, that's a different story.  But that's the rare case IMHO.  

I've rehabbed cars and boats and in the end I would always have been better off taking the $ I spent over the life of the project, and saving and buying the finished product.  
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2014 at 2:21AM
If you do get it, let me know where you want the roof cut.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2014 at 5:35AM
Why did I just get the mental image of Joe standing beside his parts Torino with his sawzall in his hand (gunning the machine with his trigger finger) asking where do I cut? Can I cut here? What about here? How 'bout here?  LOL
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2014 at 10:08AM
This is a milwaukee 6536-21, the most powerful sawzall in the world.
It can take your roof clean off... Do ya feel lucky?
Go ahead, Make my day.

"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
madmaxtorino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Zombie Killing Training Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2014 at 1:45PM
I changed the roof on a 68 mustang to fastback. was actually not that hard. Montego wouldn't be any harder if you have a donor car.
Allan
Revelation 6:8
When there is no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth.
 Post Reply Post Reply